• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

Feedback on Boston Area Authorized BMW Service?

bobbymacd

I am interested in getting member opinions on authorized service centers in the Boston area.

In 2014 I bought an '04 RT and used Greater Boston Motorsports (GBM) in Arlington, MA for inspection/maintenance. It was a complete disaster/comedy of errors that isn't worth recounting here. Suffice it so say that after four weeks I was just glad to have my bike back in one piece (though missing several fairing screws) and will NEVER let them get near it again.

So I have two other options for authorized service -- Wagner in Worcester and Dunbar in Brockton. I am frustrated at the lack of consensus on major/minor service intervals and the refusal of some of these shops to break it down. They will say "well a major service is 6 hours of labor" but GBM wouldn't even list exactly what they did...

Has anyone used NON-AUTHORIZED service centers or knows a good independent mechanic who can do basic maintenance and repairs?

Please reply or send email to bobbymacd at aol.com

Thanks!

I am interested in getting member opinions on authorized service centers in the Boston area.

In 2014 I bought an '04 RT and used Greater Boston Motorsports (GBM) in Arlington, MA for inspection/maintenance. It was a complete disaster/comedy of errors that isn't worth recounting here. Suffice it so say that after four weeks I was just glad to have my bike back in one piece (though missing several fairing screws) and will NEVER let them get near it again.

So I have two other options for authorized service -- Wagner in Worcester and Dunbar in Brockton. I am frustrated at the lack of consensus on major/minor service intervals and the refusal of some of these shops to break it down. They will say "well a major service is 6 hours of labor" but GBM wouldn't even list exactly what they did...

Has anyone used NON-AUTHORIZED service centers or knows a good independent mechanic who can do basic maintenance and repairs?

Please reply or send email to bobbymacd at aol.com

Thanks!

For reference, I live on Cape Cod:

I have not liked Dunbar since my first encounter with the owner when looking at buying a brand new bike. What I gathered while walking around there, was that service was a LONG wait, weeks sometimes?

We have purchased three BMWs from Wagner in the past 3 years. Yes they are a bit of a ride from home, but the service by both the sales team and the service department have been good. I would recommend them.

I have heard great things about MAX, just across the NH line up i95. Their shop looks very clean, and the business as a whole (they have multiple locations) has a lot of fans. I cannot personally recommend them, but I have heard very little if any bad about them.

For me, Max is the goto dealer. 100% BMW motorcycle focus and great supporters of the sport. 2 bikes from them and always helpful. Guessing your south Shore. NH is the closest to boston and worth it for me. They even have a pickup and delivery service.

Don't know Dunbar, but had a similar poor experience with Greater Boston. Also, will not go to Wagner. Was about to buy a bike from them in the spring and after coming to an agreement, and on my way there with a bank check, got a call saying the manager changes his mind and cancelled the deal. (My wife was looking at a new car and told her to avoid wagner...)

Thanks for the feedback. I am in Metrowest but get to Maine on a regular basis so I will check out MAX. Being in NH I am guessing they don't do Massachusetts Inspections!

Duncan's Beemers - Maynard, MA

bobbymacd

duncansbeemers.com located in Maynard, MA.
Duncan is an independent that is great for airheads, oilheads, and flying bricks.
He doesn't have an impressive looking shop but does great work, is reliable, and very accommodating.

Good luck!

bobbymacd

duncansbeemers.com located in Maynard, MA.
Duncan is an independent that is great for airheads, oilheads, and flying bricks.
He doesn't have an impressive looking shop but does great work, is reliable, and very accommodating.

Good luck!

Ha! I have driven by there and admired the old bikes on his lot. Wasn't sure if it was a repair operation or a museum but I will check it out.

Thanks!

I'll second the MAX BMW recommendation. I either come down to their NH location from Midcoast Maine, or they pick up and deliver to me here.

I have had a hard time with Wagner service just answering the phone. Parts picks right up. Took days for me to get an appointment to put on the tires that I bought there. They do good work though. I don't know for sure but I didn't see the regular service manager. Next time I will go to Max.

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

MAX BMW for service---my 2 cents

15 years ago TODAY I bought my 1st motorcycle, a 2002 R1150R at Freeman's in Beverly, MA. After 60 years they went out of business. MAX opened 14 years ago and I have never had service anywhere else. In addition to my '02 R 1150R we bought 2 2003 F650GS, a 2004 R1200RT and a 2005 K1200LT, all serviced at MAX NH. I have ridden my 3 bikes over 140,000 miles in 15 years and I have maintained factory-recommended services all at MAX with great satisfaction. MAX delivers.

mm

15 years ago TODAY I bought my 1st motorcycle, a 2002 R1150R at Freeman's in Beverly, MA. After 60 years they went out of business. MAX opened 14 years ago and I have never had service anywhere else. In addition to my '02 R 1150R we bought 2 2003 F650GS, a 2004 R1200RT and a 2005 K1200LT, all serviced at MAX NH. I have ridden my 3 bikes over 140,000 miles in 15 years and I have maintained factory-recommended services all at MAX with great satisfaction. MAX delivers.

mm

Done my 6k service with MAX on the end of winter early spring and they come to my house (metrowest ) and pick up and deliver it in a week. Also bought a pair of tires for my old K1200S and they even gave me a loaner in 2012. They are great.
I also like wagner as well , since I have only one mechanic that does anything in my bike, I always ask for him.

+ 1 for Max

I live in NJ have a dealer (cross country) a 30min ride away but prefer to either ride to Danbury. CT or have them pick up / drop off my bike for free. Service is great, but on top of that they all know and love bikes and unlike most dealers actually give a cr@p if you are a satisfied customer or not!

Another vote for Max. Live in Boston and a couple of options but default to Max, N Hampton.NH.. The service team knows bmw bikes and they provide great customer service.

Back