• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

1978 BMW R100s - Value

I've seen Mike's bike up close and it's nearly perfect. His cousin took really good care of it for three decades. I have a 77 as well and love the 'S' bikes.

For the OP, I can tell you that the prices I have seen for "78s have been in the $4-$6 range around SoCal. There was one painted bright blue that would frequent our monthly vintage bike show and he was asking $5600. I don't see him or the bike any longer so I think he may have sold it, but for how much I do not know

I think the value is tops $4500.00, and here's why: This bike is going to appeal to a collector; your average joe doesn't think "35 year old motorcycle!!", let alone BMW.

I think a collector is going to look at it and think WTF? As nice as the paint may be, it's going to cost a ton to make it original.

It's not an R90s, so it doesn't command that premium.

There's a lot of "bling" on the bike that I think detracts from the value, and I'd be wondering "what else did this guy do?"

Maybe I'm cheap...

Need any / all documents or useful links for 1978 BMW R100S....Sell Yours?

FYI - I paid $4,000 for a 1977 with 11,000 miles on it last year. It had been in storage for 30+ years and was basically immaculate. It needed basic maintenance to get it road worthy.

Sell
Sell
Sell

As a buyer, I would want a $1,000 discount to deal with the paint: valve covers, wheels, intake tubes, and engine front cover. On second thought, the paint would be a non starter for me.

What about turn signal on front fender help or hurt value?

They can only be stock once. Fortunately many BMW guys ride them like they come out of the box. Some others are bitten by the farkle bug. I have always laughed at the term "invested", that is code for I wanted to make mine cool and different. The way to be cool and different with a 25+ year old bike is have it be bone stock.

Stock bikes are always worth more, well unless the bike is stock with a fresh set of Ohlins installed.

As a buyer, I would want a $1,000 discount to deal with the paint: valve covers, wheels, intake tubes, and engine front cover. On second thought, the paint would be a non starter for me.

More discount for Lester wheels, ride-off centerstand.

Back