• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

Fuel Starvation Issue or what? '87 K75s

K75s Driving Lights

Mine are traditional automotive driving lights - forgot the maker but it's a common mfg. and lights Made in Japan - never been a power drain problem so I'll keep using them until they stop working - the yellow beam provides great visibility, esp. on 2 lane roads!

Attachments

• K75 Driving Lights.jpg
    K75 Driving Lights.jpg
    101.1 KB · Views: 81
In looking at the photo of your bike I believe that the plastic handguards (for R100GS) would work. These handguards are mostly secured by the mirror post. Since you are using bar-end mirrors an appropriate bolt-nut could be used. The handguards would not interfere with the windshield. The aesthetics might not be to your liking, but much of the cold air would be deflected from your hands. Following are part numbers for the plastic handguards, taken from my purchase this past Spring.

Part Number Quantity Description Each Price Extension
Parts
32712315711 1 HAND GUARD, BLACK, LEFT $23.99 $23.99 ST
32712315712 1 HAND GUARD, BLACK, RIGHT $23.99 $23.99 ST
71602315713 1 COVER, BLACK $7.99 $7.99 ST
07119907812 2 FILLISTER HEAD SELF-TAPPING $0.99 $1.98 ST
Parts Subtotal $57.95

Good work Rob!

For the past two years, all my sources had said those handguards were no longer available. And that was actually true; they are NLA as a set, but you have pointed out that they are still available as individual parts. Thanks!:thumb

:dance:dance:dance

Ken,

Great looking S !!!

I notice that it is an '87. What are the last 3 numbers of the VIN#? I can tell you what day your bike was built on and what the original color was. Your bike has been repainted (looks great!).

Also, why does your sidestand look strange? Is there something hanging down next to it?

Rob,

I thought I remember your S being blue.:scratch

Send the last 4 of your VIN and I can give you the same info that I'm giving Ken.

Rob,

I thought I remember your S being blue.:scratch

Send the last 4 of your VIN and I can give you the same info that I'm giving Ken.

The 92 K75S that you saw 5 years ago is blue. That bike is still in my garage awaiting a clutch spline lube and the installation of LED lights. The newer, to me, bike is the 88 K75S that I obtained this summer. That bike is red. I had Iron Horse BMW give it a pretty thorough going over before flying out to Tucson and riding it back to Ohio. Even with 100k miles I was amazed at the difference a freshly lubed clutch spline makes in the shifting process. Thus, I decided to do the same to the 92 bike (with 35k miles).

Ken,

Great looking S !!!

I notice that it is an '87. What are the last 3 numbers of the VIN#? I can tell you what day your bike was built on and what the original color was. Your bike has been repainted (looks great!).

Also, why does your sidestand look strange? Is there something hanging down next to it?

I'll provide Vin # when I get home. Bike was originally Blue - repainted Porsche Meteor Grey.

Side stand is fine - look at post #75 Must be a shadow or something . . .

In looking at the photo of your bike I believe that the plastic handguards (for R100GS) would work. These handguards are mostly secured by the mirror post. Since you are using bar-end mirrors an appropriate bolt-nut could be used. The handguards would not interfere with the windshield. The aesthetics might not be to your liking, but much of the cold air would be deflected from your hands. Following are part numbers for the plastic handguards, taken from my purchase this past Spring.

Part Number Quantity Description Each Price Extension
Parts
32712315711 1 HAND GUARD, BLACK, LEFT $23.99 $23.99 ST
32712315712 1 HAND GUARD, BLACK, RIGHT $23.99 $23.99 ST
71602315713 1 COVER, BLACK $7.99 $7.99 ST
07119907812 2 FILLISTER HEAD SELF-TAPPING $0.99 $1.98 ST
Parts Subtotal $57.95

Thank You, Rob - I'd like to order the handguards - if you have a close up of how they mount you can post would be greatly appreciated.

Attached are photos of the right handguard mounted to my 92 K75S, which has most of the body work removed for me to do some work this winter.

Attachments

• DSC03471.jpg
    DSC03471.jpg
    63.9 KB · Views: 69
  • DSC03472.jpg
    DSC03472.jpg
    57.7 KB · Views: 69
Here are photos of the left handguard on the 92 K75S.

Attachments

• DSC03477.jpg
    DSC03477.jpg
    58.6 KB · Views: 69
  • DSC03476.jpg
    DSC03476.jpg
    60.9 KB · Views: 69
Thanks, Rob - one concern for install on my K is the hand guards hitting the Parabellum fairing when I push handlebars from one end to the other. But plastic would "give" so probably not going to do any harm.

Ken,

Great looking S !!!

Last 3 #'s of VIN 772

Lee - I sent you a PM!!!

Ken,

150772: a Columbia Silver Metallic (616) K75S Born 2/27/87 with optional Sportseat (which I believe was the Solo seat).

It looks like they made a run of over 100 Columbia Silver bikes with the optional soloseat during that week. One of our forum members used to have one of them.

Is the 1"x2" black and white 616 paint code sticker still under the seat just to the rear of the tool tray on the left side? It is usually taken off on repaints.

Ken,

150772: a Columbia Silver Metallic (616) K75S Born 2/27/87 with optional Sportseat (which I believe was the Solo seat).

It looks like they made a run of over 100 Columbia Silver bikes with the optional soloseat during that week. One of our forum members used to have one of them.

Is the 1"x2" black and white 616 paint code sticker still under the seat just to the rear of the tool tray on the left side? It is usually taken off on repaints.

The 616 sticker still there - Columbia blue was pretty but also like the Porsche color!

Came with a nice Corbin seat - very comfortable!

The 616 sticker still there - Columbia blue was pretty but also like the Porsche color!

Came with a nice Corbin seat - very comfortable!

Ken,

BMW called it Columbia Silber Metallic. It's kind of a bluish greenish silver.

Are you the original owner? Do you have any knowledge of what seat came from the factory?

Ken,

BMW called it Columbia Silber Metallic. It's kind of a bluish greenish silver.

Are you the original owner? Do you have any knowledge of what seat came from the factory?

not the original owner but his name is in the owners manual - the bike was purchased from Leo's South in Burnsville MN - it may have had a stock seat as the guy I bought it from gave me a stock BMW seat that I just sold on Panjo - the buyer said his dog ate up his seat and he needed one in good shape so we did a deal.

Ken,

This is probably what your bike looked like from the factory. 1987 Columbia Silver Metallic with factory optional sportseat.

1986_BMW_K75S_For_Sale_Left_resize.jpg

This is probably what your bike looked like from the factory. 1987 Columbia Silver Metallic with factory optional sportseat.

This thread has been a wonderful trip down memory lane for me.

In 1988, I bought a new '88 K75S from San Jose BMW. SJBMW had previously sold the bike's entire set of bodywork to a customer to wanted to re-dress his '87 K75S, and had then reclothed the naked '88 in Columbia Silver Metallic. The '88 had the stock seat, and being an '88 also had the black engine case, sump cover, and (I think) gearbox. Oooh, it was pretty.

I fell in love immediately - CSM was a fabulously-attractive color. I rode the bike for eleven years, until I decided to try a 1996 Oilhead RS on a bumpy road. That revealed the fabulously-seductive Telelever front suspension. I bought the RS and sold the K75S.

I haven't exactly envied your experience, Ken - although I enjoyed the outcome - and never had Lee's expertise, but I sure had a good time remembering and watching over your shoulders.

This thread has been a wonderful trip down memory lane for me.

In 1988, I bought a new '88 K75S from San Jose BMW. SJBMW had previously sold the bike's entire set of bodywork to a customer to wanted to re-dress his '87 K75S, and had then reclothed the naked '88 in Columbia Silver Metallic. The '88 had the stock seat, and being an '88 also had the black engine case, sump cover, and (I think) gearbox. Oooh, it was pretty.

I fell in love immediately - CSM was a fabulously-attractive color. I rode the bike for eleven years, until I decided to try a 1996 Oilhead RS on a bumpy road. That revealed the fabulously-seductive Telelever front suspension. I bought the RS and sold the K75S.

I haven't exactly envied your experience, Ken - although I enjoyed the outcome - and never had Lee's expertise, but I sure had a good time remembering and watching over your shoulders.

Thanks, David - it was a tall task for a non-professional trained BMW mechanic but with the help received here was able to pull it off. Lee was especially helpful and honestly I'd have never figured out how to install the air box elbow to the throttle body plenum w/out Lee's guidance.
I took her for an hour long ride on Tuesday afternoon just before the weather turned cold and wow does she purr - better than ever before - balancing the throttle bodies helped a lot besides all the other stuff . . .

I will say I wish the K75 had a telelever front suspension and better brakes but no bike I've ever owned rides as nice as the K75s. I flirt with the idea of buying a K1200GT but the build of the K75 is solid like a rock. Mechanically, "practically" bulletproof.

Thanks again!

Back