• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

looking for highway pegs for 2016 r1200rt

pumppeddler

Looking for highway pegs and the only ones I can find for my bike are mounted on Illium crash bars and although I like the looks of them 700 plus seems a lot for another place to rest my feet on a long ride. Has any one found any other options outthere?

I bought these for my 2015 R1200GS Adventure. I like them. A LOT.

http://www.advdesigns.com/highwaypegs.html

to add...
I agree with Jeff, the pegs are high when mounted on my adventure bars. I'll rest the bottom of my boots on the pegs for a bit just for a different position. But I do stretch my legs straight out and rest my lower calves on the pegs. Comfy!

Last edited:
I don't yet have an R bike (next spring a new R1200 RT will be my retirement gift), but i've got a pair of "Mick-o-Pegs" on my K1200LT and they have been the most valuable long-distance accessory that I've acquired. Very functional. Way comfortable. I had them installed at the CCR rally at Grand Tetons in ??? 2007? and have been thankful every since that I did.

My trials and tribulations in a quest to have footpegs just to have another place for my feet on long journeys includes the following. Purchased Wunderlich engine guards and mounted Illiumworks footpegs but found the positioning to be too high and close for comfort. Then tried the advdesigns as mentioned above but again mounted too high. My goal was to have my legs stretch out a bit (bad hips). I am 6" 1" with a 33/34" inseam. In the end, I removed all of that, purchased Machineartmoto X-Heads and Suburban Machinery Peg lowering kit and turns out the most comfortable position for my feet are on the pegs! I do on occasion just stretch my legs out for a few seconds from time to time to pop the hips.

I would recommend rigging something up to see if you are comfortable where your foot would land before purchasing anything. Maybe rest your foot on a right sized bucket in the garage LOL (well, I tried that but wasn't diligent enough). I took the expensive route to where I am now. Well, maybe this helps someone save some money...

Pegs for the wethead

I don't think there are any highway pegs that do not require purchase of engine guards for the wet heads. On my 09 RT I had Sahara pegs that did not require engine guards. Don't see anything like that for the newer models.

And yes bars then pegs...

Illium pegs installed on Saturday - tested on Sunday - will be putting the threadlock on today.

20170422_140615r.jpg

20170422_140628r.jpg

20170422_140636r.jpg

At 6'4" with a 36" inseam - I can put my feet on the pegs or have my foot on top of the pegs (similar to what I did with the R1200C when my calf was resting on the guard above the heads) - I needed the ability to move.

I know this isn't what you originally asked about, but I have found these sport boards from Ilium to be wonderful. I can adjust to multiple positions while on a long ride. They provide a lower position for my feet that I found to be better than stock pegs. I've not ever bottomed out on them but I'm not pushing the limits of the bike either. We'll see what happens next month when I go to a track day. My only complaint is that they require that you splay your legs while balancing the bike at a light or while trying to back up. I have a 29" inseam so that's a bit of a challenge but I think worth the trade off. Just like almost everything from Ilium, they are pricey but great quality.

47537500011-700S.jpg

Fitting the Ilium Crash Bars

I just finished installing the Ilium Crash Bars on my 2015 RT. Did anyone else find it a tight fit to get the body work back over the bars?

There was a thread or two that mentioned it being tight with the body. I thought mine were fine but when I went back and looked they are touching at two spots. I didn't notice it while installing the bars or putting the tupperware back on.

I know this is an old thread but...

I'm thinking about ordering the Ilium works engine and bag guards. My question is...how easy are they to install? I'm not a wrench and it looks like you need to take a lot of plastic off to install.

Ilium Works guards

I'm thinking about ordering the Ilium works engine and bag guards. My question is...how easy are they to install? I'm not a wrench and it looks like you need to take a lot of plastic off to install.

I installed Ilium Works rear bars for the side cases, which were pretty simple to install. Check out their web site for a short video on the installation. However, the 2019 R 1250 RT has a new engine and the guards for those are still in R & D, with an expected ship date first week of April, so I have no experience for those yet. The 2019 has current wet head chassis (same as 2018, as I was told,) so the rears are in place on my bike. Just a few bolts to remove on chassis (muffler hanger bolt/rear foot peg mounting plates) The plastic parts above those spots are not removed. One bolt each side is removed to allow the plastic piece to be pulled out by hand, slightly, to allow access to one of the top bolts on the mounts.

If this is extremely confusing to read, then it is why I strongly recommend you view the video. It will make more sense after you see it. The fronts (engine guards) do not appear to me to be all that involved either. If you do not think it is up your alley (you will need a torque wrench) then see if a fellow member in your area can lend a hand. (or post a better reply than my half-answer.)

We each have a different physiology. I have almost always ridden in the sit-up-and-beg position typical of high bar BMWs. Voni is an RS or S rider with narrow bars and a forward lean. I have had a couple of bikes with "highway pegs" on crash bars or some such, whatever you call them.

I quickly learned than I can ride long distances on Voni's S or RS bikes but usually like to sit straighter with only one hand on the bars. But that foot forward position on highway pegs is good for about 2 mile maximum. That position puts my lower back in a slouch and the pain starts at one mile and ends at two miles when I put my feet back where they belong. YMMV

I installed the Ilium Works highway pegs last year on my '16RT. I have Ilium Works crash bars too. I previously had the Wunderlich pegs on and didn't like them (too skinny). The IW highway pegs are much better and provide some relief on long hauls as I occasionally shift my feet to them just to change position and get some blood flowing.

Thanks!!!

Thanks for your replies!!!

Littlebrier, did you install the IW engine guards yourself? I did view the videos and it looks like a lot of plastic needs to be removed for the engine guards. The bag guards looks a lot simpler.

Thanks for your replies!!!

Littlebriar, did you install the IW engine guards yourself? I did view the videos and it looks like a lot of plastic needs to be removed for the engine guards. The bag guards looks a lot simpler.

Yes, I installed them. A few panels have to be removed. I found the video on the site very informative regarding the panels. A couple torx wrenches and other basic tools will get the job done. Go ahead, you can do it.

I know this isn't what you originally asked about, but I have found these sport boards from Ilium to be wonderful. I can adjust to multiple positions while on a long ride. They provide a lower position for my feet that I found to be better than stock pegs. I've not ever bottomed out on them but I'm not pushing the limits of the bike either. We'll see what happens next month when I go to a track day. My only complaint is that they require that you splay your legs while balancing the bike at a light or while trying to back up. I have a 29" inseam so that's a bit of a challenge but I think worth the trade off. Just like almost everything from Ilium, they are pricey but great quality.

View attachment 61334

I did this, too. No regrets.

highway pegs

for all of us using highway pegs check out www.thebootscoop.com for keeping the lower part of your body cooled off a bit! mention you saw it on the forum and they'll refund shipping cost!!! ride safe and keep cool!!

Back