• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

It's alive !!

jimwjarmour

jimmy armour
Hi again everyone, well just started up my new to me 2000 r1100rt I have installed a new clutch checked the ign pick up wireing and belt all ok new belt 3000 km ago,installed the new starter , adjusted the valves etc, changed oil and filter ,and after more than a few turns she fired right up , what I was expecting was the dreaded cam chain rattle but there was none! so I have taken her up the road a wee bit and all seems fine , have started her a few times allowing time for oil to drain even overnight but again no cam chain noise ,my question is should I still replace the cam tentioner , the top nut is 17 mm not the 15 of the modified type did the rattle only happen on some bikes ? once again thank you in advance ,Jimmy:dance

Woo-Hoo!!! Congratulations!
Yes, I would do it. Cheap insurance against an actual failure, not "just" a noise-reducer.

The rattle is most evident on a hot startup.

The upgraded tensioner will protect the chain guide from breaking as mileage mounts.
It is a recommended mod.

Attachments

• new_tensioner_parts_sept_06.jpg
    new_tensioner_parts_sept_06.jpg
    128.7 KB · Views: 204
rattle at start up

thanks again guys ,I thought it was cold start up, so will order parts and install over the winter, not putting her on the road until next year,along with s/s brake hoses, once again thank you for taking the time to assist on old airhead go boldly into the future!!:thumb ps does the upgraded tensioner not use a spring?

new tensioner

The upgraded tensioner in the photo has the spring inside. Just be careful to follow the procedure exactly so you don't drop the old spring and piston in the crankcase like I did.:banghead I put a dab of axle grease on the new piston so it stayed together when turned upside down. Yes, I got the old parts back out, but I had the whole front of the engine timing gear out of the way.

so you don't drop the old spring and piston in the crankcase like I did.

I did drop mine into the crankcase but pulled everything out with a magnet (not easily, though). I don't think there's any risk of it ending up any deeper than the adjuster shoe.

Chris Harris youtube walks you through the procedure, though you don't really need the "notched" wrench he uses.

Lucknow?

Dang, I grew up in Wingham - not a lot of BMW bikes in that area - I'm in London now but do get back there romantic time to time.
Rod

I did drop mine into the crankcase but pulled everything out with a magnet (not easily, though). I don't think there's any risk of it ending up any deeper than the adjuster shoe.

Chris Harris youtube walks you through the procedure, though you don't really need the "notched" wrench he uses.
That's normally true, but if you're a complete novice like me, and you have no idea what you're doing,, the bolt that secures to top "shoe" can be removed first, along with the cam sprocket bolt, and the parts end up in the crankcase. It's not easy to screw it up that bad, but I did manage to.:)

cam chain adjuster

The upgraded tensioner in the photo has the spring inside. Just be careful to follow the procedure exactly so you don't drop the old spring and piston in the crankcase like I did.:banghead I put a dab of axle grease on the new piston so it stayed together when turned upside down. Yes, I got the old parts back out, but I had the whole front of the engine timing gear out of the way.

me again, just ordered the cam chain mod from Motobins uk, they have advised me the new cam chain adjuster does not use a spring but is hydraulic? is this correct ? Jimmy:scratch

me again, just ordered the cam chain mod from Motobins uk, they have advised me the new cam chain adjuster does not use a spring but is hydraulic? is this correct ? Jimmy:scratch

It does have a captive spring with a hydraulic check valve. See Post #3 bottom image.

Back