• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

1978 BMW R100s - Value

b25bsaboy

Good evening,

I am in the mist of completing an appraisal for a low mileage 1978 BMW R100S that was imported from the US into Canada. One of the checks and balances that I do is to run a comparitive check on value's. What the gentleman paid and what's the true value are not adding up.

Thought I come on the board and get some opinions. It might be easier to respond to me privately so that I don't start a war of words.:brow

Attachments

• P1040238.jpg
    P1040238.jpg
    90.6 KB · Views: 457
aside from the red....I like the paint scheme.

I see 78' R100S' w/low mileage and in VG+ condition listed for anywhere from $3800 to $6500...I do not know what they actually sell for though.

FYI - I paid $4,000 for a 1977 with 11,000 miles on it last year. It had been in storage for 30+ years and was basically immaculate. It needed basic maintenance to get it road worthy.

I view prices occasionally in flea market, usually airheads, and think to meself, "What can the seller be thinking? Do they want to sell, or are they dreaming?" Next, the mileage numbers. Seems a lot of bikes list at a low number, some look like they've gone the distance, put away wet, mileage?, 14K, 27K, with the owner saying something like, "Odometer indicates, whatever." Caveat emptor seems alive and well.

The red S above was a great buy at four grand. Wish I could find another.

The multiple colored OP bike has a lot of work done. Maybe a lot of good work like in the mechanical department.

Last edited:
hey Kurt, I don't think that NADA guideline is rooted in the real world. they list a 92 R 100 GSPD in excellent condition ( which they define as concours or show quality ) at $3400. where can I find that? I am ready to buy one today. thanks for all you do.

hey Kurt, I don't think that NADA guideline is rooted in the real world.

Ha! I suppose the "real world" is what the buyer/seller finally agree to. Probably the NADA numbers are better for cars since there are so dang many of them trading hands...bikes, not so much!

As a buyer, I would want a $1,000 discount to deal with the paint: valve covers, wheels, intake tubes, and engine front cover. On second thought, the paint would be a non starter for me.

I think that paint job ruined the value. That is butt ugly. Just my "old fart" humble opinion.:)

The one above by Mikeyork5 is stunning, but then again I like red.:dance I am not sure what we would do without Kurt, as I enjoy most if not all of his opinions.:thumbRinty, you might even see this ride around town this year, as the owner really wants to show off his ride.:burnout

But seriously, I appreciate eveyone's comments on the subject matter of value for the R100S.

I fixed your post for you. ;)
Actually - it was purchased from my cousin at what we mutually agreed was a 'fair' price. I think he liked the idea of kind of keeping it in the family of sorts. Also, I put about $1,200 or so of parts (tires, battery, fluids, gas line, carb rebuild kits, fluids & filters, etc.) into it plus my labor. So with that and shipping from Michigan to Calif. I'm into it right around $6K. So even as pristine as it is, I don't think it's worth a whole lot more than that. But like they say in the car business (my business) - 'there's an ass for every seat' and 'it's worth what somebody will pay for it'.

Actually - it was purchased from my cousin at what we mutually agreed was a 'fair' price. I think he liked the idea of kind of keeping it in the family of sorts. Also, I put about $1,200 or so of parts (tires, battery, fluids, gas line, carb rebuild kits, fluids & filters, etc.) into it plus my labor. So with that and shipping from Michigan to Calif. I'm into it right around $6K. So even as pristine as it is, I don't think it's worth a whole lot more than that. But like they say in the car business (my business) - 'there's an ass for every seat' and 'it's worth what somebody will pay for it'.

I agree, 4K is a fair price, but your bike is special. As an example, this is a photo of my old Motorsport that I sold 2 years ago. A collector in Alabama bought it for $13K, much higher than I even think it was worth.

Wayne

Attachments

• My old Motorsport.jpg
    My old Motorsport.jpg
    59.3 KB · Views: 352
I agree, 4K is a fair price, but your bike is special. As an example, this is a photo of my old Motorsport that I sold 2 years ago. A collector in Alabama bought it for $13K, much higher than I even think it was worth.

Wayne

I would have to think long and hard if somebody offered me that kind of money for mine -

FYI - I paid $4,000 for a 1977 with 11,000 miles on it last year. It had been in storage for 30+ years and was basically immaculate. It needed basic maintenance to get it road worthy.

Yes, made the cover of Airmail too. :). Nice write up as well.

Wayne

Back