• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

banzaibob

Correct me if I am wrong; the GS911 Wifi is compatible with ANY smartphone? How about any computer/laptop with wifi? The GS911 USB is only compatible with a windows format, correct? Not compatible with any Mac OS?

From the website:

This product has support for USB & WiFi connectivity and is compatible with the GS-911 Windows
PC software for Windows XP and Vista (32 & 64bit), Windows 7 (32 & 64bit) and Windows 8 (32 &
64bit). To run the PC software on your Mac you will need to install Parallels or Apple Bootcamp.

It can also connect to ANY device with a browser and wifi to deliver Emergency Functionality (ECU
information, reading & clearing of Fault Codes, Engine real-time [live] data) on iOS (iPhone & iPad),
Android devices and Windows Phone 7 & 8 etc...

Seems like the answer is yes??

So the answer to whether it will run on a Mac without installing some windows enabling programs is no? And yes, it will work on any I-phone?

So the answer to whether it will run on a Mac without installing some windows enabling programs is no? And yes, it will work on any I-phone?
Seems straight forward: "To run the PC software on your Mac you will need to install Parallels or Apple Bootcamp." I run it under Parallels on my OS X MBP, with the older yellow GS911.

The yellow versions do NOT work with an iPhone -- a fundamental hardware and software issue that will never change.

The new red GS911's are iOS (iPhone) compatible, accordingly to HexCode.

The new red GS911's are iOS (iPhone) compatible, accordingly to HexCode.

But only for what Hexcode calls "Emergency Functionality," not the entire suite. On the GS-911wifi description page , Hexcode says:

GS-911wifi Enthusiast Version
This product has support for USB & WiFi connectivity, and is for use with Windows™ XP SP3, Windows™ Vista, Windows™ 7 and Windows™ 8, as well as Emergency functionality on iOS (iPhone & iPad) and Android devices.

Hexcode's Chart compares the various models.

But only for what Hexcode calls "Emergency Functionality," not the entire suite. On the GS-911wifi description page , Hexcode says:

GS-911wifi Enthusiast Version
This product has support for USB & WiFi connectivity, and is for use with Windows™ XP SP3, Windows™ Vista, Windows™ 7 and Windows™ 8, as well as Emergency functionality on iOS (iPhone & iPad) and Android devices.

Hexcode's Chart compares the various models.

And that's the stickler. I had a friend with one and an android tablet and he couldn't reset my service reminder. Turns out he needed the windows software to do that minor thing.

And that's the stickler. I had a friend with one and an android tablet and he couldn't reset my service reminder. Turns out he needed the windows software to do that minor thing.
Not surprising -- that's not emergency functionality.

The wifi version for at least the new RT allows you to reset the service reminder with an android or iPhone along with a lot of other stuff so long as both devices are on the same wifi network. Device to device wifi is limited to emergency functions only. The cloud functionality is coming a long way.

The wifi version for at least the new RT allows you to reset the service reminder with an android or iPhone along with a lot of other stuff so long as both devices are on the same wifi network. Device to device wifi is limited to emergency functions only. The cloud functionality is coming a long way.
From what I read, is the wifi version is the connection portal to the bike?
An Android or iPhone is the portal to a cloud based software package?
Then- those pieces of hardware work through the cloud?

:scratch
OM

From what I read, is the wifi version is the connection portal to the bike?
An Android or iPhone is the portal to a cloud based software package?
Then- those pieces of hardware work through the cloud?

:scratch
OM

Yes sir. Phone has an app that connects to the internet and the gs911. Gs911 likewise connects to the phone app via the same wifi network and uses the app and internet connection to manage the software. So long as they are on the same wifi network the phone app and the gs911 connect and use the cloud to communicate the various sensor reads, resets, etc. Works very well and connection takes seconds.

Essentially you are using the servers in the cloud to do the heavy lifting that a local Windows pc running the software locally would do.

Yes sir. Phone has an app that connects to the internet and the gs911. Gs911 likewise connects to the phone app via the same wifi network and uses the app and internet connection to manage the software. So long as they are on the same wifi network the phone app and the gs911 connect and use the cloud to communicate the various sensor reads, resets, etc. Works very well and connection takes seconds.

Essentially you are using the servers in the cloud to do the heavy lifting that a local Windows pc running the software locally would do.
Cool :thumb
It's always nice to realize how the devices work before a purchase. Knowing that a wifi connection is so important is a big deal.
I've "tagged" up the thread in the hopes it benefits others as well.
Probably at a point as it's not Hex/Cam specific, I'll move this to gear.
Gary

I've never used mine over wi-fi
I find it simpler to just connect the USB cable to my Windows 8 tablet and get access to all the features.
I'm next to the bike anyway and the supplied USB cable is long enough.

I just wish there was an extension cable for the bike connector. I would like to be able to take some data while riding but the position of the diagnostic plug on my RT prevents me from installing the seat when the GS-911 is connected. If I had an extension, I could move it to another location under the seat.

I've never used mine over wi-fi
I find it simpler to just connect the USB cable to my Windows 8 tablet and get access to all the features.
I'm next to the bike anyway and the supplied USB cable is long enough.

I just wish there was an extension cable for the bike connector. I would like to be able to take some data while riding but the position of the diagnostic plug on my RT prevents me from installing the seat when the GS-911 is connected. If I had an extension, I could move it to another location under the seat.

It is just a standard USB plug. You can buy longer versions at best buy.

Jim :brow

Thanks

Dan, this looks like what you need.
http://www.hexcode.co.za/shop

GS_911_extension_1.0.png

$65 for a .5 meter or 1 meter cable.

Ted Porter should be able to fix you up.

It would be very easy to port the iPhone app to Mac OS.

Back