• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

Lane Sharing/ Splitting car door opens in my path:

ric.escalante

Lane Sharing/ Splitting car door opens in my path caught on video:

What are your thoughts on this? In California, it's LEGAL to lane share/split. While I was doing that, a car opened their door in my path.

According to CHP and my insurance, I was in the guidelines. I was not on the line, I was going at a safe speed. The question now comes to, why did the passenger open their door.

Last edited:
Because you were there.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Yeah.....I'm thinking it was intentional. I have it slowed down, and just can't get over the fact that someone would do that. And the other thing is, if I didn't have my GoPro on, I'd be screwed.

According to CHP and my insurance, I was in the guidelines. I was not on the line, I was going at a safe speed. The question now comes to, why did the passenger open their door.

Who knows why, and I don't plan on second guessing, but I have to wonder why someone would open their car door on a freeway. At least you got the license plate of the SUV. Hopefully, the CHP will follow up with the cars owner, and it would be even better if they let you know the results.

Yeah.....I'm thinking it was intentional. I have it slowed down, and just can't get over the fact that someone would do that. And the other thing is, if I didn't have my GoPro on, I'd be screwed.
Not so sure. It appears to me that the passenger (who appears to be an early-/mid-teen, i.e., not the people most likely to think about the consequences of their actions) has her head down, as if she is either looking for something alongside the seat, getting ready to spit out a piece of gum, etc. Since the cage traffic is hardly moving, it's not like she was opening the door when it would be "dangerous" (like at 60 mph). So my vote is unthinking youngster, not malice.

Not so sure. It appears to me that the passenger (who appears to be an early-/mid-teen, i.e., not the people most likely to think about the consequences of their actions) has her head down, as if she is either looking for something alongside the seat, getting ready to spit out a piece of gum, etc. Since the cage traffic is hardly moving, it's not like she was opening the door when it would be "dangerous" (like at 60 mph). So my vote is unthinking youngster, not malice.

I'm kind of thinking the same. Rear passenger, probably not looking rearward. Stupidity is more common than ill will.

Did you stop?

I'm kind of thinking the same. Rear passenger, probably not looking rearward. Stupidity is more common than ill will.

Did you stop?

It's just so hard to tell. Only he knows. It's actually a guy in his 30's. I have a screenshot of his face. Yeah, I stopped to the shoulder. Wasn't going to stop in the median. I didn't know their intentions so, so didn't want to get run over. They didn't stop or pull to shoulder. Reported it to CHP and all that. It is illegal to open your door on the freeway in California. So intentional or not, they're responsible for the damage. It was just timed too perfect.

They didn't stop or pull to shoulder. Reported it to CHP and all that. It is illegal to open your door on the freeway in California.

So they probably have a hit-run violation as well. Good that your video picked up the plate number.

Oh, nice recovery...

. It was just timed too perfect.

The timing was perfect for contact; however that in no way means it was intentional. If he opened it 10 seconds later it would not be a posted video. It is like a deer strike, it really is about the timing, not the intention or the deer.

Look at the persons body position. If they wanted to hit you they would have opened the door and leaned away from contact. This person opened the door and leaned into the contact area. He had no idea you were there.

The way I see it, it's like Texting. You didn't mean to rear end the guy, but you were illegally texting, so you're %110 at fault. Same thing with the door. It's illegal to open your door on a freeway. You might not have meant to hit the guy (me), but you should have to suffer the consequences for your actions for whatever (CVC 22517) fine is.

The way I see it, it's like Texting. You didn't mean to rear end the guy, but you were illegally texting, so you're %110 at fault. Same thing with the door. It's illegal to open your door on a freeway. You might not have meant to hit the guy (me), but you should have to suffer the consequences for your actions for whatever (CVC 22517) fine is.

True. Whatever his intent the drive's insurance has to pay. Out of curiosity what freeway were you on and what city when this occurred?

I don't think it was intentional. Looks like the person made an attempt to quickly close the door once he saw the bike. Maybe was going to pour out a drink onto the pavement.

Only he knows. It's actually a guy in his 30's. I have a screenshot of his face.
Really?? I would have sworn that in the first (slowed/stopped) screen I saw a girl-like high ponytail when (s)he turned her/his head.

EDIT: After looking again, I may have mistaken a dark line of the dashboard for a ponytail. In any event, it still looked unthoughtful/unintentional (like oh, cr@p!) to me. Of course, I'm the sort that thinks "never attribute to malice that which can be explained by stupidity."

Glad you were not seriously hurt. :thumb

Curiosity question though:

Having watched your video, there appear to be huge gaps behind most vehicles and traffic seems to be in motion.

Why were you lane splitting in the first place?

Glad you were not seriously hurt. :thumb

Curiosity question though:

Having watched your video, there appear to be huge gaps behind most vehicles and traffic seems to be in motion.

Why were you lane splitting in the first place?
It will be interesting to hear his answer, but I would observe that the traffic was moving rather slowly (<20 mph?), and it is perfectly acceptable to lane-split in CA with traffic moving at low speed.

As far as the spacing, that looks normal low-speed, moving heavy traffic spacing, based on my 35+ years of daily commuting in Wash., DC traffic (involving both 70+ mph interstates and 2-45 mph heavy street traffic in the same twice-daily rides).

IIRC from your posts elsewhere, you are *strongly* anti-lane-splitting and think it should be banned, but this incident does not support your position -- traffic need not be at a dead stop to warrant allowing motorcycles to advance through the vehicular molasses.

It will be interesting to hear his answer, but I would observe that the traffic was moving rather slowly (<20 mph?), and it is perfectly acceptable to lane-split in CA with traffic moving at low speed.

As far as the spacing, that looks normal low-speed, moving heavy traffic spacing, based on my 35+ years of daily commuting in Wash., DC traffic (involving both 70+ mph interstates and 2-45 mph heavy street traffic in the same twice-daily rides).

IIRC from your posts elsewhere, you are *strongly* anti-lane-splitting and think it should be banned, but this incident does not support your position -- traffic need not be at a dead stop to warrant allowing motorcycles to advance through the vehicular molasses.

News flash Mark -

I asked the OP why he chose to lane split under the conditions present. I will await his answer, if he so wishes.

Your 'expert' psycho-analysis of what I'm currently thinking is unnecessary.

Back