• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

How much longer until the MOA Rally Rolls East Again

crossfire3006

crossfire3006
I've looked all over the BMWMOA site and was unable to answer my own question so if this is posted elsewhere on this site, I apologize. I have know idea how the BMW Rally Site is selected from year-to-year but the last east coast rally I attended was in Bloomsburg, PA back in 2011. I enjoyed the rally very much and would love to attend another but can't take the time off needed to go too far west. My question is how much longer until the MOA Rally Rolls East Again?

They said it'll be in the east in 2016. Unknown where, but I'll go out on a limb and guess Vermont.

I suspect that you are right. Having the rally in the northeast tip of the country makes it convenient for the members in the northeast but it presents distance and/or traffic challenges for the majority of the membership. Besides the distance concerns, many of us choose to not challenge the New York and some other northeastern traffic in July on a motorcycle.

Also, regarding the basic requirements for a rally site, have they changed a lot over the last few years? I have only been to four or five MOA rallys but I don't think any of them met the current requirements. To meet all of the requirements, I think the locations will have to be near large population centers.

I'm only guessing Vermont for two reasons. The fact that there was a successful rally there years ago, and also because of the complaints about oppressive heat at a couple of the previous rallies. If I was picking the rally site I might shy away from the South in late July, at least for a couple of years. That said, there was pleasant weather this year, but it was in the North after all.

I can understand your desire to avoid the NYC area due to traffic concerns, but if you follow a more westerly route north, it may increase your travel time a bit to Vermont, but you can avoid a great deal of traffic while staying in beautiful scenery. NY State is quite different from the D.C.- Phily -NYC - Boston corridor we all think of.

I agree with ClassicVW. When folks think of NY they think of NY City. Reality is that other than NYC and a few other major urban centers, New York has a lot of delightful rural riding.

I'm only guessing Vermont for two reasons. The fact that there was a successful rally there years ago, and also because of the complaints about oppressive heat at a couple of the previous rallies. If I was picking the rally site I might shy away from the South in late July, at least for a couple of years. That said, there was pleasant weather this year, but it was in the North after all.

I think the temperature in July is more dependent on altitude than latitude. The temperature at the Johnson City, TN rally was comfortable while the temperature at Bloomsburg, PA was miserable (I know the weather was unseasonable). The temperature right now in the mountains of Virginia in late afternoon is 71 degrees. In the south, once you get out of the mountains of VA, NC, TN and GA, most of it is at low altitude. The BMW RA have had rallys in NC, AL and other southern venues by having their rallys in late May/early June or late September/early October. It worked out well in some years and not so well in others. That won't work for the MOA as the rally is going be in mid to late July.

New York has a lot of delightful rural riding.

word

i-rR6XGZb-XL.jpg

I've looked all over the BMWMOA site and was unable to answer my own question so if this is posted elsewhere on this site, I apologize. I have know idea how the BMW Rally Site is selected from year-to-year but the last east coast rally I attended was in Bloomsburg, PA back in 2011. I enjoyed the rally very much and would love to attend another but can't take the time off needed to go too far west. My question is how much longer until the MOA Rally Rolls East Again?

At one point on the way-back machine ride...........the Rally was held at the York Fair grounds. 1986 or 87, as I recall.

I agree with ClassicVW. When folks think of NY they think of NY City. Reality is that other than NYC and a few other major urban centers, New York has a lot of delightful rural riding.

I've done much of New York and surrounding states. What you refer to as rural is still burdened by more traffic than I would prefer to deal with. I was raised on the east coast and was assigned in the east multiple times while in the Army. In my opinion the east has become an undesirable place to ride. There are still some great places to ride, but getting between them is not much fun. I realize that fairness and finances dictate that rallies be held in the east, but it will be unlikely that I would attend. There is no place that will please us all.

One of my favorite nationals was the Reinbeck Rally in 99.. As an added bonus they had a special show for us at the Old Reinbeck Airdrome... I have rode thru most of New York state, and it has some of the best riding areas in the country.. Also I do not think we need to be at a State fairgrounds.. Some of the best ones in the past were at county fairgrounds... Like the York Rally in 89...:dance

site for Nationals

What about the Upper Peninsula of Michigan, say Marquette. Temperatures would be very comfortable with plenty of nice rides throughout the U.P.. There are several ways to get there from all different directions and traffic would not be bad. There is plenty to see across this beautiful part of the US. We had a National in Escanaba several years ago and plenty of people thought it was great. Let's have another one here soon.

Still can't believe there hasn't been a rally in Chattanooga. Has absolutely everything a BMW rider would want to include Pandoras motor sports. Altitude would make it cool, lots to see and do, beautiful twisty roads...

Back