• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

Mapping, Neil Peart

biliv

Hi, anyone read the article in the latest MOA about Neil Peart's wingman? The guy with the world's greatest job. In it he mentions looking at maps, planning routes and then storing the entire route into his GPS. I would love to know how to do this. I've tried every app I could find with no luck.
I want to do exactly that. Like in the old days with triptix, etc. Look at a map, highlight the roads I want to travel and then have GPS guidance.
Can anyone tell me how to accomplish this?

Sent from my SM-N910V using Tapatalk

Sorry didn't catch the spell correct. Title was meant to read: Neil

Sent from my SM-N910V using Tapatalk

The LD riders (Iron Butt Association) types have been doing this for years. With modern Garmin brand units it is done with Garmin Mapsource or Basecamp software. With a Tom Tom Rider unit the software is called Tyre. There are also utilities that can be used to transfer routes built using Streets and Trips on a PC and I think a Mac.

If you really want to do this get a late model Garmin GPS with Basecamp software and learn to use it.

Disclaimer: I have been using a GPS since 1998. I have never used a "route", but often enter several waypoints and set one as a destination and others as "via" points along the way. When riding I am almost always navigating to a waypoint.

Back