• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

Delay in restarting on '14 GS

drswift

I've accidentally killed the engine a few times from a standing start at an intersection (trying to adjust to the instant throttle control). Each time there is a delay of several seconds before the start button will fire the engine. First two tries do nothing. Anyone else experiencing this? Is it a bum switch?

I wonder if you just haven't given the system a chance to reset. Since the bike is stalled I'm sure all you want to do is start it and move, the RT does need a sort time to cycle first. Have you tested it under less pressing conditions?

Jay

I'm thinking that it is a "reset" thing, but it is very disturbing to be sitting in traffic trying to get started again.

I've accidentally killed the engine a few times from a standing start at an intersection (trying to adjust to the instant throttle control). Each time there is a delay of several seconds before the start button will fire the engine. First two tries do nothing. Anyone else experiencing this? Is it a bum switch?

Hey Dave, I have the 2015 R1200RT and have stalled it a couple of times when starting out from a stop light and no delay in re-starting it. In fact, last time it started so fast I had not come to a complete stop when it got going again.
I would suspect a switch problem.

I have an appointment at the dealer next week for my first 12K service, so I'll add it to the list.

After reading this thread, kinda sounds like my F800GS in that it has what has been described as a "snachy" throttle- and easy to stall. It seems that a number of the new bike have what I call- 0 rpm to 4000 rpm with just a small amount of throttle movement but in order not to have the bike stall, it's almost has a non-linear feel.
All that said, with the bike in a "quick stall" the bike would still be in gear so it's easy to not have the clutch (switch) pulled in enough to allow the bike to re-start......It won't start in gear without the clutch pulled in completely.
All this is easy enough to sorta test out if you want- just in a parking lot.
Good luck.
OM

I have a 2013 GS, and no problems restarting immediately after a stall. I would definitely show the service guy by intentionally doing it at the shop.

Back