• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

VIN questions

10drum

On a 1982 R65 there is a frame number near the front forks, but I found another VIN number on the frame below the right cylinder, that begins with WB1 then there are some dot numbers that are unreadable. The frame number near the forks indicate that it was built in 01/82. Is there a way to find out what those unreadable dot numbers should be?

By dot you mean DOT? You're probably looking for a number like this: WB1036404B6385003 . This number is for an R65 and was taken from Snowbum's website:

http://bmwmotorcycletech.info/IDnumbrs.htm

See what he says about interpreting the whole code. As you can see from his interpretation, there's not a whole lot to be gained from the other numbers. The last 7 should like match between the two locations.

As for being able to extract the numbers, is it possible to do a rubbing or something? Take a super close up photo and use Photoshop or something?

20774, Thanks for the reply. What I actual meant by DOT, is the numbers were made with littles dots, probably a very early computerized printer. The title to the bike only has the number that is stamped into the frame near the forks. I talked to the guy I bought it from and he said that he never noticed that label on the lower part of the frame. My triumphs only have a number stamped into the frame, and that is what is on the title, but I was changing the clutch cable and saw the label with the unreadable VIN. The snowbum seems to be the expert on this bikes, I'll see if I can make anything from his blog. Phil

Phil -

OK, I remember what you're talking about. I have the same sticker on my /7, but it was rubbed out a long time ago due to the case guard that is mounted there. As far as I remember, it had the VIN (in my case just the 7 digits...my bike never got the 17 digit VIN) and the build date. But there are other ways to find the build date, as you have already determined. Other than that, I don't think there's much that's important on the sticker.

Back