• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

Keyless fob price reductions -- whoda thunk it?

Just an update to this thread. I just checked Max BMW parts fiche. New fob is now shown as $95.48? Gotta be a typo! :deal

Under the price heading it shows NA.
Under the weight heading it shows 95.48. For some reason the weights are way off on some parts.

A&S BMW parts fiche shows $342.38 for a new fob. it also shows a discontinued fob (as of 8/21?) with a different part number.

Screenshot 2022-01-11 095900.jpg

If I am reading this thread right the fob price went from:

2014 - $284
2015 - $142
2019 - >$300 (Cap in Nov. 2019) (back to $284??)
2022 - $369 or $342

Don't lose your Fob!

I see it now. What a rip-off. Somebody that could figure out a key fob hack that could be self-programed by the owner could make a small fortune.

Most of the new vehicles have remotes that are dealer programmed- $240.00 and up. :dunno
Some will get you a bit of an anti-theft credit.
OM

I think you have it right OM. Cost of entry now. Technology and cost marches on. I guess it started with the chipped keys 20+ years ago (?). I think we have it in our heads that you can still get a vehicle key cut at the hardware store for a few bucks. I remember buying a used truck in early 2000s and being astounded that getting a second chipped key for it was over $100.

How is this for conspiracy mongering? - The next step is running the ignition to the Connected app and subject to a subscription fee. :stick :bolt

For those that still have vehicles with a common looking key- just no chip, you can get a three dollar key cut that will get you into the vehicle to perhaps get your proper keys…or phone.
OM

Back