• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

Anybody Using Universal X mount for iPhone on Bike?

ricochetrider

Out There Somewhere
SO, I'm thinking about my cell phone as satnav device for the K12RS. There is what seems to be a 1" (or very close to 1") ball already in place. looking at the Ram Mount (made in USA) Universal X mount. I see they use a silicone "tether". Guess I need a ball-to-ball clamp also.

Anyone already using this gear for navigating their way around the continent/planet?

FYI I have an iphone 6s with a slim line Pelican Voyager outer case.

I use an X-mount with my Samsung Galaxy in waterproof case. I don't use the tether. The phone stays put quite well and I've not seen it slip no matter the bump I go over. I've used it for navigation a few times. The screen can be hard to read in direct sunlight but audio is good if you've got earbuds or some kind of helmet sound setup.

I use it with my iPhone 5s, holds it well. I know a few others that use it and love it.

I've used a bit larger version of the X mount for my over the counter Garmin. I did put a heavy rubber band across a couple of the knobs. Not sure I needed to do that but I felt better. Up across Nova Scotia, Newfound Land and Labrador and back. worked great.

Sometimes I use my Galaxy Note 3 in an Otter box for navigation. Since it's almost always set on the highest brightness level and I use turn-by-turn nav instructions, power consumption is pretty high. Higher than the USB connector in the glove box of my 2011 R1200RT can keep up with. Several hours into a trip and the phone is nearly dead. I've taken to using a couple of other sources of power to keep the phone charged.

I use a RAM arm with the X mount, in the "tablet size" because the case and phone are so large. I always use a tether I made from a piece of cord that's tied to the RAM arm. I've never had it bounce out, but after hearing several anecdotes from some who have had their phone come loose, I'm aware that it can happen and I'd just as soon not lose my phone on the road. Their silicone tether is a good idea and it doesn't cover any significant part of the screen, unlike my cord, but I'm happy with my arrangement.

I use the X-mount for my IPhone 6 in a Speck case. Works well, but I did need to glue the rubber holding doohickeys in place, as they would slip forward from the metal frame. Fixed it. Works great.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I've only had mine a very short time but my Galaxy Note 5 fits in it quite snugly with a Samsung case on it.

I glued the rubber bumpers on using the glue provided - be careful that stuff is a pain to get off of your fingers.

I have had issues using the Note 5 for navigation in the past, it gets pretty darn hot and will shut down occasionally, I've heard others having similar issues with other phones.

Ski

I've been using one for 2 years on my r90/6 with an iPhone 5S - no problems. Fwiw

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

SO, I'm thinking about my cell phone as satnav device for the K12RS. There is what seems to be a 1" (or very close to 1") ball already in place. looking at the Ram Mount (made in USA) Universal X mount. I see they use a silicone "tether". .

I looked at a X Mount a couple years ago to use on my bicycle. I decided against it because I was affraid the phone would slide out when hitting a hard bump.
Now that they have a silicone tether it should be secure.

I use the RAM X-Mount for my iPhone on my RT. I bought the tether and used it for a while, but it's a bit of a pain in the neck to have to attach it when you get back on your moto. So, I bought a package of metal plates, which includes a couple of disks that are almost exactly the same size as the RAM logo sticker on the X-Mount. I replaced it with one of the metal disks, which has a 3M adhesive backing, so that the magnetic Night-Ize car mount device I have on the phone would stick magnetically to the disk (is everyone following along? :) ).

This provides a means of backup attachment that gives me a little more peace of mind. The phone is rock solid in the X-Mount with this setup, and I don't have to fiddle around with the tether. This would work with any of the magnetic phone mount devices that are on the market.

Link for the metal plates: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0190BLT2M/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o02_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

I have used the spring-loaded RAM mount shown below for two years now with both the iPhone 4 and (currently) 6. There's no way the phone's going to fall out without the whole mount being broken off.

panel14.jpg

RamMount for use on Brake Fluid cover?

Hi,

I'm wondering if anyone knows the part number for a Ram Mount base that will fit the 2016 R1200RT brake fluid reservoir? I've fitted my bike with the pipe clamps and mounted a Ram Ball with the GS mirrors but I don't care for how in-my-face the phone is with the xmount. I'd like be able to mount my phone deeper into the fairing cavity, if possible. I've attached a pic of my current set up.

I talked to Ram Mounts and they suggested http://www.rammount.com/part/RAP-B-378U which is an adhesive mount, anybody used one on a motorcycle? I've used similar products in cars before but I'm concerned about the exposure to the elements.

Thanks,
Ski

Attachments

• 20160718_181427[1].jpg
    20160718_181427[1].jpg
    65 KB · Views: 133
Last edited:
That looks great! I just added the Ilium bar riser to my bike yesterday so I hope I can still use this.

I do find it interesting that no mention of Torque values is made and, as far as I can see, there doesn't appear to be any way to put a torque wrench on the adapter.

Ski

Hi guys and thanks for the response.
After having this same discussion over at ADVrider, somebody sent me this suggestion:

http://www.hondogarage.com/index.php/catalog/motorcyclephonemounts

It's a sort of ultra geeky phone mount from Hondo Garage. They are a small local business in I THINK Montana or someplace in the USA. I got mine with the RAM ball attached, and also bought a RAM ball-to-ball clamp from them, I believe it's the 3" (+/-) clamp.

Admittedly, It's not inexpensive- BUT it has geek appeal. AND looks extremely well made. I plan to run my charger off my bike, via the power port/12V converter cable I bought from BMW.

Admittedly (also) this is almost certainly the first step in eventually just sucking it up and purchasing a GPS for my bike. I bought, some time ago, a low-end Garmin GPS for the car. It's OK, I don't really love it. I use my phone as much or more simply because it's easier. So I begin my moto-nav process with setting up my phone as my nav device.

We'll see where this gets me!

ha ha I make the pun. :wave

Clearly, my "system" is going to be somewhat problematic in inclement weather.

But seriously, I usually just tape a piece of paper to my tank with directions printed on it. I've even taped zip lock baggies on to hold my printed directions! :hungover

I mean, if I'm not using a tank bag. :)

That looks great! I just added the Ilium bar riser to my bike yesterday so I hope I can still use this.

I do find it interesting that no mention of Torque values is made and, as far as I can see, there doesn't appear to be any way to put a torque wrench on the adapter.

Ski

Can't use the MultiPod Adapter with the Ilium bar risers. However, the bar risers are GREAT and easy to install with the rented tool.

I have used the regular RAM ball and X mount for a couple of years and 30,000 Km for my smaller iPhone 5 riding my RT but am concerned that rough gravel intervals such as construction or mean old washboard would cause a complete fail. The Perfect Squeeze Mount looks like it is a much more solid connection to the bike. Thanks for posting.

Can't use the MultiPod Adapter with the Ilium bar risers. However, the bar risers are GREAT and easy to install with the rented tool.

Not happy to hear that, what's the holdup?

I ordered an adapter for Wunderlich after taking a close look at the Ilium riser and thought I might be able to make it work, even though it may not look perfect. Once I get the adapter I'll try it out in hopes that I can rig it up. I'll post when I have a verdict.

Thanks,
Ski

Not happy to hear that, what's the holdup?

I ordered an adapter for Wunderlich after taking a close look at the Ilium riser and thought I might be able to make it work, even though it may not look perfect. Once I get the adapter I'll try it out in hopes that I can rig it up. I'll post when I have a verdict.

Thanks,
Ski

The risers add an extra piece at the end, therefore the bolt on the MultiPod won't reach into the handle bar assembly :banghead

Back