• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

BMW Motorrad communicator problem - noise

TravellingTartar

Hi all.

Two riders. Two helmets. Both brand new Schuberth C3 Pro. Both with brand new BMW communicators. All works perfectly except for one problem.

My wife hears me perfectly when we talk. I, on the other hand, hear her perfectly from 0 to about 25mph at which point I get a permanent crackling/rustling sound as though someone were scrunching up some kind of futuristic metallic paper. We slow down and all is fine again. We've tried to reposition her mic up, down, tried with helmet open, helmet closed... to no avail.

Has anyone had this problem?

Going to the dealer Tuesday to look into it but input is always valuable.

Thanks all.

Jim

I don't understand the problem :)

Use musicians earplugs to filter out the noise and get up to 25 mph as quick as you can.
I'm guessing it is wind noise so I'd want to rule it out.
Do you experience the noise with the 2nd helmet turned off?
What happens when you are solo listening to music from your gps or smartphone?
Put her helmet inside the top bag with an iPhone playing music in the mic.
I assume there isn't a 3rd helmet (buddy) turned on contributing to the mix.
I'm curious to know what you figure out.

Some folks had a problem with Sena's (I know it is a different brand) when the mike was pointing in the wrong direction (away from the mouth). Could this be the case?

Use musicians earplugs to filter out the noise and get up to 25 mph as quick as you can.
I'm guessing it is wind noise so I'd want to rule it out.
Do you experience the noise with the 2nd helmet turned off?
What happens when you are solo listening to music from your gps or smartphone?
Put her helmet inside the top bag with an iPhone playing music in the mic.
I assume there isn't a 3rd helmet (buddy) turned on contributing to the mix.
I'm curious to know what you figure out.

It's definitely not wind. When I'm alone, all is fine. Also, when I play music or listen to the GPS at speed I'm fine. It only happens when my wife's helmet is on and connected to mine and only once we get to speed. We've actually found that tapping on her helmet, vs. tapping on mine, makes a huge difference. If I tap tap hers my I hear it super loud. If I tap mine, she hears it faintly. In short, we're down to thinking that it's either a defective unit or that something in the installation has rendered her mic ultra sensitive (don't ask me how :nono )

Some folks had a problem with Sena's (I know it is a different brand) when the mike was pointing in the wrong direction (away from the mouth). Could this be the case?

Yeah, I checked and it's pointing inwards (unless the mic itself, inside the stem is mounted wrong but that would be a manufacturing defect.

In short, I've taken the helmets back to Battley, in MD, and they're looking at them. I hope to get news today (or risk missing a beautiful weekend ride :cry )

Will keep you guys posted and thanks for asking!!

Jim

Update

It's definitely not wind. When I'm alone, all is fine. Also, when I play music or listen to the GPS at speed I'm fine. It only happens when my wife's helmet is on and connected to mine and only once we get to speed. We've actually found that tapping on her helmet, vs. tapping on mine, makes a huge difference. If I tap tap hers my I hear it super loud. If I tap mine, she hears it faintly. In short, we're down to thinking that it's either a defective unit or that something in the installation has rendered her mic ultra sensitive (don't ask me how :nono )
Yeah, I checked and it's pointing inwards (unless the mic itself, inside the stem is mounted wrong but that would be a manufacturing defect.
In short, I've taken the helmets back to Battley, in MD, and they're looking at them. I hope to get news today (or risk missing a beautiful weekend ride :cry )
Will keep you guys posted and thanks for asking!!
Jim

Update.
Battley were great. Special thanks to Mug for trying so hard. They offered to swap out the BMW Communicator (on backorder until June 19 :banghead)
This said, I went out for a ride Sunday and did some debugging. The sound is definitely caused by wind on my wife's microphone. If she covers the front of her helmet's chin area (where the vent is on a C3Pro) or if she ducks behind me, the wind is gone. This has, however, caused me to wonder if the problem is from the BMW Communicator or if, somehow, the C3Pro is letting air through the helmet's front end creating some kind of turbulence around the mic??
I guess I'll wait for the new BMW Communicator. If the problem persists, then it's the Schuberth helmet.
To be continued...

Back