• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

600 mile service cost

pbarton

Wow! I have a new R1200R and was calling around for a quote on first (600 mile) service: 350 bucks. :scratch They pointed out that they use full synthetic, change final drive fluid, and do a "thorough" inspection. I've owned several BMWs, albeit my last new one was a 2005 RT. It's first service cost nowhere this. The R1200R is a naked bike - no pesky panels to deal with - so the time on the bench should be short. It is, after all, basically an oil change. My Porsche costs less to service (and the first service on it was free). I'm wondering if this type of service pricing is common for these bikes.

600 mile service 2015 RT

Just had mine done last weekend in Sarasota. $295 out the door. Cheaper than my '07 back in the day by $80. Not sure if that's good or bad, just what it was

Hence the value of doing it yourself. And you are under no obligation to have any service done at a dealer or use the BMW branded fluids. The RRs are easy bikes to maintain. Another option would be a reputable independent shop. They tend to be less expensive. Buy a service manual (CD ROM) and start learning. Lots of help here.

I'm for giving the dealer the first check for a number of reasons. They should hook it to the computer and check for "latest and greatest" software update. If you don't have a history with the dealer, this will give you a chance to see how they do. This will also provide the both of you a chance to interact and should provide better service when the enevitabl warranty claim arises.
Yeah, I do realize sometimes I hope for too much.
Let us know how you make out.
Oh yeah- forgot....Welcome to the forum!
Gary

I'm for giving the dealer the first check for a number of reasons. They should hook it to the computer and check for "latest and greatest" software update. If you don't have a history with the dealer, this will give you a chance to see how they do. This will also provide the both of you a chance to interact and should provide better service when the enevitabl warranty claim arises.
Yeah, I do realize sometimes I hope for too much.
Let us know how you make out.
Oh yeah- forgot....Welcome to the forum!
Gary

I agree with Gary. While I do know my way around most BMW motorcycles I have always had the dealer do the 600 mile service on our new bikes - K75T, R1100RS, F650 Single, and R1150R.

I agree having dealer do 600 mile check for numerous reasons. However, $350.00 is mighty high. Here's receipt from my Dec 2014 600 mile service on 2015 R1200RT. I'd purchased the crankcase oil and filter earlier from same dealer. So add oil/filter and you're talking about $205.00 total. Of course, Georgia to Indiana would be quite a ride for an "oil change"!

Attachments

• photo (22).jpg
    photo (22).jpg
    77.2 KB · Views: 252
  • photo (21).jpg
    photo (21).jpg
    93.1 KB · Views: 249
I netted out last Saturday at $181.00 usd including 1.5 hours service time, and fluids, shop supplies, and disposal of old fluids.

I'm OK with this..... Cheaper than a Harley.... Yes if you are a wrench, your really lucky!!

First Services should always be a comp and incentive, after spending this kind of money on a new bike.

I agree having dealer do 600 mile check for numerous reasons. However, $350.00 is mighty high. Here's receipt from my Dec 2014 600 mile service on 2015 R1200RT. I'd purchased the crankcase oil and filter earlier from same dealer. So add oil/filter and you're talking about $205.00 total. Of course, Georgia to Indiana would be quite a ride for an "oil change"!

Good service at a fair price?

I'm betting it was Falcone Motorsports in Indianapolis.

Been there - had work done - nice people. :thumb

First Services should always be a comp and incentive, after spending this kind of money on a new bike.
Yeah, I guess your right in a perfect world but...............
The overhead of a "free" or "no charge to you", has to be paid somehow. I am not sure where things have gone so far awry that retail comparison is like a circus mirror, but it seems it has. The example is or would be seeing a bike for sale at full MSRP and one at 2K off MSRP. The real comparison is sometimes that the full MSRP includes maintenance for 36/36 months or miles and the other doesn't.
IMO anytime I see something as "free", I immediately substitute "no additional charge" as the costs have to be recouped somewhere.....Again, a savvy shopper figures out where and makes the best deal.
Going one step further, I define the best deal as the one where both the buyer and seller are happy. When I trade a vehicle, I find that if I receive wholesale and pay wholesale or receive retail and pay retail, it works out well :gerg
OM

This is the art of negotiation. I may want a tank bag not the service. If I was the dealer I would offer the first service at no charge, the 600 is very inexpensive for the dealer. It's a good way to get you hooked on coming in and feeling good about how they will take care of you when the 12,000 mile/first year (this includes spark plugs, valves check/adj, brake fluid change, air filter plus the 600 service) bill comes due.

Jay

Back