• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

Oil changing question

DARKCLOUD

Brought up to warm the engine oil up before changing it. Today it was about 100 degrees in the garage and I was wondering how hot the ambient temperature had to be before you didn't need to warm up the engine. Does more oil drain out of a hot engine that has just been run, or a cold engine that has had all the oil drain down into the crankcase? Any comments?

The drain hot or cold has very strong advocates on both sides.
Google the subject and you will see.

The drain hot or cold has very strong advocates on both sides.
Google the subject and you will see.
A friend of mine wants to dump the oil before the vehicle stops "rocking" from coming to a stop......after a suitable long drive.
A friend of mine with a mobile lube service changes them "cold"- thousands of vehicles.
After watching both, I see no real advantage or disadvantage :dunno

I have always done a change hot...or at least real warm- personal preference. It just "seems" better to me :hungover

OM

It makes no real difference.

If the old oil was so bad you can't have the tiniest amount left in there...then why were you running that oil for the last XXXX number of miles?

Chris

Definitely change when warm/hot. It flows faster, taking more dirt out with it. The dirt is already suspended in the hot oil and more of it will drain with the oil. When the bike's cold or cooled off, all the dirt is on the bottom of the pan/engine and there's no telling how much stays stuck there when that cooler oil slowly drains out.

I've read this mentioned in Owner's and service manuals.

A friend of mine wants to dump the oil before the vehicle stops "rocking" from coming to a stop......after a suitable long drive.
A friend of mine with a mobile lube service changes them "cold"- thousands of vehicles.
After watching both, I see no real advantage or disadvantage :dunno

I have always done a change hot...or at least real warm- personal preference. It just "seems" better to me :hungover

OM

I'm on your side of the fence. On full warmed boxers I leave on the sidestand for min 5 min (to let the oil drain down from the cooler) and then on the centerstand and drain.

The dirt is already suspended in the oil, so it really doesn't matter if you drain it hot or cold. Just let it drain for awhile until it stops dripping. I think most of us like to have the oil warm but that is really just a personal preference. The main thing is to change the oil as required by the bikes specs. Hot oil can burn so be careful.

I wonder if anyone has conducted any actual research on this topic. You know, like taking measurements to determine the level of contaminates remaining in an engine after changes done with the oil at various temperatures and at various time spans after the engine being run (agitation). It could be done by guys and gals with lofty degrees dressed in white lab coats, and outfitted with real expensive gizmos and computers that process data at impressive speeds. Who would do this sort of research? Who stands to benefit from knowing the ideal oil temperature and degree of agitation? And what would they do with this hard and expensively won information? Perhaps publish it in owner's and service manuals?

I wonder if anyone has conducted any actual research on this topic. You know, like taking measurements to determine the level of contaminates remaining in an engine after changes done with the oil at various temperatures and at various time spans after the engine being run (agitation). It could be done by guys and gals with lofty degrees dressed in white lab coats, and outfitted with real expensive gizmos and computers that process data at impressive speeds. Who would do this sort of research? Who stands to benefit from knowing the ideal oil temperature and degree of agitation? And what would they do with this hard and expensively won information? Perhaps publish it in owner's and service manuals?

With oil at over $10 a quart and filters around $15 a pop I want to get the most miles out of my oil before changing. Starting with a clean crankcase seems to be the best way to start.

With oil at over $10 a quart and filters around $15 a pop I want to get the most miles out of my oil before changing. Starting with a clean crankcase seems to be the best way to start.

If this is your goal, you may want to begin a testing program with http://www.blackstone-labs.com/. Their testing will advise you exactly what is happening with your engine, transmission, final drive and oil. Their analysis will recommend optimum change intervals based on actual oil samples not conjecture.

Then use synthetic and double the BMW recommended change interval.

Then use synthetic and double the BMW recommended change interval.

How would this insure getting the most possible oil out of the engine? Required maintenance for and airhead is to replace the oil with kerosene and take a short ride to get all the crud suspended in the oil, then draining it is it not?

Running under load with kerosene does not sound like the main and rod bearings will benefit. Not to mention the cams and followers.

How to get the residual out of the oil galleries and pump? This would contaminate the new oil added.

Do you have a link to where this is actually done?

How would this insure getting the most possible oil out of the engine? Required maintenance for and airhead is to replace the oil with kerosene and take a short ride to get all the crud suspended in the oil, then draining it is it not?

That sounds like an excellent way to drastically shorten the life of the engine. I think I'll pass.

Running under load with kerosene does not sound like the main and rod bearings will benefit. Not to mention the cams and followers.

How to get the residual out of the oil galleries and pump? This would contaminate the new oil added.

Do you have a link to where this is actually done?

I knew an old farmer who would clean out the engines in his tractors this way.....doing a kerosene flush. While running the units for about twenty minutes, he would say "leave'em running till I go round the barn twice"......then he would drain them. Next step was to refill with cheaper oil and change filter then run for a while longer. He would do this step two times and then finally install better oil and filter.I suppose this helped flush out most of the remaining kerosene from the engine. His tractors were old, can't remember make or models and they seemed to run mint. Not saying I would want to do this, but those old tractors seemed to be alright

I knew an old farmer who would clean out the engines in his tractors this way.....doing a kerosene flush. While running the units for about twenty minutes, he would say "leave'em running till I go round the barn twice"......then he would drain them. Next step was to refill with cheaper oil and change filter then run for a while longer. He would do this step two times and then finally install better oil and filter.I suppose this helped flush out most of the remaining kerosene from the engine. His tractors were old, can't remember make or models and they seemed to run mint. Not saying I would want to do this, but those old tractors seemed to be alright

A BIG difference between an old tractor engine and a modern high output engine like the oilhead. (altho' sometimes my GS does move forward like a tractor :deal)

Back