• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

How Much Is My 08 RT Worth?

cookie

Jeff
This may not be the right place for this question but I need to start somewhere.
My 08 RT is in perfect condition. Not a scratch.
I have Corbin heated leather seats, an oem rear trunk and a Cal Sci windshield.
It has 28,000 miles and good Michelin PR2's.
I have been watching the Marketplace and this bike has owners asking from $8,500 to $14,000.
Please help me find a good source to identify the current market value.
Should I wait until Spring?
Thank you fellow members.
Jeff

You will get more for it in the spring relatively speaking as it will be a year older too. The market for the hexheads has dropped since the cam and wet heads came out. This month's issue of MCN has the winter used buyers guide and lists your bike at $9315 which I think is a bit high, $8000 to $8500 seems more right. But for the right bike with the right set up with the right buyer it could go for a lot more.

Power Brokers in Sioux Falls, SD has a 2010RT with 32K, trunk, Russel and stock, seats, backrest, radio, ESA and fresh 30K service.
Been on their site for $8995 for a month with no takers.
Not a good sign for the value of RT at this time.

<http://www.powerbrokersinc.com/Preowned-Used/2010-BMW-R1200RT-Sioux-Falls-South-Dakota-57107-3115818>

A question that an educated purchaser will ask: has the final drive been upgraded from the original? If you still have the original "no change" final drive, deduct $1500 as it's a huge risk to the buyer. Second question: has the fuel pump controller been changed? Those two problems will get most 08 RTs eventually.

And the EWS ring. If those three are original, it would deter me from paying over $5000.
I love my '08 don't get me wrong and would buy it again.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Asking the question in a larger Forum subset, like you have, has alerted all to its potential availability, as you may have desired. Now to actually sell your bike for what it's worth to an "actual buyer", during a specific time period, in the market you attempt to sell it in...list it in the classifieds...for say $10,000 OR BEST OFFER. Or auction it in the largest market possible (an eBay type, national market) and set your reserve at the very least possible you will accept. Only then will your leading question get a direct and useful answer.

Price and worth are not always coincident. For example, does anybody other than some guy at BMW corporate really believe that K75 spark plug wires are "worth" $320 for the set of three. I don't - but that is the price. Since the air gap in the cap makes them unique one either pays the price or modifies the ignition system. Despite what I am repeatedly told, modern industrial markets seldom remotely resemble free market theory.

As for the OP - some folks will say that it is worth whatever somebody will pay. Or not, if the most willing buyer doesn't know about it, or will be in the market next month, or in the spring, or in California but not Missouri, etc.

So we get Kelley BB, NADA, AMA, and other price guides to help folks decide if some smooth talker is trying to shaft them or not.

I appreciate you guys coming out and sharing your advice.
I like the NADA guide that's pretty cool.
If I can find someone that wants a perfect 7 year old RT and is willing to give me $10,000-$9,500 I think I would have to sell.
If it's only worth $8,000 I'll keep it.
Now, with that said why would I choose to sell my baby for a few dollars difference? <$1,500>
I think I will have it cremated along side of me.

I appreciate you guys coming out and sharing your advice.
I like the NADA guide that's pretty cool.
If I can find someone that wants a perfect 7 year old RT and is willing to give me $10,000-$9,500 I think I would have to sell.
If it's only worth $8,000 I'll keep it.
Now, with that said why would I choose to sell my baby for a few dollars difference? <$1,500>
I think I will have it cremated along side of me.
It's a great bike I still miss my 2007 as much as I love my 2014

A question that an educated purchaser will ask: has the final drive been upgraded from the original? If you still have the original "no change" final drive, deduct $1500 as it's a huge risk to the buyer. Second question: has the fuel pump controller been changed? Those two problems will get most 08 RTs eventually.

And the EWS ring. If those three are original, it would deter me from paying over $5000.
I love my '08 don't get me wrong and would buy it again.

Since when do '08s have a "no change" final drive? :scratch I just changed the FD oil in my '08 this weekend. PITA yes, but you can change it. :gerg

Since when do '08s have a "no change" final drive? :scratch I just changed the FD oil in my '08 this weekend. PITA yes, but you can change it. :gerg

I changed the oil in my '05 in the spring. There's no specific fill hole, but with the right container from beemer boneyard its no big deal.

They were advertised as not requiring a fluid change and subsequently had a high failure rate.

Last edited:

They were all to be "LIFETIME" no change when first marketed, but BMW decided they might need a flush & fill when the failure rate started going up. Those silly German engineers, what were they thinking...and still continue to think? Who knows...because there has never been a final drive problem...officially that is.

I took my 06 R12RT to a dealer several months back to see what they would allow as a trade in on a new kaw Concours 14. They were pretty straight forward with me and told me that they would only allow $4K in trade, but that I if I could get someone to pay me $6K for it that would be a pretty good deal for me and I should accept. I ran an ad for several weeks in Cycle Trader with a $6600 asking price, to allow myself a little bit of bargaining room. Not only did I not sell it, I didn't even get a call on it. After they ad time ran out, I Just dropped it rather than renew the ad at a lower price.

Based on my experience, I believe that I will have to go down to between $4500-$5000 to sell it. I still can't accept letting it go that cheap.

A perfect condition 09 sold in Santa Cruz this week for $7,200. It was owned by a top mechanic who is personally known to me to be 100% honest, upfront and open about any problems or potential problems. He said it was perfect condition, and I know it was.
I think he wanted to sell on a riders forum and did to a rider that will probably ride with him in the future. On a more open market he probably would have got more.
I think it was 09 or 08?
dc

Just bought an excellent 23,000 mile 2009 RT for $0.00...from my 80 year old brother. Just goes to show how low they sell for if the situation is right. Each "deal" can be quite different depending on circumstances.

I took my 06 R12RT to a dealer several months back to see what they would allow as a trade in on a new kaw Concours 14. They were pretty straight forward with me and told me that they would only allow $4K in trade, but that I if I could get someone to pay me $6K for it that would be a pretty good deal for me and I should accept. I ran an ad for several weeks in Cycle Trader with a $6600 asking price, to allow myself a little bit of bargaining room. Not only did I not sell it, I didn't even get a call on it. After they ad time ran out, I Just dropped it rather than renew the ad at a lower price.

Based on my experience, I believe that I will have to go down to between $4500-$5000 to sell it. I still can't accept letting it go that cheap.

I have always been one of those guys that sells a bike and replaces it. I have envied those who have kept their older bikes to tinker with and ride when the desire strikes.
I think I have decided if I can't get a large chunk of cash for the 08 RT I will just keep it and tinker with it and ride when the desire strikes.

Back