• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

2016 Rally location?

Key west Florida Ted...... Key west florida...... Your getting very sleepy.... Throw in ferry rides to Cuba...... Very sleepy. Chattanooga can wait till twenty-seventeeeeeenn. When you wake up you'll fell refreshed and want to go for a motorcycle ride to somewhere very south.

Guess we were digging in same hole Kurt-

attachment.php

OM

That map looks so Italian.

Key west Florida Ted...... Key west florida...... Your getting very sleepy.... Throw in ferry rides to Cuba...... Very sleepy. Chattanooga can wait till twenty-seventeeeeeenn. When you wake up you'll fell refreshed and want to go for a motorcycle ride to somewhere very south.

Oh sure ........... just when you had me semi-hypnotized for TN, you throw The Sunshine State into the mix!

I ventured to Florida this past August (2014) during temps that topped 100 - still a joy on two wheels, and made it as far as West Palm Beach.

While I'd view a rally throughout the Keys as a bucket-list experience, I doubt many others would attend, and after all, it takes about 6,000+ at our rally to be solvent.

Back to reality, I'm betting 2016 has already been decided and is most likely awaiting contracts to be inked before announced. The MOA needs to plan that far ahead to make it a successful event.

All the playful lobbying in the world is a day late and a duetschmark short. :dunno

But seriously

I've actually never been to a national, but not for lack of desire. I paid for the Johnston city rally in '09? But couldn't go because I suddenly became a single dad of two with a full time job (early registration has it's one flaw, life happens). Every other rally since has practically been on the Canadian border, way to far for my non retired lifestyle; not necessarily for the distance traveled but for the time and cost. Watching these threads over the years I've noted what seems to be a "it's hot in July let's make the rally as cool as possible by being as north as possible" paradigm which seemed to ring untrue at the PA rally. The south is hot in July but there are ways around that location wise, specifically, in the mountains (nice riding) or by the coast (nice riding). I know the beach seems hot in the summer but most people don't stay over night. The ocean almost always provides a cool breeze in the evening and early morning.

To be clear, I'm not being critical of the great job our leadership is doing, I'm only providing what may be a different thought process or alternatives to aid there future decision making.

I ventured to Florida this past August (2014) during temps that topped 100 - still a joy on two wheels, and made it as far as West Palm Beach.

Awwwww mannn. You came by my house twice and didn't stop in for coffee and conversation? My bottom lips all poked out now. I could have showed you our boll weevil monument, our cotton fields, you could have experienced the pungent odor of our local landmark, the chicken house; throw in a couple of peanut fields and you would never want to leave lower Alabama.

Just got back from a ride there that we thoroughly enjoyed but remember it takes 10 hours or more of riding just to cross our state to get there.

Just got back from a ride there that we thoroughly enjoyed but remember it takes 12 hours of riding just to cross our state to get there.

Yep, I know. It would still be 1/3 the distance from my house as say the northwest corner or the northeast corner of the nation. Either there are very few members in the south east or the south east members are the distance riders in the club that are retired or have jobs with awesome vacation packages.

I would probably take 98/19/41 along the west coast all the way down, just because it's so pretty

Awwwww mannn. You came by my house twice and didn't stop in for coffee and conversation? My bottom lips all poked out now. I could have showed you our boll weevil monument, our cotton fields, you could have experienced the pungent odor of our local landmark, the chicken house; throw in a couple of peanut fields and you would never want to leave lower Alabama.

Next time I'm in the neighborhood .............. :thumb

Summers of '13 and '14 totaled up to 25,000+ miles on two wheels, so I do wander a bit. For 2015, going to visit the 5 remaining east coast states I don't have on my shoulder patch. Then 5 out west next year to complete all 48 contiguous states.

But Florida (and neighboring 'Bama) is never far from my mind.

Perhaps a Four Corners Run with my son, once back in country, will have me knocking on your door?!

Last edited:
....I could stand some ski resort property in 16'. Prefer West Virginia north & east through even Maine....skipping PA though. Needing a few more years from there.

"travel'n" john

I think the Zone map if very misleading. Based on many threads over the last several years, it is clear that the rally date will always be in mid to late July. It is also clear that there will be no rally where the normal weather is hot in July. These two requirements make the southern third of the country off limits to host a rally. This no rally zone should be designated on the map.

I think the Zone map if very misleading. Based on many threads over the last several years, it is clear that the rally date will always be in mid to late July. It is also clear that there will be no rally where the normal weather is hot in July. These two requirements make the southern third of the country off limits to host a rally. This no rally zone should be designated on the map.

He makes a valid point. :violin

....I could stand some ski resort property in 16'. Prefer West Virginia north & east through even Maine....skipping PA though. Needing a few more years from there.

"travel'n" john

Not every place in PA is a hot-as-heck river town, but it would be too soon to return.

One year when we were in Lake Placid it looked like Airstream was having a National Rally at that location.
I don't remember seeing much for permanent buildings.

Airstream or a BMWMOA National Rally? Which do you think would have the higher average age of attendee??

Back