• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

Thinking about an 06 K12GT

burn-e

HI All

I have been riding an 08 R12RT for the last 8 years, until approximately a month ago. I got T boned by a 99 Lumina on the way home from work. Bike is totaled but I am still walking around. Got the insurance settlement now and looking for a replacement. I am looking at an 06 K12GT that is in my price range but don't know much about the K bikes. I have heard the breaks might be different than what was on the RT. Can anyone elaborate on the breaking system for this bike. Also heard about the timing chain issues. Are there any other issues on the 06 k's I should look out for? I would sure like to get another BMW. I know they have there issues but I haven't owned anything that came close to my RT. Really miss that bike.

Thanks

HI All

I am looking at an 06 K12GT that is in my price range but don't know much about the K bikes. I have heard the breaks might be different than what was on the RT.

The 06 will have servo brakes(like power brakes) The Servo brakes take longer to bleed and the replacement cost is fairly high if they go bad.
I believe the 07Gt has the regular brakes like your 08 RT.
If your budget allows, look for a 09 or newer K1300GT.

Last edited:
Isn't the 07 the first US year for Wedge engine GT and 2004 and maybe a few 2005 the last of the GT Bricks? I thought our friends with first Wedge GT was an 07 ,though it might have been built in 2006.

Big differences if so.

Isn't the 07 the first US year for Wedge engine GT and 2004 and maybe a few 2005 the last of the GT Bricks? I thought our friends with first Wedge GT was an 07 ,though it might have been built in 2006.

You may be right about the 07 being the first year for the Wedge GT. I was thinking about the K1200S.
2004 was the last year for the K1200 Brick in the US and 2005 in Canada.

Edit: The parts fiche shows 2006 to 2008 for the K1200GT Wedge.

You may be right about the 07 being the first year for the Wedge GT. I was thinking about the K1200S.
2004 was the last year for the K1200 Brick in the US and 2005 in Canada.

Edit: The parts fiche shows 2006 to 2008 for the K1200GT Wedge.

I saw that year range as well and assume late 2006 builds released as 07's:scratch
Had several clubmates buy the first ones available and they were 07's.

Same for the R12R...first was an 07, but fiche says 11/05 USA

As for the OP...must be a Wedge...I think

Yep, the build date and "sold as" date do change towards the end of the previous year. A little odd, but that's marketing for you.

I can't speak to the GT but I have servo brakes on my '03 K1200RS. After riding with "bang! Right now!!" servo brakes (yes, they can be feathered in, too), non-servo brakes simply don't get it for me. I spent a week on a '15 RT and kept thinking the brakes needed to be bled or were just flat "not well". I agree they're very spendy to repair (DAHIK) and bleeding takes some skill. When the RS finally goes away, I'm going to miss these brakes big time (and the RS, too, except for the stiff throttle grip). YMMV

Yep, the build date and "sold as" date do change towards the end of the previous year. A little odd, but that's marketing for you.

I can't speak to the GT but I have servo brakes on my '03 K1200RS. After riding with "bang! Right now!!" servo brakes (yes, they can be feathered in, too), non-servo brakes simply don't get it for me. I spent a week on a '15 RT and kept thinking the brakes needed to be bled or were just flat "not well". I agree they're very spendy to repair (DAHIK) and bleeding takes some skill. When the RS finally goes away, I'm going to miss these brakes big time (and the RS, too, except for the stiff throttle grip). YMMV

RB,

I have a 2008 K1200GT, bought new in Dec of '08. It has a build date of Feb 08. Our 2002 K1200RS has a build date of May 01. Kind of depends on where in the cycle your particular bike came out.

The servo assisted brakes on the '02 are like you say "bang! Right now!!" And once you get used to that, other bikes' brakes do seem a bit mushy.

On our '16 R1200RS the front brakes were mushy, very mushy. So much so I was considering taking the bike back to the shop for a warranty fix. Before I did that, I adjusted the brake plunger to give the lever some additional brake. Worked well. There is a thread on the adjustment under the wet head bikes.

The stiff throttle grip on our '02 KRS made it hard for me to ride as well. I tired some the springs, all of the springs, none of the springs. At this time I have the "push" throttle cable removed, and the center spring disconnected. Way, way better!

As far as getting a slant engine K1200GT...go for it. They are quite fast and powerful with large bags and trunk, just right for carrying a passenger.

There are some draw backs: Make sure the jump guard is installed on the cam chain. If you take the bike in for a service and the jump guard isn't installed, the shop should do it for free.

Check the rear drive, mine went at 90k thanks to an Haboob we tried to ride through.

The clutch basket can be damaged and the clutch pack could be damaged due to poor oil circulation around the plates. Clutch history is important.

There was a recall on the fuel pump housing that needs to be done, as well as a rear drive flange replacement recall. Both are recalls, regardless of the bike's age or mileage.

The fuel strip gives some folks hell. In 8 years I've only needed one replacement. They have a 12 year warrantee by BMW now.

Servicing servo assisted brakes, if that is what you have, is a bit complicated. There are several web sites that have detailed instructions if you are so inclined. Otherwise, once a year they need servicing by a shop. One year a simple flush, the next a complete flush.

Getting to the spark plugs and/or doing a valve check requires lots of body work removal and the removal of the radiator. Nothing real complicated. If a valve needs adjustment, then it gets complicated. It seems though they never go out of adjustment.

A GS911 is a great tool to have to help service the newer can bus bikes. The older bikes like an '06 K1200GT slant engine do just fine with the original GS911, the newer bikes require the updated version.

Our K-GT has 112,500 miles on the odo and runs great. It has had all the problems and recalls I mentioned above and has not required a valve adjustment even after the cam chain jumped two teeth on the drive sprocket. My only cost was the clutch and clutch pack. Every thing else was covered by our extended warranty. It is our bike of choice for long distant rides.

Deryle Mehrten
Sierra Vista, AZ USA

Thanks for the replies. I am going to take it for a ride in a week or two and look it over. I have three other bikes to look at also. Two RT's and a triumph tiger. I'll let you know what I end up with.

Thanks

Got an 06 K1200GT for sale if you're interested PM me. Will be listed soon on this site.
All needed stuff done, nearly new tires, recall fixes all current and just serviced.
Located in NC

Back