• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

Is a new '14 650GS up to the full TAT ride?

Hi Kevin, see you in Dawson. My youngest son, an art history major, and I on one of our trips to Alaska.

Attachments

• 2011 ALCAN Kitwonga.jpg
    2011 ALCAN Kitwonga.jpg
    78.2 KB · Views: 73
I just bought a 2013 G650gs. I am getting it ready for the TN to OK section of the TAT first part of summer. I am mounting a Rotopax 2 gal for extra fuel. Maybe I missed it, but when are you starting your trip?

I just bought a 2013 G650gs. I am getting it ready for the TN to OK section of the TAT first part of summer. I am mounting a Rotopax 2 gal for extra fuel. Maybe I missed it, but when are you starting your trip?

It looks like we'll be meeting up in at the start around mid-June. We're going to likely do the first half out to Colorado and store the bikes then come back and do the second half in late August. I thought the 650GS would be fine for the eastern half of the TAT but I wanted something that could also do the most challenging sections and my concern on it was the smaller front wheel and wheel hugger fender and how that would perform in deep mud and big rocks. I loved the power and solid feel of the 650GS - it was a very tempting choice even at $3,000 more than the KLR for a discounted '14. If I could have found a Sertao I might have bought it instead of the KLR but now having put a few hundred miles on the Kaw - it's going to be a fine mule for this trip.

If you're doing only through OK, it doesn't look like you'll need any extra fuel. I'm hearing that the challenge is NV where you need 180 miles - if you don't have to back-track or get lost.

Back