• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

1976 R60/6 drive shaft oil capacity

bikebombs

Hi folks,after a wait of forty years I have taken ownership of my dream bike.A 1976 R60/6. Yesterday I changed the gear oil in the drive housing and final drive. The final drive was checked at the bottom thread as prescribed. I added 150 c.c.'s to the shaft housing but did not use a drift to check the level. Am I OK with just measuring the volume of gear oil added ? Thank you

If you drained the old out you are just fine. I use a broom straw and it bottoms out on the driveshaft with perhaps 1/8" showing on the measuring device. NO PROBLEM with what you did. It seems you have the intuition for the maintenance you performed........NOW get out and ride that dream of yours....God bless.....Dennis

I gave up on the "dipstick" technique for the drive shaft. I drain and refill with 150cc...or even 100cc...that's all that's needed.

BTW...welcome to the forum. Stand by while I move this thread to the Airheads forum!

Back