• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

Rethreading Set

barryg

It seems that threads are a common bane of the airhead rider. I was a job shop machinist/ tool and die maker for over 25 years so I was constantly machining threads or fixxing them. Machined a lot of threads on the lathe both standard and metric. I've got several fairly extensive tap and die sets, again standard and metric. I see alot of guys run into this on their bikes. Fluid fill and drain holes messed up. Exhaust nut froze on the head. Threads gone or crossthreaded. What a mess. This little set can help in some situations. It contains both metric and standard. They are good to remove nicks and burrs and thread chasing. These are not intended to cut new threads. There are two thread files in the kit. One is out by the bikes being used. Some might want to add this kit to their tool inventory.

Metric Taps
6-1.00mm
8-1.25
10-1.50
12-1.25
12-1.50
12-1.75
Metric Dies- Same
Thread File Metric
And it also has the National Course and National Fine Taps and Dies US Thread Pitch Files.

Nice to see your set is actually made in the USA. When I bought my Craftsman metric tap and die set (I think 3-4 years ago) it was made in China, really bummed me out.

I've got a set like that. It is used for every engine rebuild I'm involved with. Every fastener and threaded hole get cleaned out, then blown out with air. One item I also use is a wire brush to clean the chasers from all the crud they accumulate. As was noted, these do not cut new threads, so sometimes we must use a tap/die to really do a good job on a messed-up situation.

You can buy the pieces individually from Snap-On, and there are more than are shown on the Craftsman kit. The first one I bought was a M10x1 fine-thread for a brake bleeder.

Yes, it's a starter kit. I know a lot of guys run a tap in a hole to fix the bad threads and break it off. Now you have a hardened piece of metal in the hole. Bad news. These rethreading pieces are hardened different than taps and dies. Taps in a fresh proper size drilled hole cut evenly in the diam. of the hole, all good. A tap in a oval shaped/cross threaded hole has a good chance of breaking off, Snap, Oh No. I get the call Barry, what do I do. You need the rethreading dies and taps and do it yourself or get a machinist ot tech to fix it.

Some times the threaded piece/ hole is beyond repair of just fixxing threads. This leads to helicoils and timeserts, another type of fix.

Back