• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

2016 Rally location?

Jim,
I was just thinking, has the MOA ever done a rally in Huntsville AL? Like Chattanooga, it has the potential for an awesome rally. Chicken rally works great there but the ditto landing we use probably not big enough, have to find something bigger.

Jim,
I was just thinking, has the MOA ever done a rally in Huntsville AL? Like Chattanooga, it has the potential for an awesome rally. Chicken rally works great there but the ditto landing we use probably not big enough, have to find something bigger.

No, the National Rally needs a huge location like a State Fairgrounds. Even Barbers would not be big enough even though the RA rally was there.

Jim,

Are you recommending that the rally be held in October, as well?

Jim,

The Gold Wing rally ("Wing Ding") is being held this year (Labor Day weekend) in Huntsville, Alabama. Typically, the GWRRA hosts about 10,000 attendees, but not in tents, so not sure if there is a venue there with sufficient green space. :scratch

Jim,

Even if there was adequate space, I think it would be immediately dropped from consideration because of the July heat and it's not going to be at any other time.

The Gold Wing rally ("Wing Ding") is being held this year (Labor Day weekend) in Huntsville, Alabama. Typically, the GWRRA hosts about 10,000 attendees, but not in tents, so not sure if there is a venue there with sufficient green space. :scratch

That is being held at the Von Braun Center which is a 10,000 seat arena. It's right in the middle of town and there is no camping space there. They probably hotel it.

What about Vermont? Weren't we there previously?

I'd like that. Barley is eight now, and since we just bought a new house Billings is not in the cards for us this year.

In 2016, if I'm lucky enough to still have him, having the rally nearby would give the old dog one more chance to be with his MOA friends and family. Tulliver, the young red dog in training to take over Barley's duties, is not showing much enthusiasm for sidecar travel.

.... "Stowe" ....away!

...I could stand some ski resort property in 16'. Prefer West Virginia north & east through even Maine....skipping PA though. Needing a few more years from there.

That would do it! VT was an excellent Rally, especially so for those that participated in the "Peaks of America" Ride for the arrival. Do overs are NOT always bad!

"travel'n" john

That is being held at the Von Braun Center which is a 10,000 seat arena. It's right in the middle of town and there is no camping space there. They probably hotel it.

Yeah - hotels/motels definitely preferred. We just hosted the "Wing Ding" here in WI (Madison) in 2014, and though local campgrounds (KOA, etc.) were populated with Wings, I'd say the vast majority (95%) took over all the Madison-area motels for about 4-5 days. Pumps a ton of $$ into the local economy.

I've camped at Gillette (after an Iron Butt to get there!), Johnson City and Bloomsburg, but have now adapted to the game plan of 'roughing it' defined as no on-site restaurant at the motel. :dance

Last edited:
Vermont or up in that area gets my vote as I haven't yet ridden in the Northeastern part of the U.S..... but traveling up that way this summer is in the back of my mind rather than going to Billings. My traveling by bike years is rapidly drawing to a close and would like to get up that way before it ends.

Hell Jack, just put a side car on the 16-hundred and move along......
I agree, Vermont would be a great place to have the next rally. I've not been up to that area yet on a bike, so I'm all in, not that my vote counts....:whistle
I was thinking of going up to New York State in June for the Americade Motorcycle show and then maybe move up north.....

Walt.... My vote counts less than yours by a long shot. "jack a-- hollow" types aren't to tolerated around the MOA very well. Have looked at trikes since I saw the K1600 done at Sedalia but sweat blood over everything for awhile. UP Bob was talking about Americade ..........maybe..

As a member/vendor I have been less then impressed as to the location of the rally the last three years and I truly wondered what the selection committee was thinking. Hopefully with Billings, that will begin the proper location of a rally site as we visited that location several years ago for the GWRRA Wing Ding and really enjoyed the area.
Bloomsburg really got a bad rap mainly because of the record breaking heat that took place during that period. I live 70 miles away from that location and never ever experienced heat like that. Despite the miserable weather, if I remember it was still a larger attending rally then the last three.
Vermont was the largest attending rally ever to my recollection. So it would seem like a no brainier to have the rally back in the far Northeast somewhere.
The Lake Placid area or anywhere in the Adirondacks would be great, so would anyplace in Vermont, New Hampshire, and Maine.
I only hope with the economy on the upswing, the MOA doing a great job of getting new memberships, that the site committee picks a site worthy of a record breaking crowed once again.

Back