• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

'96 R850R engine sputters from low revs especially when cold

desertrider2

Before being warmed up the engine often sputters going from idle or near idle to higher revs. My solution so far is to very gradually roll the throttle open. But, this problem is one I did not have with my previous 1999 R1100RT Boxer engine, so I'm wondering if there is a fuel delivery problem, or?

sputtering R850 engine

First try the cheap fix. Run a couple of bottles of Sea Foam or Techron through the tank and see how it runs.

When was the last time you changed the fuel filter?

Best of luck

Will

Before being warmed up the engine often sputters going from idle or near idle to higher revs. My solution so far is to very gradually roll the throttle open. But, this problem is one I did not have with my previous 1999 R1100RT Boxer engine, so I'm wondering if there is a fuel delivery problem, or?

Does it idle smoothly, cruise at 40-60 mph okay? If it does here are a couple possibilities.

--how are the plugs and plug wires, is there a strong spark

--when was the last time pump, in-tank hoses and fuel filter were changed. You can check them without opening the tank by measuring the volume of fuel returning to the tank at idle. It should be two liters per minute.

--are you coding plug, intake and exhaust standard? Any fueling enhancements.

Spark Plugs..............You can spend a lot of money, time and stress before you take care of the simplest things first.

I just had this issue with 2001 R1100R. Cleaning throttle bodies. Replacement of fuel filter and cleaning of tank whilst in “there” did the trick.

Back