• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

Keyless ride

Dp1guzzi

MOA 27106
OK, here's another question. I will soon be taking delivery on a 2017 RT with keyless ride. Is the keyless ride reliable? Several years back, I remember some people getting stuck because the bike didn't recognize the key fob. Is this a concern? I would hate to be a thousand miles from home and not be able to start the bike because of such a failure.

Only issue I have had is at a couple of specific pumps at our local Mobile station, these pumps have "fast gas" readers and can interfere with the keyless operation. This results in you having to push bike about 10 feet to get out of range of the reader. BMW is aware of this issue, from what I gathered from my dealer it's a service station issue not a bike fault.
I would suggest though you order a extra standard key(non chipped) and use it where a key is required, seat and top case on my bike. The key on the fob is rather cheaply made and easily broken

Great information; thanks!

Any comments on general reliability in the long run? I plan to keep the bike for a long time. I assume that there are batteries in the fob or antenna or both.

OK, here's another question. I will soon be taking delivery on a 2017 RT with keyless ride. Is the keyless ride reliable? Several years back, I remember some people getting stuck because the bike didn't recognize the key fob. Is this a concern? I would hate to be a thousand miles from home and not be able to start the bike because of such a failure.
2000 km on my own 2017 GSA keyless... No issues no problems... Actually the only problem I've had with the "key" is a stuck lock on the top case. Sorry can't give you any long term reporting.

I love the features that keyless brings and how the bike shuts off and is disabled without the key nearby... Perfect for my security concerns where I live.

Sent from my SM-G920F using Tapatalk

Great information; thanks!

Any comments on general reliability in the long run? I plan to keep the bike for a long time. I assume that there are batteries in the fob or antenna or both.

I am on a 2015 RT and have had no issues other than the fob battery running out of life. Simple fix.

When you get the warning for low battery, replace the battery SOON. It will avoid a failure when you want it. The battery is cheap enough to carry a spare. Off course you have to remember where you carefully placed it so you could easily find it!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Battery key fob

I am on a 2015 RT and have had no issues other than the fob battery running out of life. Simple fix.

When you get the warning for low battery, replace the battery SOON. It will avoid a failure when you want it. The battery is cheap enough to carry a spare. Off course you have to remember where you carefully placed it so you could easily find it!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Had same the light came on the maintenance panel. Like U easy fix. I have 29,000 miles. Really like the key less.

2016 just over a year old and just north of 4,000 miles with no issues at all. Just make sure you carry the spare plastic key either hidden somewhere on the bike or on your person and you won't be stranded even if you loose the fob. I love the convenience that keyless provides ... have had it on my car for over four years and although I didn't think it was a real big deal before I got it, I think it's a real nice thing to have and didn't hesitate to add it on the RT when I placed my order. BTW, where you at on the Island Don?

I had keyless on my Concours. It was worthless! The only thing it did was work the ignition which actually still had the key in under the big knob that was hiding it. You still had to remove the key and use it for the fuel tank and the bags.

BMW did it right. I never need to use a key for anything. Everything is a simple button push. I really like this system.

I've had keyless on several cars also and never had a problem with any of them. My RT is a year old with over 12000 miles and it works perfectly.

OK, here's another question. I will soon be taking delivery on a 2017 RT with keyless ride. Is the keyless ride reliable? Several years back, I remember some people getting stuck because the bike didn't recognize the key fob.

Are you thinking about the EWS problem with a regular chip key 8 to 10 years ago?

Are you thinking about the EWS problem with a regular chip key 8 to 10 years ago?

Lee has a good point. OP's reference sounds more like BMW's antenna ring debacle for '08/'09 MY...nothing to do with a keyless system. My experience with keyless has been fine...from Harley to BMW's keyless not a problem. However, just like any remote FOB, keep the battery fresh.

I had the keyless on the Concours about 10 years ago, and it was a problem because it had an actual mechanical key switch with an open top that could get dust and gunk down inside, that could cause problems.

I've had the keyless on my RT for a couple of years, and it's worked out very well. The central locking is very convenient.

One suggestion I would make is to carry an extra battery. I was in Montana and started getting an error message for low key fob battery. You can still start the bike with a dead fob battery, but it looks like a major hassle.

My RT only came with one fob, so I ordered a second and had it programmed - for maybe $280, or so.

I have over two K miles on my new RT and can report no problems. Love the feature. Never have to pull the key fob out of your pocket. Central locking is nice when stopping a public places. Only thing I've heard is that they are expensive should you have to buy another.

With these keyless systems, does the bike shut off if the fob is moved a certain distance away?

With these keyless systems, does the bike shut off if the fob is moved a certain distance away?

No, it does not. You simply get a warning on the dash that the key is out of range. You would, of course, be unable to restart the bike after you shut it off. It basically works the same as a car with the same feature (well, at least the way our Audi's work).

...(well, at least the way our Audi's work).

Thanks.

We rented a BMW 2 in Ireland recently, and while I was walking around at the Old Head of Kinsale, taking pictures, it started talking to my wife. :D

Karin's Ireland pics 290.jpg

I kind of like keyless; tried it on a Harley a while back. :D

I had the key in the back suitcases and the display started flashing that the key was out if distance and it started to slowly disable the bike, as in the engine felt governed and really slow throttle response.

I think if you get too far away it will shut the bike down.

I'll take a ride tomorrow and do an experiment.

Sent from my SM-G920F using Tapatalk

If that's the case and the battery dies while you're riding, then I guess you end up stuck ... doesn't make much sense. Also, you can start the bike with the auxiliary plastic key but you don't have to keep that key stuck up under the instrument cluster after it's running. I'm fairly confident the bike will continue running just fine. In fact, I remember reading recently (like a few days ago) about a fellow who lost his key (fell out of his pocket as he left the freeway) ... he saw the warning lights come on as he rode away and no mention that the bike shut down. Here's the link:

http://bmwsporttouring.com/ubbthreads/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=980268#Post980268

I had the key in the back suitcases and the display started flashing that the key was out if distance and it started to slowly disable the bike, as in the engine felt governed and really slow throttle response.

I think if you get too far away it will shut the bike down.

You only need the fob to start the bike. You can start the bike, leave the key at home and go for a ride without any problem.
Just make sure you do not shut the bike off on that ride. :)

I'm fairly confident the bike will continue running just fine. In fact, I remember reading recently (like a few days ago) about a fellow who lost his key (fell out of his pocket as he left the freeway) ... he saw the warning lights come on as he rode away and no mention that the bike shut down.

It was probably 2013 when I read a first ride review of the GS with keyless.
One of the magazine writers took off while the BMW rep was still holding the fob.
The bike ran great, but after the first gas stop he could not start the bike.

I once dropped my key fob at a gas station and rode about 200 miles to my house (near empty) before I realized that I lost my key fob. Had I stopped I would have been SOL. They found it by the gas pumps and mailed it back to me. Now I never take it out of my pocket!

Back