• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

Would you ride this bike

Riding my new RT today and sliced the rear tire! YES, all the way through the tread! Removed the tire and patched it! Rode 150 miles back home! Anyone have experience in running on a partched (not plugged) tire.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    44.3 KB · Views: 549
If it needed a patch then I'd worry belts may have been broken so no I wouldn't use it further. I've ridden on a plug until the tire was worn but not a slice like that. If it didn't go through the carcass then I'd ride as usual. Just my opinion, most people and all tire manufacturers recommend changing a tire if it needs a plug or patch.

I've cut my tire like this before, I just chalked it up as additional grooving for better rain siping. I got full wear out of the tire, no issues. In fact it was a PR4 also.

Last edited:
If you are unsure and need to ask, then change out the tire. Take advantage of the new feature in the roadside assistance program that apparently replaces tires like this at no charge. Worth looking into

I'd change that one when I got home. Riding a bike with deer and idiots texting is dangerous enough, why add to it?

Inside of tire, that's deep. In the photo it looked like it was a 5 mm deepish cut. I thought it was just in the wubba.

Too late for now, but suggest you read this for the future:

I just upgraded my BMWMOA membership with Beth at MOA ((636) 394-7277), from standard to Platinum for an extra $39. Basic membership is $40 per year; Platinum is $79 per year.

Reason I did it was for a new benefit for tire replacement, as follows:

Platinum Roadside Assistance & Tire Hazard Protection provides 100 miles of free towing, free flat service, free battery service and free fluid service. But that's not all. For the first time ever in the motorcycle industry, our Platinum Roadside Assistance & Tire Hazard Protection provides for two tire replacements per year for unexpected damage - including labor! All this for up to three motorcycles regardless of brand!

Platinum Roadside Assistance and Tire Hazard Protection plans provide for the repair or replacement of the vehicle's tires which, during the term of this Agreement, become Unserviceable due to a Road Hazard covered under this contract. Unserviceable means that the tire has been punctured or otherwise damaged to the extent that it is unsafe. Tire damage that is cosmetic in nature and that does not render the tire Unserviceable is specifically excluded. A Road Hazard is a condition on a public roadway which should not exist there, such as potholes, nails, glass, or other road debris.

a. FLAT TIRES: You will be reimbursed for the reasonable costs You incur to repair a flat tire caused by a Road Hazard while operating the Vehicle on public streets and in a legal manner.

b. TIRE REPLACEMENT: You will be reimbursed for the reasonable costs you incur to replace a tire (up to $250 per tire, max 2 tires per contract period), only if a tire covered by this Agreement becomes unrepairable due to damage caused by a Road Hazard. This coverage is valid through the tread life of a tire (for motorcycles 2/32" or less is excluded) and replacement will be made with a tire of like kind and quality to the original tire.

c. MOUNTING AND BALANCING: You will be reimbursed for the reasonable costs that you incur for mounting, balancing, valve stems, and tire disposal for any tire replaced under this Agreement. However, charges for pressure sensing devices and unspecified charges for shop supplies are excluded.

d. TAXES: You will be reimbursed for the cost of local and state taxes, as directed by state agencies for any tire replaced under this Agreement.

To me, that there is a great deal! 3 bikes, 6 tires, reimbursed up to $250 per tire, twice a year, including mounting, balancing and sales tax for $39.00!

If you don't already have this upgrade, I'd suggest getting it. If you're not an MOA member, I'd sign up for the Platinum membership, just for some piece of mind. My regular insurance (Foremost) gives me 100 miles towing, but no free tires. Now I have 200 miles towing, and free tires. Me likey !

All motorcycle shops I've ever been to won't patch or plug a tire no matter how small the damage was. As we're only riding on two tires I say replace it....just not worth the risks.

I've plugged many a motorbike tire and never had an issue. It's entirely your choice, but a proper plug on a nail puncture or similar hole is perfectly safe. If you're that worried you should probably be driving a Volvo with run-flat tires instead of a murdersycle!

ps-bike shops have liability insurance issues and would probably rather sell a new tire anyway. Can't blame them.

I've plugged many a motorbike tire and never had an issue. It's entirely your choice, but a proper plug on a nail puncture or similar hole is perfectly safe. If you're that worried you should probably be driving a Volvo with run-flat tires instead of a murdersycle!

ps-bike shops have liability insurance issues and would probably rather sell a new tire anyway. Can't blame them.

Worried! Not me! Now the previous flat I had---did cause me to worry! See Pic! Figure out where I am? Don

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    97.3 KB · Views: 356
600 miles on my new GSA and got a nail.
Fixed it the next day...
image_zpsk1hjsefk.jpeg

image_zps0ak3xvlv.jpeg

image_zps4xjypy92.jpeg

Too late for now, but suggest you read this for the future:

I just upgraded my BMWMOA membership with Beth at MOA ((636) 394-7277), from standard to Platinum for an extra $39. Basic membership is $40 per year; Platinum is $79 per year.

Reason I did it was for a new benefit for tire replacement, as follows:

Platinum Roadside Assistance & Tire Hazard Protection provides 100 miles of free towing, free flat service, free battery service and free fluid service. But that's not all. For the first time ever in the motorcycle industry, our Platinum Roadside Assistance & Tire Hazard Protection provides for two tire replacements per year for unexpected damage - including labor! All this for up to three motorcycles regardless of brand!

Platinum Roadside Assistance and Tire Hazard Protection plans provide for the repair or replacement of the vehicle's tires which, during the term of this Agreement, become Unserviceable due to a Road Hazard covered under this contract. Unserviceable means that the tire has been punctured or otherwise damaged to the extent that it is unsafe. Tire damage that is cosmetic in nature and that does not render the tire Unserviceable is specifically excluded. A Road Hazard is a condition on a public roadway which should not exist there, such as potholes, nails, glass, or other road debris.

a. FLAT TIRES: You will be reimbursed for the reasonable costs You incur to repair a flat tire caused by a Road Hazard while operating the Vehicle on public streets and in a legal manner.

b. TIRE REPLACEMENT: You will be reimbursed for the reasonable costs you incur to replace a tire (up to $250 per tire, max 2 tires per contract period), only if a tire covered by this Agreement becomes unrepairable due to damage caused by a Road Hazard. This coverage is valid through the tread life of a tire (for motorcycles 2/32" or less is excluded) and replacement will be made with a tire of like kind and quality to the original tire.

c. MOUNTING AND BALANCING: You will be reimbursed for the reasonable costs that you incur for mounting, balancing, valve stems, and tire disposal for any tire replaced under this Agreement. However, charges for pressure sensing devices and unspecified charges for shop supplies are excluded.

d. TAXES: You will be reimbursed for the cost of local and state taxes, as directed by state agencies for any tire replaced under this Agreement.

To me, that there is a great deal! 3 bikes, 6 tires, reimbursed up to $250 per tire, twice a year, including mounting, balancing and sales tax for $39.00!

If you don't already have this upgrade, I'd suggest getting it. If you're not an MOA member, I'd sign up for the Platinum membership, just for some piece of mind. My regular insurance (Foremost) gives me 100 miles towing, but no free tires. Now I have 200 miles towing, and free tires. Me likey !

Upgraded my membership this morning also👍👍👍👍

Back