• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

End of run for 650 Thumper

Mine was one of the very first delivered to a customer in the U.S. - November 25, 1996. The dealer unveiling was Saturday, the 28th. They had been in Europe and South/Central America a year or so earlier. This 20 plus year run is exceptional.

F650GS was Annie's first bike and she still has it. Has to be the perfect bike to learn on and then to keep on riding. She rode it from Deadhorse to Montana and many points between. We still have it and will likely keep it for the foreseeable future.

The important question is, what will Gail do once she's ridden the wheels off every available 650 thumper?

The G650 is dead long live the G650!

I had very mixed emotions as I read various articles about the demise of the G650 and the K1300S models for 2017. The G has been part of my short list for an urban rider. The more I thought about it, the more I understood BMW's action. The article lays out their reasons for doing this. So the G650 is dead...as a production model.

However; the G650 remains on my urban rider list. As I thought about it, I have been looking for right used one to show up at the right time. My interest has not diminished. In fact, it is regularly fueled by friends, online and in the real world, finding used F/G 650s. I will continue to casually search for one, as I assume will others. So don't close the G650 portion of the Thumper forum just yet.

The production G650 is dead, long live the used G650!!!

No plans on closing the Thumper section:wave
I hope it picks up more steam real soon as it is.

I still have my eye on a low mileage Dakar model a friend has...just waiting for him to let it go. H's 07 GS is her second 650 and a constant member of her rotation as a commuter/hauler. Just got new driveline bits and is as dependable as one would want.
In the meantime, I'll "struggle" with the Duke 690 I traded my K 12 S for:dance

Thumper On!

My only head scratcher for years was why they renamed the model line instead of starting the parallel twins with the G tag. Was very confusing at first with two 650's with same model number but totally diff machines...oh well.

My only head scratcher for years was why they renamed the model line instead of starting the parallel twins with the G tag. Was very confusing at first with two 650's with same model number but totally diff machines...oh well.

They left the intern in charge of things that day. :)

Letters in the alphabet are very complex. Using said letters to name bikes should be left to highly skilled and accomplished alphabettarions. :scratch Amateurs need not apply.

Letters in the alphabet are very complex. Using said letters to name bikes should be left to highly skilled and accomplished alphabettarions. :scratch Amateurs need not apply.

But as Paul mentioned...someone who was supposed to be a non-amateur wasn't really giving it much thought that time :banghead

They made a similar mistake with the K1200 bikes when they went from the flop-four to the wedge but kept the same main name.

No plans to get rid of mine...

View attachment 59594

i-kw8227j-L.jpg

i-XQ4Z76Q-L.jpg

i-7z7dKXT-L.jpg

Though I've never ridden a Dakar, it has always looked like a well thought out motorcycle.
OM

They made a similar mistake with the K1200 bikes when they went from the flop-four to the wedge but kept the same main name.

Yeah, someone tells you they have a K 1200GT and always a second question ensues:scratch

Back