• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

Boring Right Side Oil Feed Passage (early engine case)

typ181r90

Superkraut
Anyone have any experience using this tool to create an oil feed bore to the right cylinder on the early cases?

I'd like to take care of this before assembling the bottom end, but don't see the tool anywhere except for being on loan from the BMW VMCA, of which I'm not a member.

I've not used it nor know anyone who has. I've read though that it works nicely, though.

Join us. The tool loan program and the most knowledgable pre and slash 2 owners and maintainers are going to help. Most of us do not post here. Slinger cleaning is in the future on my 59 R60 and I will bore that right side oil passage.
Best

I guess I'll have to join as I can't seem to find the tool available for sale anywhere.

I just wanted to see if the results have been good, the concept sounds great but adding an additional oil passage made me think that something else in the system would be getting less oil. I suppose not since the later cases included the passage, but didn't know if anything else changed in the oiling system for the /2s

I think BMW thought that side of the engine would get the enough oiling from splash but it turned out that it wasn't, hence the added feature in later models. Duane Ausherman mentioned it on the Yahoo forum and he certainly suggests doing it.

Back