View Poll Results: Would you be interested in a S1000S to replace the K13S?

Voters
17. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes Please!

    8 47.06%
  • No Thanks.

    2 11.76%
  • S1000XR already covers it for me, thanks.

    5 29.41%
  • Not sure, but you can bet I'll take a test ride on one!

    2 11.76%
Multiple Choice Poll.
Results 1 to 12 of 12

Thread: S1000s?

  1. #1
    Registered User RYD1WD's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2014
    Location
    Charlotte, NC
    Posts
    254

    S1000s?

    Just a personal curiosity:

    With the end coming for the K1300S (limited final production for MY'16), I have visions for a contemporary (yes, I love the K13S, but it has become a bit dated) interpretation of it's concept being revitalized on the 160 HP S1000 platform. I'm curious how this community would react to such an offering?
    Greg North - Sport-Touring Junkie - BMW Brand Manager, BMW Motorcycles Of Charlotte
    There are motorcycle owners, and there are motorcycle riders.
    And then there are those of us for who motorcycling is an essential part of our journey - a way of life, and looking at it. Ride to LIVE, live to RIDE.

  2. #2
    Debbie's Servant Lee's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2003
    Location
    SW Iowa
    Posts
    4,123
    If it has a driveshaft and hard bags I would be very interested.
    The XR fells too big to me.
    Lee
    2016 R1200RS
    MOA # 30878
    Past BMW Bikes: 2011 K1300S, 2003 K1200RS, 1991 K75S, 1987 K75T, 1984 R100RT

  3. #3
    Registered User RYD1WD's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2014
    Location
    Charlotte, NC
    Posts
    254
    Quote Originally Posted by Lee View Post
    If it has a driveshaft and hard bags I would be very interested.
    The XR fells too big to me.
    Too big or too tall? There is a low suspension option... I tested it in VA in August, you still run out of tire before you run out of clearance, and with a lower COG... Liked it a lot, enough to buy one if I could get away with it.

    My gut tells me there won't be a shaft drive implementation on that mill, at least not anytime soon. I'm not sure the current design is conducive to it even if there were other significantly compelling reasons.
    Greg North - Sport-Touring Junkie - BMW Brand Manager, BMW Motorcycles Of Charlotte
    There are motorcycle owners, and there are motorcycle riders.
    And then there are those of us for who motorcycling is an essential part of our journey - a way of life, and looking at it. Ride to LIVE, live to RIDE.

  4. #4
    not so retired henzilla's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Location
    CENTEX USA
    Posts
    9,219
    K16S would be pretty sweet as a replacement. Would think that engine would be used for more than the GT /GTL.

    The XR intersts me, but we only have one motorized chain drive, F650 thumper, in the fleet and a little biased to shaft drives now.
    Steve Henson
    SABMWRA MOA Club#62's Flat Fixer/ current forum moderator
    It's not the breaths you take, but the moments that take your breath away-D.Dillon/G. Strait

  5. #5
    Debbie's Servant Lee's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2003
    Location
    SW Iowa
    Posts
    4,123
    Quote Originally Posted by RYD1WD View Post
    Too big or too tall? There is a low suspension option... I tested it in VA in August, you still run out of tire before you run out of clearance, and with a lower COG... Liked it a lot, enough to buy one if I could get away with it.

    My gut tells me there won't be a shaft drive implementation on that mill, at least not anytime soon. I'm not sure the current design is conducive to it even if there were other significantly compelling reasons.
    When sitting on the XR it just felt massive. A lot of that had to do with the looks of the gas tank cover. After sitting on it at a shop I didn't bother asking for a test ride. Also I'm not a fan of bikes styled like an adventure bike, but is intended for street use.
    I think you're right about the chain drive. If BMW comes out with a S1000S or S1000RS it would make more sense for them to keep it a chain drive.
    But, I can always wish

    Our next bikes may be a R1200RS or R1200R, but we're both worried about losing 50 HP. We don't have to have 175 HP, but it sure is fun at times.
    Lee
    2016 R1200RS
    MOA # 30878
    Past BMW Bikes: 2011 K1300S, 2003 K1200RS, 1991 K75S, 1987 K75T, 1984 R100RT

  6. #6
    Registered User RYD1WD's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2014
    Location
    Charlotte, NC
    Posts
    254
    Quote Originally Posted by Lee View Post
    When sitting on the XR it just felt massive. A lot of that had to do with the looks of the gas tank cover. After sitting on it at a shop I didn't bother asking for a test ride. Also I'm not a fan of bikes styled like an adventure bike, but is intended for street use.
    I think you're right about the chain drive. If BMW comes out with a S1000S or S1000RS it would make more sense for them to keep it a chain drive.
    But, I can always wish

    Our next bikes may be a R1200RS or R1200R, but we're both worried about losing 50 HP. We don't have to have 175 HP, but it sure is fun at times.
    The new R and RS are two of the finest bikes I have ever ridden (currently living on my R demo), and make 125 HP in a way that shouldn't leave you wanting much if you are relatively sane on the street... their power to weight ratio is better than the K16, and OH SO MUCH MORE flickable
    Greg North - Sport-Touring Junkie - BMW Brand Manager, BMW Motorcycles Of Charlotte
    There are motorcycle owners, and there are motorcycle riders.
    And then there are those of us for who motorcycling is an essential part of our journey - a way of life, and looking at it. Ride to LIVE, live to RIDE.

  7. #7
    I loved the XR. I had it for an afternoon.
    Seek Fun. "Any fool can criticize, condemn and complain--and most fools do" BF
    2009 K1300GT,
    2011 R1200GSA
    2014 Kawasaki DTracker; 2016 Honda NC700 DCT

  8. #8
    I had a K1200s, not a 1300, but I do miss it and would be very interested in adding one to my garage. The XR is cool but it is not the same thing at all. The K1300s was an elegant brute and with updating, I think it would be a sensation in the market. It would with me anyway.

  9. #9
    Registered User RYD1WD's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2014
    Location
    Charlotte, NC
    Posts
    254
    Quote Originally Posted by roamingbeemer View Post
    I loved the XR. I had it for an afternoon.
    Same... found it to be quite addicting... put 2K miles on my demo before being graciously asked to cease and desist with my love affair ... we still talk every day though
    Greg North - Sport-Touring Junkie - BMW Brand Manager, BMW Motorcycles Of Charlotte
    There are motorcycle owners, and there are motorcycle riders.
    And then there are those of us for who motorcycling is an essential part of our journey - a way of life, and looking at it. Ride to LIVE, live to RIDE.

  10. #10
    Registered User RYD1WD's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2014
    Location
    Charlotte, NC
    Posts
    254
    Quote Originally Posted by rudyinla View Post
    I had a K1200s, not a 1300, but I do miss it and would be very interested in adding one to my garage. The XR is cool but it is not the same thing at all. The K1300s was an elegant brute and with updating, I think it would be a sensation in the market. It would with me anyway.
    I hear ya, one of a few that I will wish that I had owned but never did, but have also kind of fallen off with due to the S platform offerings fitting me a bit better. From a manufacturing standpoint I'm honestly surprised it has been continued this long as the sole build on the K13 platform. I have a black '15 I will go to unusual lengths to find a new home should anyone be interested, BMW has put $1,750 on the tank this month.
    Greg North - Sport-Touring Junkie - BMW Brand Manager, BMW Motorcycles Of Charlotte
    There are motorcycle owners, and there are motorcycle riders.
    And then there are those of us for who motorcycling is an essential part of our journey - a way of life, and looking at it. Ride to LIVE, live to RIDE.

  11. #11
    One Man Wolfpack Kent Niederhofer's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Location
    West Bloomfield, MI
    Posts
    204

    K1300s > s1000s

    I have a 2009 K1300S that I bought after having ridden a variety of bikes in BMW's stable at the time. I've put nearly 21,000 miles on it (not much compared to many here) and have enjoyed every last one. Like others, I have ridden other modern BMWs including the S1000RR, S1000XR, R1200GS and many more. And after every ride, I get on my K and realize that there just isn't any other bike that provides the same combination of raw power, refinement, style, comfort and features as the 1300S. I've done 550 mile days with relative ease and covered 2,100 miles in 4 1/2 days without requiring a chiropractor. I've enjoyed all the other BMW's that I've ridden but none delivers the goods like the K1300S so, yes, I would like to see BMW provide a spiritual successor to that bike because there isn't anything that they offer right now that fits the bill.

    Kent

  12. #12
    Registered User RYD1WD's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2014
    Location
    Charlotte, NC
    Posts
    254
    Quote Originally Posted by Kent Niederhofer View Post
    I have a 2009 K1300S that I bought after having ridden a variety of bikes in BMW's stable at the time. I've put nearly 21,000 miles on it (not much compared to many here) and have enjoyed every last one. Like others, I have ridden other modern BMWs including the S1000RR, S1000XR, R1200GS and many more. And after every ride, I get on my K and realize that there just isn't any other bike that provides the same combination of raw power, refinement, style, comfort and features as the 1300S. I've done 550 mile days with relative ease and covered 2,100 miles in 4 1/2 days without requiring a chiropractor. I've enjoyed all the other BMW's that I've ridden but none delivers the goods like the K1300S so, yes, I would like to see BMW provide a spiritual successor to that bike because there isn't anything that they offer right now that fits the bill.

    Kent
    I agree, the K13S has a character and charm that is unique and very appealing to me, in an old school way. That said, it has become a bit dated in several key areas (User Definable Ride Modes, Dynamic ESA/Damping, Dynamic Traction Control, ABS Pro, Shift Assist Pro) that have allowed the newer models to surpass it in regards to overall performance and safety. If they can build a new model in the spirit of the K13S, on the S1000R platform, it will sacrifice a little (factoring power/weight if they can keep it under 500 lb wet) of the raw grunt that 30% more displacement is able to produce. In return, it'll offer far superior safety and overall performance package between your butt and contact patches. The tech is trickling down from the RR development, and there is simply no other high performance motorcycle made today that is harder to run out of skill with - I've tried during BMW testing at VIR, and failed! If BMW produces a more traditional S-T model on the S1000R platform, it's quite unlikely that I won't own one. It'll probably triple my annual tire costs, and be worth EVERY penny!
    Greg North - Sport-Touring Junkie - BMW Brand Manager, BMW Motorcycles Of Charlotte
    There are motorcycle owners, and there are motorcycle riders.
    And then there are those of us for who motorcycling is an essential part of our journey - a way of life, and looking at it. Ride to LIVE, live to RIDE.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •