• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

Trailer Wiring R1200GS

AdventureSum

:scratch

Hi all,

Other than "don't" does anyone have any advice on how to wire up trailer lighting for a 2009 R1200GS?
We're usually two-up for camping weekends or 4-5 day trips. Because we're two up it's really difficult to pack properly and not be too top heavy so I bought a little Uni-Go trailer second hand for a great price. Now to wire it.. I plan on replacing the trailer tail, signal and plate lights with LED's because of the CANBUS system. Has anyone got any experience with all this who could explain in a "...4Dummies" style so that I can get it all put together? Please advise. Thanks.

Hi all,

Other than "don't" does anyone have any advice on how to wire up trailer lighting for a 2009 R1200GS?
We're usually two-up for camping weekends or 4-5 day trips. Because we're two up it's really difficult to pack properly and not be too top heavy so I bought a little Uni-Go trailer second hand for a great price. Now to wire it.. I plan on replacing the trailer tail, signal and plate lights with LED's because of the CANBUS system. Has anyone got any experience with all this who could explain in a "...4Dummies" style so that I can get it all put together? Please advise. Thanks.
Welcome to the forum!
This question has come up here and there, best I could find quick was- http://forums.bmwmoa.org/showthread.php?73945-F700GS-w-trailer
Let us know how you make out. Maybe you will find some more info that I will add to the tag cloud.
Gary

I would offer a suggestion of looking into upgrading the stock suspension. You obviously don't want to grossly overload the bike because the frame and such does have limits, but good suspension can make carrying a load much more pleasurable and safe.

Maybe it's because I backpacked for years, but I have no problem riding two up with enough camping gear for weeks on the road.

Hi all,

An option would be to remove all existing trailer lighting and install an Admore light bar on the back of the trailer. This one light bar functions as tail light, brake light and directionals.
I've installed one on my 2013 GSA and my friends 2009 GS for increased visibility and it works great. The Admore light bar is designed to function without ill effect to the canbus system. PM me if you have any questions.

Pulling a Unigo with my 2009 R1200RT. Assuming that he GS uses the one wire brake/tail light setup as well

I'm using a trailer light adapter for a PT Cruiser. That vehicle uses the one wire brakelight system as well.
This adapter which I picked up at a trailer installer used a 12v connection to provide power to the trailer lights so that CAN-BUS knows nothing about the trailer.
The adapter provides 4 wire lightin which precludes the use of the amber turn signal lights so a 4 wire to 5 wire converter box is required as well. I have both boxes, the size of which is a pack of cigarettes under the seat.

It has worked well and uses all the stock lighting on the Unigo. I've never had an issue in three years.

I would offer a suggestion of looking into upgrading the stock suspension. You obviously don't want to grossly overload the bike because the frame and such does have limits, but good suspension can make carrying a load much more pleasurable and safe.

Maybe it's because I backpacked for years, but I have no problem riding two up with enough camping gear for weeks on the road.

Would you mind giving us the benefit of your experience and tell us what you carry on these trips?

An option would be to remove all existing trailer lighting and install an Admore light bar on the back of the trailer. This one light bar functions as tail light, brake light and directionals.
I've installed one on my 2013 GSA and my friends 2009 GS for increased visibility and it works great. The Admore light bar is designed to function without ill effect to the canbus system. PM me if you have any questions.

Hi Thanks !

I looked at those lights they seem pretty awesome.

I ended up taping the wires from the existing rear lights and fused up the positive side of the tail light to the trailer. With nothing but LED bulbs in the trailer the CANBUS doesn't even know it's there and the lights flick on and off on the normal interval.

Thanks for for your suggestion.

Not any help but out of curiosity, what are you using for a hitch?

Hi, thanks for your reply.

A very talented mechanical guy who lives not to far from me made me a custom one.

I could text you pictures if you want something similar... My cell number is (613) 795-8699 (Canada) text me if you want to see...

Cheers!

Thanks to everyone who took the time to send some advice.

For those who want to know, based on some of the advice I got here and there, I ended up just taping into the existing wires. I think that because I used only LED bulbs in the trailer there is minimal extra power draw. I did fuse off the positive side from the tail light just in case but everything seems to work just fine. No warning lights on the dash for bulbs and they even blink on and off at the regular interval. I'm quite happy with the result!
Oh, and for a hitch a very mechanically talented guy who lives not too far from me welded up a custom hitch that attached at 3 spots per side of the frame under the seat, with zero clearance issues. Really impressed with what he was able to construct.

Cheers all!
Thanks again, see you on the road(or off).:wave
Steve

Back