• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

Tire Change

mindsoma

BMW R 1200R 2009
My bike has around 7 K miles. The tires are stock and do not show any sign of rot etc.,. The tread is good.
However, I ordered new Michelin RP-3. The BMW dealer is 45 miles up in Metuchen, NJ. I cant carry the new tires on the bike.
However, there is a Kawasaki dealership nearby, that can install tires.

My question is : Is it safe for me to have the Kawasaki dealer work on the rear end. I do not want them to crack the wheel flange.
What is the correct torque for the rear bolts?

Thanks

M Khan

I have guys ride up with tires on R12R's ...tires taped together and strapped down with cushioning on top of the side cases . Not impossible.

Your dealer will install "bring in" tires? some shops don't these days for whatever their reasoning.

That said, any installer can do the job...be wary of rim clamps used on some machines as they leave teeth marks. Figure if they do any cast wheels they are OK.

Torque is 60Nm/44ft-lbs on the lug bolts, info in the owners manual...the flange cracking is internet scarey, wouldn't worry about it too much unless you see a big air gun!

PS...tell them the header to muffler clamp is loosened and the hanger bolt up high is removed to swing muffler out and down to allow tire to come off.

Most shops around me can not balance the BMW rear on my RT. they don't have a spacer large enough for the center hole. Assume R is same.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Most shops around me can not balance the BMW rear on my RT. they don't have a spacer large enough for the center hole. Assume R is same.

:laugh:laugh:laugh Oh yeah...then there is that issue...If a dynabeads user, no problemo...problemo for the rest of us.

Dunno where the OP is from - but it appears NJ from the mention of the Metuchen dealer.

There is a private BMW shop in Howell NJ. Had him install my PR4's this week.

He's (Mike) been installing my tires for about 15 years now. His prices are quite reasonable (much less than dealer prices), and you get to talk to him and look around his shop.. which is sort of a treat. He also has the very expensive BMW wheel adaptor for the large-hole rear wheels, and a Hunter spin balancer to use it with. The Kawasaki shop will not have the needed adaptor.

If you're interested - PM me and I'll give you the contact info.

You also may want to consider joining one or more of the local NJ BMW clubs (there are 4.. 3 that ride and attend events together, and the other one.) I can pass info on the clubs along too. Members have info that you'll undoubtedly find useful.

And yes - I've carried tires on the back of my bike to get them changed. I have the small BMW rear rack on my R12R - and with a few bungie cords you can pretty easily strap down two tires. It's not a real problem except people look at me funny (which they do anyway - wearing a glowing-orb helmet and a Roadcrafter gets their attention..)

EDIT - see you're in Princeton. Easier ride to Howell, about 35 miles from Princeton. And the NJ Shore BMW Riders meet tomorrow night, at Schneider's German-American Restaurant in Avon NJ (Main St, aka NJ-71) - we eat starting at 6PM, meeting starts at 7:30PM. You would be quite welcome to join us.

The rear tire of an RT can be installed and balanced at any car shop. I assume the R is the same. ( That's what I did when I changed my rear tire rubber valve for a metal one) The size of the rear wheel is the same as a car wheel. The front is different.
I don't think car shops have the adaptor for the front.

Back