• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

Headlamp Bulb Replacement - Philips Crystal Vision?

bobbymacd

I am sure there are threads on this issue already, but the search function on this Forum is *worse than useless* so I can't find them. So I apologize in advance for being redundant. (And as this issue is NOT specific to a type of bike, I suppose the Gear Forum is as good a place as any to post it....)

I want to replace my low and high beam OEM bulbs with a whiter light (4,000-5,000k) versus the yellowish OEM bulb on my 2004 RT. I DON'T want the hassles of an HID upgrade, but just want to replace with the H3 and H7 basic Halogenspec. I read where Philips Crystal Vision and Diamond Vision can replace the existing bulb with no electrical modifications required.

The question is -- do these bulbs last as long as regular bulbs or will I be sacrificing longevity for brightness?

I am sure there are threads on this issue already, but the search function on this Forum is *worse than useless* so I can't find them. So I apologize in advance for being redundant. (And as this issue is NOT specific to a type of bike, I suppose the Gear Forum is as good a place as any to post it....)

Yup...the search function really doesn't work that well! In Forum Help area, when this was brought up, it's been suggested that using google's "site" search can do pretty well. Try something like this:

site:bmwmoa.org "Phillips Crystal Vision" in the google search box.

But don't waste your time...I already did it and it doesn't look like it's been discussed recently.

Hopefully someone else will have some first hand experience for you!

And also, welcome to the forum!!

Yup...the search function really doesn't work that well! In Forum Help area, when this was brought up, it's been suggested that using google's "site" search can do pretty well. Try something like this:

site:bmwmoa.org "Phillips Crystal Vision" in the google search box.

But don't waste your time...I already did it and it doesn't look like it's been discussed recently.

Hopefully someone else will have some first hand experience for you!

And also, welcome to the forum!!

Thank you Kurt...I appreciate your taking the time to look into this for me.

And.... It's the weekend, it may take a couple of days to get a real answer.
OM

Have Phillips "+" bulbs in two bikes and two cars and bulb life is not reduced.

Typically I use +50% bulbs for low beam and +90% (now +100%) bulbs for high beam.

The bulbs with the reputation for short life are Sylvania (not Osram) Silverstars, but what would you expect from PepBoys, etc.?

Suggest avoiding bulbs whose purpose is to look blue (like Sylvania Silverstars) and go for function over form.

Blue lighting is never an improvement and the reason to install these bulbs is to increase performance and not to change how your bike looks to others.

The exception is your W5W park light bulb, where Phillips Blue Vision actually lights up to look white (not yellow). Those are in all 4 vehicles noted.

I know this isn't what you want to hear..

But the HID conversions are not difficult to do and you will experience a near religious experience when you see the difference in Lumens - 300% improvement is ballpark.

Back