• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

So long K 12/13 S

Great bike but honestly was a bit of a oddity in the lineup currently. I bet it didn't sell well over the past few years.

Sent from my Pixel using Tapatalk

It did not sell well the last few years.
So far there has been no believable talk about a K1300S replacement.
We're down to only one K bike now, the K1600.

You have to thi k if they are chasing the bagger crowd with the newest iteration of 1600, the concept S we saw a few years back would be a possible release.
And no, the 1000RR or XR is not a comporable option to the former K S's ...to me anyways having ridden them all

....We still have one of our two K12S's, so, sad to see the line dropped......
We're had 2 K1200S and 2 K1300S, and they are still the best sport-tourer on the planet. Too bad the S1000XR wasn't a little less "adventure" and a bit more "RS".

We're had 2 K1200S and 2 K1300S, and they are still the best sport-tourer on the planet. Too bad the S1000XR wasn't a little less "adventure" and a bit more "RS".

I figured BMW would come out with a S1000S or S1000RS but it doesn't look like it will happen.

K Bikes

I have owned several BMW's over the past several years including late model GS's, a R1200S, K1200S as well as my current steed which is a 2012 K1300s and can say of all, the K1300S has been the best of them all. I use this as a daily commuter as well as a long distant ride where in both instances, fills the need perfectly. It is sad to hear BMW has dropped manufacturing of these bikes however should the need arise to replace my current ride, there will always be late model K1300S's in the marketplace with very low miles on them. Long live the K1300S!
:burnout

It is sad to hear BMW has dropped manufacturing of these bikes however should the need arise to replace my current ride, there will always be late model K1300S's in the marketplace with very low miles on them. Long live the K1300S!
:burnout

I feel the same way about my K1300GT. However, the issue has to come up as to how long parts availability will hold for all the wedge-K bikes now that the S is gone. There have already been issues with parts availability causing delays on engine rebuilds. Transmission individual parts have never been available; the only option for a lunched tranny is buy a complete new unit--and how long will they be available? Some body parts for the K12GT models are already NLA, with the note they should be replaced with K13GT parts--which fit but don't match. So to me, this starts to look like a model line where owners may find themselves out of luck when it comes time for the first major rebuild. That's a shame, as the wedge-K bikes are some of the best that BMW has built.

Best,
DG

Maintenance wise, the Wedges are way more labor intensive than any other model we own. My least favorite model to wrench on. Same generic tasks take more labor hours.The learning curve of engineering needed tweaks was aggravating on the 12's as well.
I liked my K12S, but love my R12S way more for the sporty riding. Feeling the boxer twin under me way more than the smooth 4 keeps me out of trouble...I tell myself. Guess my trip to the dark side wasn't for me. Fun to ride though:dance Zero to ticket in less than three shifts:whistle
I toured only a few times on mine as I have a favorite GSA for that task, but other than minimal weather protection, it performed well.

I recently tried to source body panels for the K12GT, they showed a primered only version for the 12, shipped a 13 with the cateye cutout. Had to source a clean used piece (not as plentiful as one would think...that week for sure) to repaint the appropriate color. There were a few other colors allegedly available...but not the dark blue. My clubmate did not want to buy a matching $520 panel for the other side and the cateye badge holder for more $ for both sides.

As I had been talking to a bud recently, the bigger the pyramid of models becomes, the more parts are needed to inventory...at some point a decision is made and it's not always in our interest. I get that at some point parts are NLA...but pretty early compared to a R69S!

Maintenance wise, the Wedges are way more labor intensive than any other model we own. My least favorite model to wrench on.

This was the main reason we traded our K1300S bikes for the R1200RS. We both loved the smooth scary power of the K1300 but I was not comfortably with checking the valves and changing plugs.
The 360 mile round trip to the dealer was a pain for services I was used to doing myself on the Brick bikes.

It can also be a problem on current models. Still waiting for a fairing panel for Debbie's R1200RS that was ordered in October.

The other issue is getting parts in the loop on new bikes for sure as most go to the assy lines until it slows or stops for the season. I recall how long K16 parts were back ordered and not available.

Just swap your good parts for hers:love. :D:bliss

K1200GT Maintenance

Maintenance wise, the Wedges are way more labor intensive than any other model we own. My least favorite model to wrench on. Same generic tasks take more labor hours.The learning curve of engineering needed tweaks was aggravating on the 12's as well.

Snip.

I recently tried to source body panels for the K12GT, they showed a primered only version for the 12, shipped a 13 with the cateye cutout. Had to source a clean used piece (not as plentiful as one would think...that week for sure) to repaint the appropriate color.

henzilla,

I have been doing the routine maintenance (less the first 600 mile service) on our '08 K1200GT from new. She now has 114,000 miles and I am in the process of doing a full service on her.

The most difficult piece of the service is getting to the spark plugs and checking the valve clearance. Even this isn't really "difficult", just time consuming.

A couple of "special" tools makes the job a lot easier for sure.

Our bike tossed it's cam chain at about 40k, yet the valve clearances haven't changed so far, and I don't expect them to be any difference this service.

I also have done all the routine maintenance on our current and past K1200RSs. Routine maintenance was easier for some tasks, just as time consuming for others.

After a parking lot then a gas station tip over, I have three new painted side panels in the shop's attic (Aventurine Silver Metalic).

The first one cost the insurance guys some serious bucks. The second two I picked up for $200 for both in as new condition.

Now they are no longer available painted, only primer, yet still $$$.

Models and their unique-to-them parts will always be a problem as our bikes and cars age.

(Getting some small parts for our 90 M3 is getting harder, she has 101,000 miles; parts for our '86 325ES is getting even harder, she has 260,000 miles.)

Getting parts for me...unobtanium ;)

Deryle & Wanda Mehrten
Sierra Vista, AZ USA

Our bike tossed it's cam chain at about 40k, yet the valve clearances haven't changed so far, and I don't expect them to be any difference this service.

Others have had that experience as well, which is why I will be replacing cam chain, all three sprockets, and slipper rails before spring. Time for a valve check anyway so I might as well just do the chain. 50k on bike. The worst part is getting radiator and other bits out of the way to get to the real work. But, I don't expect it to be worse than what I went through to remove both shocks at once so the ESA could be transferred to an aftermarket shock.

Getting parts for me...unobtanium ;)

Ayup, Beemer Boneyard can't help you there! šŸ˜šŸ˜

Best,
DG

One of ours still had a rattle after the tensioner and guard upgrade I did before it was the warranty campaign :banghead
which led me to replace rails,sprockets, and chain as well. It is now a service item at 30K intervals if you can locate said bulletin.

And trying to get the front strut out of the duolever is a fun task...the first time:laugh

The bricks still take less time to do a major service on for me.

Back