• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

Keyless ride

I guess I should read up on how to remove the speaker just in case.
I'll be ordering my spare batteries and doing a dry run of that swap soon....

GS - antenna under seat, reach under and hold dead fob above rear wheel, under antenna
RS, R - antenna under seat, remove seat and hold dead fob above antenna
RT - antenna behind instrument panel, remove the f*king speakerand stick your arm through the hole while holding dead fob!!​

One would think BMW would be able to identify ONE, easy to access location and implement it across all bikes. Preferably one that wouldn't require you to remove parts or get dirty, or both. They found such a location once:

K16 - antenna near gas cap, hold dead fob on top of tank​

Ain't technology wonderful! One has to wonder, do the rewards outweigh the risks?

I'm starting to get the feeling you don't like the idea of keyless ride :)

I tend to be opposed to technology that answers a question that did not need to be asked.

Example: In 2004 Voni and I were in Africa for three back-to-back tours in southern Africa with Ayres Adventures. Ron was riding a then brand new R1200GS. Three days into the tour he started having starting problems. By day five the bike wouldn't start. So the "spare" F650 came off the trailer and the non-working 1200 went on the trailer. For the next 7 weeks we towed the dead motorcycle around while Ron rode the lowly F650 until we got back to Johannesburg. The dealerships in Johannesburg, Capetown, and Windhoek all said it was the new gizmo called the anti-theft antenna ring but they didn't have any and couldn't get any from Germany.

Should one of the other bikes crapped out for any reason we would have been SOL for a while because the spare bike was broken and just taking up space. We did have the ability to put a second bike on the trailer, but still ...!

My FOB on my 15rt started showing battery symbol on dash, less than 3 minutes I installed a new battery
Since they came two to a pack extra is stored in topcase if thee need arises
I must be in the minority as I like the keyless system, unless i'am at certain pumps at Mobile service stations were Fastgas immobilizes my bike

I tend to be opposed to technology that answers a question that did not need to be asked.

I was being sarcastic because it was the third time in this thread you made the negative remark about technology:)
I had the same feeling about Servo Brakes.

Back