• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

Motorcycle shipping to Europe

patrick196510

Hello everybody, I will be going to Spain in September and need to take my new 1200 GSA with me for 1 year. I would appreciate any recommendations on reliable shipping company along with insurance providers. See you on the road :usa

Look in the Yellow Pages for "Freight Forwarders". You need an international freight forwarder that can do the Customs paperwork on both sides. You can pack the bike on a long pallet. There are places who do have pre-made pallet containers just for motorcycles. You might be able to get one from a motorcycle dealer. Remember a fork lift must be able to lift and push the pallet. It should be packed well enough that if the pallet falls over the bike isn't damaged. See Forward Air website for a picture of one. Make sure that you insure the shipment. If the container falls off the ship, you are basically screwed if it is not insured. In my experience most freight forwarders are a dishonest group, so get a number of quotes. My guess would around $500-$1000 one-way for shipping, customs, and bond. When you get ready to ship the bike back use a freight forwarder in Spain and use a Customs Broker in the United States. Upon returning back to the USA, a Customs form MUST be filed 24 hours before the ship departs. $5000 fine if you miss the window. US Customs wants to know what your are shipping PRIOR to the ship leaving the port so that if they want to look at it, they can.

Here is a link that might get you started: Freight Fowarders in Chicago

Last edited:
Patrick,

You would do well to educate yourself on international transportation. A good place to start might be to talk to a few customs brokers and let them educate you on what you need to know (regulations, paperwork) and what some of the pitfalls might be. You would preferably want ones that have some experience in shipping private vehicles to Europe. These same people might be a good reference source for a freight forwarder to use. While the majority of freight forwarders are honest, some are more competent that others. In the end the better you understand the process the less likely you are to encounter unexpected problems/delays.
A place you might find some help regarding shipping vehicles overseas is over on the Horizons Unlimited website http://www.horizonsunlimited.com/ . Good luck.

I've shipped by air 3 times if that is how you are going about it.

How much of this are you planning to do yourself?

If by air, Canada is your best bet. Last year London to Vancouver was $2200 one way. Went over on a boat for $1300.

Back