• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

Oh no...Another Helmet Thread: For City and Urban riders, specific requirements

ultracyclist

Most of riding is city/urban/commuter.

My current helmet is a Shoei Modular, and I am OK with it. It is a beast. But I no longer tour, and I would like something a bit lighter and:
1.) perhaps a 3/4 helmet that gives me a little better look back/over the shoulder visibility
2.) internal flip visors; one clear, one dark--so I can wear my regular glasses and not be changing from clear to sun glasses and back so forth when conditions change.

I will defer to the experts in this organization. What works for you? Let it rip!
TIA-Howard

Jeeeze Howard, the first question someone with a TW asks is usually about the seat :wave
Gary

I like the Nolan N-104 for visibility and ease of installing my Sena 20 S. I also have a Schuburth C3 that I like because it is light and has a slightly snugger fit but have to stick the Sena on the side vs clamp. Both have excellent view with flip-up chin bar and internal sun shield. Fairly close in price especially when the Schuberths go on sale ( check Rev Zilla and sometimes Bob's).

There will be a boat load of helmets on display at the IMS next weekend; if you're so inclined.

Joe

I have not seen any data that indicates a 3/4 helmet provides better peripheral vision than a full face/modular helmet.

If you go down, you still have about a 30% chance your chin area will suffer damage.

My personal opinion/experience is that any accident is more likely to occur in city/urban traffic than while touring.

I think (but have not researched) that internal sun visors are more common on full face/modular helmets.

Good luck in your search.:wave

I only wear it about 5% of the time (in traffic, 90 degrees or hotter) but I think an Arai XC is about as good as it comes with a 3/4 helmet. And it does have a wider field of view than my Arai full face. The only ones I know of with a flip down visor is the Schuberth M1, Shoei J-Cruise, and HJC IS-33 II. But there's about a $400 price difference between the the Schuberth and the HJC.

If you happen to be a fan of Shoei helmets,(I am) they make a very nice open face helmet that does have a flip down sun visor. The model is called the J-cruise.

Omega Man...

My, my, my...how I love surprises.. Good to hear from you!
I had to post this thread with this group.
The TW200 crowd is mostly a technical terrain group of riders and Nirvana for them is the Moab along with carrying extra gas, water, a filtered mask built in to the helmet, and anti vulture gear. ;). That is not the kind of riding I do.

Nobody thinks or recommends that you can back off a notch on safety because it's "commuting" or "urban."

Nobody thinks you can have "too much" safety anywhere, anytime.

Just get the best you can ... no overthinking needed.

I have not seen any data that indicates a 3/4 helmet provides better peripheral vision than a full face/modular helmet.

If you go down, you still have about a 30% chance your chin area will suffer damage.

My personal opinion/experience is that any accident is more likely to occur in city/urban traffic than while touring.

I think (but have not researched) that internal sun visors are more common on full face/modular helmets.

Good luck in your search.:wave

Federal standards require that a motorcycle helmet offers the wearer a 90 degree field of vision in each direction L or R).

No visual advantage of 3/4 over full. Lots of disadvantages in compromised protection.

Crash studies have shown that the 3 initial points of rider contact with the road in a crash are the hands ('extended arms to brace for collision' reflex) and the chin (instinctively looking for where you're going to hit).

For me, an easy choice: protect my head on all rides (full-face helmet of high quality) and wear the skin I'm willing to lose (adequate gloves) on my hands - takes care of the "BIG 3."

ATGATT in the form of quality pants, boots and jacket, along with an air-bag vest takes care of the rest of me.

Safe riding. :thumb

Last edited:
And make sure you put it on correctly! :) strange-helmet-position.jpg

Helmet thread

Nothing wrong with the helmet.......it's the head that is apparently on upside down and inside out. Try again.

BTW, I do occasionally see this with newbies at training courses. Just gently correct student.....MUST NOT LAUGH !

:wave

Friedle

Back