• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

Skirting the US/MEX border

lachsmith

Just wanted to put some feelers out for any advice or stories from the border. My friend and I are making a long distance circuit of the US starting and ending in Boston and will be traveling along the TX, NM, AZ, and CA border with Mexico for a bit. The southern leg of our journey is tentatively set to end in Tijuana or Ensenada before we head up the Pacific coast to WA. We are riding an '85 k100 and a '91 r100 and have the least intention of making a target of ourselves but we've heard some tales of bribery, robbery, intimidation, and worse at the hands of the Federales and cartels.

Basically we want to reach out to anyone who rides in the northern Baja region for tips, any sort of advice for staying safe, or to tell us not to worry at all. Thanks for the help!

Can't tell where you intend (if you intend) to enter Mexico. But you are as safe riding along the border in the Big Bend of Texas as anywhere else in the U.S. We live south of I=10 and South of US 90, about 30 miles from the border and ride our motorcycles all over the area all the time and are safer here than we ever were in Kansas City, or St. Louis, or Des Moines, or Arkansas.

You should expect to have periodic stops at Border Patrol stations riding in those areas. The personnel have always been professional and usually ask if you are a US citizen and if affirmative they move you along. Often there will be a dope sniffing dog working these stations. You will also see numerous Border Patrol vehicles parked and patrolling near the border.

I have had no issues with shake downs from any government official while traveling in Mexico. Ensenada is a great town with some excellent seafood, have fun, ride safe.

This would probably get more responses in the proper section of Regionals.

That said, I work on the border frequently. You should have absolutely no issues on the US side. The Mexican side I would say avoid Neuvo Laredo, Juarez and Nogales, but the rest are generally OK.

Jim :brow

Certain parts of big cities can be a problem, just like here. Most of the other areas are rural and there just isn't much out there.
You should get Mexican insurance, which you can get online.
I never reenter the USA at Tijuana. They tell me there, and I know Mexicali and Tecate, motorcycles go to the head of the line.
Don't take any guns into Mexico.
If you can include San Felipe I would recommend that place. It is a lot nicer than Ensenada. But I just went down to Ensenada two weeks ago, so it's not a bad place.
dc

Back