• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

Guard Dog Moly Lubricants to Cease Business

pglaves

I have received word from Ben Mathes who is Guard Dog Moly Lubricants that the business will cease operations on July 31. If you are a user of Guard Dog moly grease, gear oil additive, or other products I recommend you get what you need/want now. I did warn Ben Mathes that he should be prepared for a spike in orders as we stock up.

http://guarddogmoly.com/

I have no interest in this business but have used the products since the company was founded.

Paul (or somebody who may wish to try my idea!),

A couple of years ago, I could tell on my '78 R100/7 that the trans shaft/clutch spline needed lubed. I had only had the bike about a year, but it was getting more and more "sticky" to shift, as it seemed to me that the spline was dry.

I disassembled, and I found that I was correct in my diagnosis. Spline did not show any wear, on either the shaft or the clutch hole.
Not having the Guard Dog moly. I researched here, and some suggested using the current stuff available at the Honda dealer. I went and purchased the small tube.

But in looking at it, it seemed to me to be inadequate. Anyway, it didn't seem to me to be good enough by itself.

Then I remembered a substance I used to use way back when I was just out of HS (circa 1968) sold by Mercury Outboards. I was a certified, trained mechanic for Mercury outboards, and worked at a Honda/BMW/Mercury/Boat dealer.

The substance then was called "Anti-Corrosion Grease" and was sold in a tube approx. 1-1/2" dia. x 6" long. Boy . . . was it sticky, and could not be washed off by water, or even salt water!

I found that they still sell it (under another name now, and I have forgotten what it is). I had some of my own on hand, but noticed that it did not have any moly in it.

So . . I made up a 50/50 concoction of my own, half Honda Moly, and half Mercury anti-corrosion grease.

I then used it on my spline and clutch, carefully applying with a Q-tip in each spline on both the shaft and the clutch.

What a shifting difference! Ultra smooth clutch action.

I was just wondering from someone like yourself, if you would want to run a test on it to see if it is any better than any other grease (like the Honda moly by itself, or the Guard Dog moly). I don't have enough experience to know if it is better, or will last longer, or anything, but someone like yourself with lots of years of experience, may be able to tell right away if it is good, bad, or indifferent.

For me, at least with my situation, the mixture I created was lots better than the dry spline that I had!

Paul (or somebody who may wish to try my idea!),

A couple of years ago, I could tell on my '78 R100/7 that the trans shaft/clutch spline needed lubed. I had only had the bike about a year, but it was getting more and more "sticky" to shift, as it seemed to me that the spline was dry.

I disassembled, and I found that I was correct in my diagnosis. Spline did not show any wear, on either the shaft or the clutch hole.
Not having the Guard Dog moly. I researched here, and some suggested using the current stuff available at the Honda dealer. I went and purchased the small tube.

But in looking at it, it seemed to me to be inadequate. Anyway, it didn't seem to me to be good enough by itself.

Then I remembered a substance I used to use way back when I was just out of HS (circa 1968) sold by Mercury Outboards. I was a certified, trained mechanic for Mercury outboards, and worked at a Honda/BMW/Mercury/Boat dealer.

The substance then was called "Anti-Corrosion Grease" and was sold in a tube approx. 1-1/2" dia. x 6" long. Boy . . . was it sticky, and could not be washed off by water, or even salt water!

I found that they still sell it (under another name now, and I have forgotten what it is). I had some of my own on hand, but noticed that it did not have any moly in it.

So . . I made up a 50/50 concoction of my own, half Honda Moly, and half Mercury anti-corrosion grease.

I then used it on my spline and clutch, carefully applying with a Q-tip in each spline on both the shaft and the clutch.

What a shifting difference! Ultra smooth clutch action.

I was just wondering from someone like yourself, if you would want to run a test on it to see if it is any better than any other grease (like the Honda moly by itself, or the Guard Dog moly). I don't have enough experience to know if it is better, or will last longer, or anything, but someone like yourself with lots of years of experience, may be able to tell right away if it is good, bad, or indifferent.

For me, at least with my situation, the mixture I created was lots better than the dry spline that I had!

I used to mix Honda Moly 60 50-50 with Wurth SIG 3000 sticky green grease. It worked fine, as will your mix I would guess. I Started using GD 525 because it was readily available.

I used to mix Honda Moly 60 50-50 with Wurth SIG 3000 sticky green grease. It worked fine, as will your mix I would guess. I Started using GD 525 because it was readily available.

I've been using the Moly/Wurth concoction since I first read about it in a post by Paul a few years ago. I put equal parts in a ziplock baggie and mash it into a well mixed mass. It is ultra sticky and a baggie will last a very long time. As far as I can tell it works great. I do know that when I go back to relube a spline or final drive gears that there is still a significant amount of grease left. I have some GD 525 as well, but have not used it yet

Well, it's more a bummer that Ben hasn't been able to find a buyer for his business than that he is closing the doors. The dream of the American small businessman; build an idea into a viable business, sell the endeavor, and then retire on the fruits of your labor...

I'm surprised by this turn of events. From all accounts he made excellent lubricants. So now that Honda Molly is gone, and the Guard Dog 525 will be gone, what is the current thinking on the best grease for splines?

Honda Moly is still available at a Honda Dealer. Current stuff that BMW uses on splines is white in color and is just an assembly lubricant. That is what I received a couple of years ago when I ordered some of the BMW spline lubricant.

As I have been following along with this Honda/Guard Dog info since it was brought up a few years ago, my Brother and I just purchased some of the Honda Molly now Honda M-77. Here is an Amazon link- https://www.amazon.com/Honda-08798-9010-MOLY-PASTE-M77/dp/B0083BWUYW . Like the Suzuki "moly" the dealership wanted to see us, there does seem to be a bit of confusion. The M-77 is identified as assembly lube for Honda and Acura vehicles but doesn't mention motorcycles.
My Brother is using it on his VT1100T on some of the rear shaft areas where a "rumble" has developed. After reading the reviews on Amazon as well as other places on the internet, it seems that the consensus is at about 87% that it is the same as the moly-60.
I didn't see it out of the tube but according to my Brother, it is unlike anything (grease) that he has used before, as it seemed to get into the pores of his hands and may have to wear off. Whether it has solved his problem, I don't know yet.
If you are interested, you can read some of the Amazon reviews.
OM

OM, as I recall when the demise of Honda Moly 60 was discussed on the Airhead forum, spec sheets where offered which showed that the replacement "moly" had, as a minimum, a lower melting point.

OM, as I recall when the demise of Honda Moly 60 was discussed on the Airhead forum, spec sheets where offered which showed that the replacement "moly" had, as a minimum, a lower melting point.

That is exactly true. A while back, when it was announced that the original Honda Molly was being discontinued, there was quite a bit of discussion on alternatives. And a lot of people, including myself, headed to the dealerships to buy up what was left. It was stated that the new stuff was not as good as the original. The mixture that Paul uses seems to be the best alternative to the Guard Dog 525. Of course most of us will never need enough of the stuff to justify the cost of buying both of the necessary ingredients.

Thanks for the heads up - just ordered 8oz of GD-525 to get me through a few more years.

I did the same along with some of the gear oil additive. Crossing my fingers that Ben will be able to sell the business even if at a lower price than he wants.

I also appreciate the heads up from Paul Glaves!

If TS Moly is selling it, I think it is the same. Here is the back story. Ben Mathes, who founded and was Guard Dog Moly was a VP of TS Moly when he founded Guarddog. I was complicit at the time. I was searching for a good gear oil additive and stumbled on a moly gearbox oil additive at TS Moly. I wrote about that source for moly gear oil additive in a Bench Wrenching column. Within two weeks after the magazine went out I got a phone call from Ben Mathes. He told me they sold the additive in 55 gallon drums and 6 gallon pails for use in the oilfields. He said he had received a couple of dozen inquiries about the additive and asked if there really was a market for small quantities. I told him yes. Guarddog Moly Lubricants was born. Ben and I talked on the phone several times about BMW motorcycles, splines, gearboxes, etc. The line of moly lubricants including oil additives, pastes, and greases expanded over time. At its peak Guarddog was Ben, an assistant that helped with orders and a guy in the warehouse mixing and packaging product.

Thanks for the quick response Paul. I have a 1993 K75 with 21k on it, it runs good but wants to not go into gear mostly between 4th and 5th, up and down shifting. Not all the time just once in a while. I doubt the clutch splines have ever been greased. The rear was done just before I bought the bike last summer.

I am going to pull it apart and make sure everything else looks good and lube the splines. Is there a list of parts anywhere I should collect to put it back together like bolts and gaskets?

I will also be replacing the brake lines, which are rubber, with stainless steel. I may go with Spiegler or Galfer. Any preference? I will check out other threads on that subject when I get ready to buy some parts. I have a non-ABS and the rear has straight connectors instead of banjo type so I am having a hard time finding any part numbers for those.

Thanks for the quick response Paul. I have a 1993 K75 with 21k on it, it runs good but wants to not go into gear mostly between 4th and 5th, up and down shifting. Not all the time just once in a while. I doubt the clutch splines have ever been greased. The rear was done just before I bought the bike last summer.

I am going to pull it apart and make sure everything else looks good and lube the splines. Is there a list of parts anywhere I should collect to put it back together like bolts and gaskets?

I will also be replacing the brake lines, which are rubber, with stainless steel. I may go with Spiegler or Galfer. Any preference? I will check out other threads on that subject when I get ready to buy some parts. I have a non-ABS and the rear has straight connectors instead of banjo type so I am having a hard time finding any part numbers for those.

I have installed may sets of Spiegler. Fit the first time every time. Great customer support if you need as well.
Be sure to specify if you have bar risers as this will affect the length of the front master line.

Back