• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

'07 K12GT clutch question

brianhinton

2018 Rally Chair
Okay, here's the scenario......clutch gasket and coupling cap and oil pump sprocket replaced at 82k miles. All has been fine and the bike had 97k on it and I was due to get an oil change and final drive change along with new tires before a 800 mile trip last weekend. 97K and I had the work done, left town and all was fine, for the whole 4 days we were on the road. Got back home, parked the bike on Sunday evening. Now the bike has 98K and on Friday I hopped on for a short little ride. Right after startup, shifted into 1st and the bike sort of "lurched" forward. I got out on the highway and felt that shifting was harder than normal and to get into neutral was like a dance.......1st, 2nd, 1st, 2nd, 1st.....you get the idea, and that followed by a decrease in performance when twisting the throttle hard. Now, the bike has had Castrol 10-40 in it since the beginning, and when the last oil change was done, the guys used Motul 10-40. Question is, has anyone experienced this before, after an oil change, just like light switch? It was fine one day, then after the oil change it was working this way. Keep in mind that after it was changed we went on 800 mile trip to Nashville in stop and go traffic and it was Hot! Dang it was hot, and I don't know if that would have had some adverse effect, but please , share some experiences and knowledge, thanks in advance.

It was fine one day, then after the oil change it was working this way.

Well, actually you make it sound like it was working fine for several days after the oil change, too.

Where is the hand lever at the engagement point, close to the grip or way out? Has this changed at all? Is everything in the clutch stock?

Most of what you describe sounds like incomplete disengagement, but don't see that as going hand-in-hand with the clutch slip that you also seem to be describing.

Well, actually you make it sound like it was working fine for several days after the oil change, too.

Where is the hand lever at the engagement point, close to the grip or way out? Has this changed at all? Is everything in the clutch stock?

Most of what you describe sounds like incomplete disengagement, but don't see that as going hand-in-hand with the clutch slip that you also seem to be describing.

Okay, maybe clutch slip is not the right terminology. I changed the oil back to Castrol 4T 10-40 and the shifting seems to be better. After riding it again I can describe it like this: the bike has gradual increase in speed as I twist the throttle, but not like it was before, like a rocket...lol. Just on a whim, I went out to a long desolate stretch of road and opened it up. It seemed like it was struggling to get up and out fast. In the past I have taken the bike out on this road and opened the throttle and was at 130 very quickly. Now it seems to lag on and takes a while to get up to 100. As far as the hand lever, I did not notice a differenc. It is set at number 1 and engages a little more than halfway from the grip. The clutch was replaced last May and has about 14K on it

Back