• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

Coolant Leak 2014/2015 R1200 RT

Hello Friends.

Wanted to get a pulse on the Coolant Leak situation of the 14/15 bikes.

I recently bought a '14 and I am enjoying it very much. After a recent ride I was cleaning the bike and discovered a coolant leak from the weep hole on the left side. This leak was not trivial but a very large spray of dried coolant extending from the hole to the bottom of the engine and rearward a significant distance. I have photos I can share with interested parties.

I took the bike to my local dealer who took a rather casual look at it and declared it "Normal".

I do not consider it in any fashion "Normal". Most liquid cooled machines contain their liquids... that is normal... to me... not a leak.

I contacted BMW Motorrad, NA and after several days the answer I received was also "normal". Their reply was "so sorry but go to your dealer..."

Further conversation revealed that BMW NA does not and cannot talk to BMW engineers or others who may be able to shed some light on the "normal" coolant leak... and furthermore... go to your dealer.

I find this reply well-short of good customer relations support and I feel like it is another problem that is being swept under the bureaucratic rug... just go to the dealer...

So... if any of you would like to... please contact me with your Leak Story... good, bad, indifferent. I am compiling a list. Nothing planned to do with it yet... just making a list of those of us who had/have the leak. You can post here, post a Private Mail to me, or email me at bstovall735@gmail.com

ALL replies will be kept in strict confidence and not action using your information will the taken without notice to you.

Thanks.

Bob

P.S. I still love the bike, but I hate the way this is being dealt with.

:laugh That's what us OLD Hexhead owners said about the Camhead change:wave

You got me on that one.....however the only problem I have had was the fuel strip. I have refused to test ride the wet head because I'm afraid I might get hooked.:)

Jim, l made that very mistake. I brought my wife's GS in for warranty work and test rode a '14 RT for kicks........it followed me home.

I had the leak on my 2014 RT. I didn't even notice it but was talking to someone who pointed it out. You could see the stain from the weep hole but it hadn't lost enough fluid to move the level on the check thing. Dealer replaced the water pump. No further issues.

Wanted to get a pulse on the Coolant Leak situation of the 14/15 bikes.

Then you should obtain the Winter 2014 issue of BMW Motorcycle Magazine and read the article "Long-Term Test, BMW R1200GS First Inspection Report."

THIS is the source for BMW in-service information ... not your dealer and for sure not MOA.

New water pump design available, etc., etc.

It's Leaking

I've had my 2014 RT for less than a month. It's in the shop now to get the leak fixed.

Attachments

• Coolant Leak.jpg
    Coolant Leak.jpg
    56.7 KB · Views: 387
Dealer just changed mine at 4000 kms, started to leak at about 600 kms. Fluid loss over that time (4 - 5 weeks) and distance was negligible. Bike was in the shop for about 4 hours.

Ok, well my leaky shock is on order but hadn't seen a coolant leak....until now after about 1,500 miles. I will take it to the dealer and have them add parts to my order. So it sounds like the consensus for the 14/15 R1200RT is they replace the entire water pump?

I had the pump and seal replaced because this last October and while at was at the dealer today, the tech noticed that it was dribbling out of the weep hole again so they're going to replace the stuff again.

I really don't think it's a huge issue and have a 2000 mile trip planned before the parts arrive and we could schedule the installation.

Ok, well my leaky shock is on order but hadn't seen a coolant leak....until now after about 1,500 miles. I will take it to the dealer and have them add parts to my order. So it sounds like the consensus for the 14/15 R1200RT is they replace the entire water pump?

I had my shock replaced and the second one leaked and today i get a nice surprise no its not my birthday :) :scratch

My leak has stopped.

I bought my 2014 R1200RTLC from a good friend with 1900 miles on it in January of 2015. It's the best R12 series bike I've ever owned with lots more power than in the past and I love the go pro shift assist. For me all future BMWs that I buy will have it! When I saw the forum posts talking about the coolant leak I walked to my garage and looked at my trusty stead and sure enough I had some green coolant stains around that little hole on the left side of the motor. I cleaned the area and so far with 3500 miles on the clock the leaking has apparently sealed itself. The coolant level in the overflow canister is between the two marks. I'll keep checking, but hopefully mine has sealed for good.

Ok, I'm curious about something, so this is a legitimate question: Can a Wethead be used as an Airhead? Let's say you are off on vacation somewhere and you suddenly lose all your coolant. Is the Wethead designed so that it absolutely needs coolant or can you continue to run until you could get repairs made?

Ok, I'm curious about something, so this is a legitimate question: Can a Wethead be used as an Airhead? Let's say you are off on vacation somewhere and you suddenly lose all your coolant. Is the Wethead designed so that it absolutely needs coolant or can you continue to run until you could get repairs made?

Not any more than a car could become an air cooled one if all the radiator fluid leaked out. Maybe for a mile or two before catastrophic failure.

I bought my 2014 R1200RTLC from a good friend with 1900 miles on it in January of 2015. It's the best R12 series bike I've ever owned with lots more power than in the past and I love the go pro shift assist. For me all future BMWs that I buy will have it! When I saw the forum posts talking about the coolant leak I walked to my garage and looked at my trusty stead and sure enough I had some green coolant stains around that little hole on the left side of the motor. I cleaned the area and so far with 3500 miles on the clock the leaking has apparently sealed itself. The coolant level in the overflow canister is between the two marks. I'll keep checking, but hopefully mine has sealed for good.

mine has done the same on my GS LC 2015. stopped leaking about 4000 kms ago. all good so far

Back