• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

Electrical Gremlin

While doing a short ride today I used my turn signals for about 15 minutes then they stopped working (both sides). My flashers and clock also stopped working. All other electrical items work fine I.e. headlight, brakelight, starter, etc. Suspecting a blown fuse I checked these at the fuse block, all are good. Next item is the turn signal/hazard signal relay but this doesn't explain the clock not working. Looking at the wiring diagram the clock does not appear to be in the signal circuit.

The only assignable cause I've been able to come up is I washed the bike yesterday and am thinking water got into a connector. But why would the signals work after the wash and then today for 15 minutes?

Any ideas from the group are much appreciated.

Gremlin found

I went back to the fuses and started removing them one by one then moved them to the next fuse location. All is good, everything is working. It was a bad connection between the fuse blade and fuse terminal, all fuses and terminals have been cleaned and coated with marine grade dielectric grease.
Charlie
1992 BMW R100R

Charlie -

Just curious...when you initially said you checked the fuses and they were good, what did you do to make that assessment? Quite a few times, I've heard people say the fuses are good, usually by a simple visual check. They really need to be ohmed out to be sure. Another thing with the fuses, people will spin them in their holder to burnish the ends to ensure no surface corrosion is affecting them.

At any rate, glad your checks have cleared the problem.

Charlie -

Just curious...when you initially said you checked the fuses and they were good, what did you do to make that assessment? Quite a few times, I've heard people say the fuses are good, usually by a simple visual check. They really need to be ohmed out to be sure. Another thing with the fuses, people will spin them in their holder to burnish the ends to ensure no surface corrosion is affecting them.

At any rate, glad your checks have cleared the problem.

I did a visual and continuity check. These fuses are the type with exposed wires and blades, not the bayonet style which are hard to inspect. Cleaning their terminal points is not difficult, a small piece of sandpaper does the trick.

Back