• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

K75 choke light not working

K75solo

So, my 1995 K75's choke light on the instrument panel does not energize when choked (I know it is technically a cold idle setting) and hasn't worked since I acquired the bike last summer. I replaced the instrument bulb and that did not solve the issue. Can someone give me the definitive cause and solution for this? Is it something a white-collar schmuck like me could repair? Thank you for your help.

Attachments

• ozbmwsml.jpg
    ozbmwsml.jpg
    86 KB · Views: 66
Why not send a photo of the "light?" That is, it's highly unlikely there is a light in the first place. Does your owners manual state there is a light?

The switch that acctuates the light was eliminated on all K75s around '92 (as a cost savings measure? Dumb!!!).

If your instrument cluster does not have the choke symbol next to the light, it doesn't have the switch for the light on the throttle body.

If you have the choke symbol on your post '92 cluster, you don't have the original cluster that your bike came with (and your total mileage on your odometer is not correct).

:dance:dance:dance

Fixed!

The switch that acctuates the light was eliminated on all K75s around '92 (as a cost savings measure? Dumb!!!).

Well, I sure feel stupid! I just never noticed the absence of the little symbol before. Cost savings? Amazing. So it works find now, thank you!

Picture of my '88 showing the symbol, and the 95 without (wet and bad photo as we got 7" of snow today!)

Attachments

• 88choke.jpg
    88choke.jpg
    60.1 KB · Views: 60
  • 95choke.jpg
    95choke.jpg
    78.4 KB · Views: 63
Pippen,

While I believe it is possible to retrofit your '95 with the switch, it is a bit of a pain in the ass. You need the switch (about $45) and a special spacer ring (about $5). I believe the connection is still on the wireing harness, but I could be wrong (memory not serving me that well). Access to the spot at the rear of the throttlebody where the switch installs is really tough.

You should be able to know that the fast idle is on when you come to the first stop sign within one or two miles of starting. If I know there is no stop within two miles of starting off, I just turn the fast idle off as soon as I pull away as it won't be needed (and I have a light).

Thanks

Not a critical need for the indicator light and knowing it was not fitted with one satisfies me. Thank you for your time.

I put one on my '94 K75 just because the light was there. There was even a bulb in the holder already; all I had to do was install the switch.

I put one on my '94 K75 just because the light was there. There was even a bulb in the holder already; all I had to do was install the switch.

And the spacer ring. The ring maintains the correct position of the switch so that it doesn't hold the throttle open.

13 61 31 1 459 569 SWITCH $44.94

14 13 54 1 460 926 RING $2.40

Back