• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

2016 R1200RT Clutch free play and engage point.

rick601

So I'm going for the 600 service this Wednesday. Just wondering if my clutch is tight...it has less about 3/16" free play (that feels OK) but the clutch engages immediately from there. ie, it tales less than an inch or so of pull to operate the clutch. This seems high to me. Truth is though, if it's hydraulic, what do I know!! my others are mechanical. I like the light feel, but that high engagement is hard to get used to...is it right? (This has nothing to do with adjustable clutch lever BTW, afaik). I'd like some voices of experience before I lay myself at the service writers mercy!

You're correct, the clutch friction area is almost full lever released. To get use to lever position Vs clutch friction point; suggest, level ground, stopoed, first gear, turn off bike, and use your feet to push bike while releasing clutch lever; as a result, you will get a better idea where clutch friction begins Vs lever position.

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

You're correct, the clutch friction area is almost full lever released. To get use to lever position Vs clutch friction point; suggest, level ground, stopoed, first gear, turn off bike, and use your feet to push bike while releasing clutch lever; as a result, you will get a better idea where clutch friction begins Vs lever position.

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

Thx. I'll do that. On cars, high clutch is sign of short clutch life and my other bikes require more and longer pull. This is taking a little getting used to.

So I'm going for the 600 service this Wednesday. Just wondering if my clutch is tight...it has less about 3/16" free play (that feels OK) but the clutch engages immediately from there. ie, it tales less than an inch or so of pull to operate the clutch. This seems high to me. Truth is though, if it's hydraulic, what do I know!! my others are mechanical. I like the light feel, but that high engagement is hard to get used to...is it right? (This has nothing to do with adjustable clutch lever BTW, afaik). I'd like some voices of experience before I lay myself at the service writers mercy!

Since you will be at the dealership compare it to another similar bike they have there.

Totally normal.
Clutch engages if you breathe on it heavy and the brake lever has to be squeezed halfway before it engages.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Yep ... I complained about the same issue on my 2016 RT. I am used to it engaging close to the grip as it does on my 2012 GSA. The dealer said there is no adjustment but I believe Jon Von Baden has instruction on how to adjust it.

Totally normal.
brake lever has to be squeezed halfway before it engages.

It did not take me long to get used to the clutch engagement point but took awhile to get used to the front brake feel.
My wife's 2016 R1200RS has the same clutch and front brake feel.

Yep ... I complained about the same issue on my 2016 RT. I am used to it engaging close to the grip as it does on my 2012 GSA. The dealer said there is no adjustment but I believe Jon Von Baden has instruction on how to adjust it.

I've adjusted the clutch lever engagement on my '16 RT. I didn't like it being soooo far out from the grip. It's fairly easy adjustment to make. Take the lever off and you'll see a set screw covered in red threadlock, give it 2-3 turns counterclockwise, and see if that suits you.

Ski

I have the same issue, clutch doesn't engage until fully released and MAX BMW said the same thing. I have gone to two fingers on the clutch lever but didn't know about the set screw.

Adjusting the Master Cylinder Set Screw - Clutch or Brakes

Adjusting the throw of the plunger arm on either of the two master cylinders is a serious adjustment.

Over adjusting the clutch, making the plunger longer, can lead to the clutch getting "pumped up" with the result a slipping clutch.

Over adjusting the brake master cylinder can lead to lock up!!!

Ask me how I know...

Do the adjustment one thread at a time and take the bike out for a very short test ride working either the clutch or the brake a lot, depending on which one was adjusted.

A singe ride around my block was enough to heat the fronts up to the point of lock up.

I backed off two threads and did the same around the block ride. No problem.

Too much adjustment and the brake master cylinder cannot open enough to release pressure. It will build up with every use of the lever until lock up.

Out bike's (2016 R1200RS) lever feel is greatly improved, a lot less mushy with good feel.

I've not had any real problem with the clutch or clutch lever pull.

Deryle Mehrten
Sierra Vista, AZ USA

Back