• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

On The Way To MOA Rally: Canada150

tourunigo

An interesting thing happened in our plans to attend our rally in Salt Lake City: We, 68 and 67 yrs, decided to ride the longest, national highway in the world on a 25 year old BMW. The 1992 K1100LT, pulling a Uni-go trailer, has had a couple of significant transplants and is now ready, yet again, for another two up adventure.

We ride from St John's, Newfoundland to Victoria, British Columbia. We are following all 7,800 km (4,900 miles) of the original Trans-Canada Highway; it will take us two days and 1,200 km (700 miles) just to get over to the starting point in Newfoundland but that's the way it is: Mile 0 to Mile 0. Depends who you're talking to.

Leaving on June 11, 2017 and arriving in Victoria on July 1st, Canada Day. Look for this sign on the side of the Uni-go:

Presentation2_zpslqzxqu4d.jpg

I will be posting as we go. Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/pg/Salty-Fog-Riders-403206213079791/posts
- Bob

Last edited:
Bob, I plan to catch up to you as you pass near Calgary on your way to BC. I know you will keep us all informed as to progress. :dance

I see Rally Touring Awards in your future, so mount a "luggage rack" on the lid of that trailer... for the hardware haul back home! Better yet, ship it.
Just how many Tim Hortons will you visit? Seriously... contact them for "sponsorship". This will be fun to follow, great plan... enjoy the journey.
Looking forward to the Salt Lake toast!

"travel'n" john ...aka: "three bowl" john

Bob, I plan to catch up to you as you pass near Calgary on your way to BC. I know you will keep us all informed as to progress. :dance

Will keep you updated regarding that Ken on PM. Plan to stay at Sicamous KOA in BC after getting new tires in Calgary. Have friends in Calgary that we are looking forward to seeing as well. - Bob

Sounds like a great trip, good luck. Would love to meet up in the beer garden, buy you a couple and hear of your tale of the road.

:thumb Now that sounds like a plan. Maine :scratch..... In a prior life I was from Portland. Deering High grad. Going to 50th high school reunion after returning from the rally at the end of July. 50..... dang, I never thought that I'd have ever even graduated! - Bob

Sounds like a great trip plan. I've ridden almost all of the Trans Canada too. I have only the Newfoundland portion to check off yet. Perhaps we'll have to plan a Canada night in the beer gardens to meet and swap Canadian stories. :ca

:thumb Now that sounds like a plan. Maine :scratch..... In a prior life I was from Portland. Deering High grad. Going to 50th high school reunion after returning from the rally at the end of July. 50..... dang, I never thought that I'd have ever even graduated! - Bob

I'll be the guy in the white n blue BMW ball cap with rally pins on it. Presque Isle here, Deering Highschool often beat us in basketball. Some family roots in New Brunswick, love the maritimes. Ride safe.

Jerry

I see Rally Touring Awards in your future, so mount a "luggage rack" on the lid of that trailer... for the hardware haul back home! Better yet, ship it.
Just how many Tim Hortons will you visit? Seriously... contact them for "sponsorship". This will be fun to follow, great plan... enjoy the journey.
Looking forward to the Salt Lake toast!

"travel'n" john ...aka: "three bowl" john

I doubt the awards part John but I suspect lots of stories will be picked up along the way! Tim Horton's? We have our Press Release out to them for support along the way (i.e. coffee and a sandwich periodically along the way). Had one to Subway (our favorite on the road) but they essentially support non-profit events. :scratch hmmmm..... at the rate we're going here we are far from making a profit on this ride. :laugh We do understand their reasoning and will be making use of their product along the way. - Bob

What a great idea & epic way to celebrate Canada's 150th Birthday.

Keep us posted on your travels, lots of pictures please!

Sure thing. Will be a very busy ride but we will be trying to record (narrative, photo and video) as much as possible. A ride has turned into a project :laugh - Bob

:type With 20 days to 'lift off', we have had contact with various government and corporate entities. A couple resources, one media and one corporate (ferry), have expressed interest. The BMW shop in Victoria sent a note of encouragement and "look forward to meeting with us". However, one thing that we found most interesting is the response from BMW Motorrad Canada. While we fall outside of traditional monetary support (we never asked for that), they had nothing to offer. We really thought that they may show at least a modest interest but that did not happen:scratch. Just a bit disappointing since, at least at a basic level, our bike is a quarter century old and maybe that speaks well for the brand. Anyway, it really is just a modest 'side note' to our preparing for this nice little ride. Today, having nailed down our schedule, we're putting the needed motels, friends and cabin-camping ducks in a row. It will be a great ride!

As mentioned before, I look forward to posting some of our journey here and 'telling tales' in the Salt Lake City BMWMOA Beer Tent. - Bob

Tully and I look forward to seeing you again. You can tell us all about the adventure in the Red Dog Saloon

Well, I've not had much luck writing this journey on the Forum. May be something to be done 'retro style' when we are home. Now in Regina, Sask. Most of the journey from June 10 had been a battle with the Weather Gods. But the sun is looking good for the remainder of the ride. Tomorrow is Medicine Hat, Alberta then Calgary. After that two nights following the Trans-Canada through British Columbia. June 30 takes us into Victoria, on Vancouver Island with July 1,Canada Day, being a 'loud 'n' proud' big flag ride down the center of town to the Mile 0 marker and the formal end of our journey.

If you're interested in some of this, you can click on this link. I have found it difficult to update even that site due to long days and being somewhat tired by the time we roll into a reasonably rated hotel (not much of that around!). Anyway, if interested just go to...........

https://www.facebook.com/pg/Salty-Fog-Riders-403206213079791/posts/?ref=page_internal

See you in SLC! - Bob

I'm wonder'n....

Are you two back yet? Can't tell from the "Face-e-book" exactly. And I know towing that MOA Tour hardware makes for slow progress.
Still, if like most of us... you couldn't wait to depart that Rally Site... at speed, on the Sunday of departure.
I was never so happy to reach Steamboat Springs Co and a beautiful campsite on that afternoon.
Hoping you've had a good ride and fine travels; it was great to see you both again.

"travel'n" John

Really EPIC! Thanks for sharing it along the way ;)

Glad I collected hugs early at the Rally and got to see your sMilin' faces!

Voni
sMiling too

Really EPIC! Thanks for sharing it along the way ;)

Glad I collected hugs early at the Rally and got to see your sMilin' faces!

Voni
sMiling too

Thanks for the comment.... and the hugs! Epic? LOL, seems the older we get the more 'epic' it gets. We will be spending the winter sorting through 8,000 + pictures and seeing what stories emerge. Hope/intent is to publish some things. Will also post a little Ride Report in the Fall. For now, just getting home (700 more miles remaining after family visits) will be nice. - Bob and Mary

Back