• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

Oil change interval

gsjay

Ok, I actually got the owners manual out of my 2013 and read/scanned it looking for suggested oil change interval.....

Nothing found!

Anyone know what the recommendation is?

I'm thinking that fancy oil from Castrol has to be good for 5 or 6000 miles.

tks,
jason

6000 miles.....

Ok, I actually got the owners manual out of my 2013 and read/scanned it looking for suggested oil change interval.....

Nothing found!

tks,
jason

My 2014 manual says 6000 miles on oil changes. Dealer is saying 12,000 on valve adjustment.

Nothing found!

tks,
jason

It's 6,000 miles with filter. The valve check is also at 6,000 sMiles.

Jay

Go to Jim Von Baden's R1200 wethead page and find the link to wethead service schedule.

I've never seen any of his maintenance videos. Are they good?

With the wetheads (and possibly other bikes starting in at least '13) BMW doesn't publish maintenance schedules any more. When you take a bike to the dealer they put your VIN, mileage, and date of last service into their system and it spits out a schedule of the required items for your specific bike. That doesn't help the do-it-yourself folks very much.

Their system isn't all that sophisticated. Wethead service needs are roughly:

Oil change with filter every 6K
Valve check every 12K
Brake fluid flush at 6K and then every 2 years thereafter.
Air filter change every 12K (unless run in very dusty conditions)
Spark plug change every 12K
FD oil change -- I forget -- I use 12K intervals

At least it's that way for my '13 GS. I put together a very unofficial checklist that I use for my service needs. It is a one page PDF file. The latest version will always be found at this link: http://www.snafu.org/pics/r1200gsw/Service.pdf

Oil is Cheap.....

as compared to serious repairs...

on my 2013 RT (i know...not a wethead) my service intervals are as follows...

tires..................every 6000 miles
engine oil/filter....every 6000 miles
gearbox.............every 6000 miles
FD....................every 6000 miles
valve lash check.every 6000 miles
airfilter..............every 6000 miles (check)
airfilter..............every 12000 miles (replace)
spark plugs........every 12000 miles
generator belt....every 24000 miles
brake flush........every 24000 miles (or yearly)
clutch flush.......every 24000 miles (or yearly)
FD check..........weekly (3-9 & 12-6 o'clock bearing check)
brake pads........weekly
general look over...weekly (nuts/bolts, battery, etc)

i only use OEM parts and fluids and use the BMW service check list to document
i also do a system check and print with the GS911

For BMW cars sold in the USA, the motor oil change interval is 15K miles. (M-cars may be different.)

It's free at the dealer the first three times, and full synthetic is required. Gearbox and differential are lifetime filled.

It's my understanding that full synthetic is required for wetheads.

Given this short change interval (by today's standards) it's easy to understand why conventional oils were acceptable in models prior to the wetheads. Apparently the new wet clutch doesn't care so much for nonsynthetic motor oil

Given the enhanced precision of the DOHC design (camhead and on) and the presence of water cooling, one wonders about the need for checking valve clearances every 6K miles.

With water cooling especially, there's little if any difference between car and bike engines and how they're run. Just the oil bath clutch.

I think BMW likes 6K mile visits as an opportunity to inspect the motorcycle in light of the increased liability exposure for a motorcycle versus a car. Pretty good chance you'll need tires, too. It's a small volume market and dealers need the business.

For BMW cars sold in the USA, the motor oil change interval is 15K miles. (M-cars may be different.)

It's free at the dealer the first three times, and full synthetic is required. Gearbox and differential are lifetime filled.

It's my understanding that full synthetic is required for wetheads.

Given this short change interval (by today's standards) it's easy to understand why conventional oils were acceptable in models prior to the wetheads. Apparently the new wet clutch doesn't care so much for nonsynthetic motor oil

Given the enhanced precision of the DOHC design (camhead and on) and the presence of water cooling, one wonders about the need for checking valve clearances every 6K miles.

With water cooling especially, there's little if any difference between car and bike engines and how they're run. Just the oil bath clutch.

I think BMW likes 6K mile visits as an opportunity to inspect the motorcycle in light of the increased liability exposure for a motorcycle versus a car. Pretty good chance you'll need tires, too. It's a small volume market and dealers need the business.

With Wethead BMW went to every 12,000 mile intervals for valve checks. Imagine after a few years that will increase, if the gap factor experience is good.

Back