• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

Sight Glass Leaking in 2008 R1200RT

rps58

My 2008 R1200RT only has 30,000 miles on it, but the oil level window is leaking. I have tried to find information on how to replace it, but to no avail. Is there an existing thread on this? If not, can anyone go over the procedure for me. It doesn't look like it should be too difficult.

Thanks,

Bob Sherwood
Statesboro, GA
2008 R1200RT

Thanks, that was a good link. I have not had any luck searching on this site! Ordered the part from Bob's BMW and will give it a go when the new part gets here. It will be interesting, at least to me, to see whether or not the part they send me is plastic or glass. The link you sent had a link to the BMW shop write up, only takes $300 in special tools to do it their way.

If its glass, tap gently...

Not a common issue. the new circlip design stopped a lot of the problems with the earlier design- for which some carried spares when traveling.

I too would be curious to see if they have gone to using glass. Every one I have messed with on K or R bikes since 1985 have been a metal backer, a plastic lens, and a rubber surround. To remove them I melt a hole in the plastic lens, insert a screwdriver, and pry them out. Melting a hole eliminates shards and tends to reinforce the area right around the hole making it easier to pry without breaking up the lens.

Prior to the R1200 models there was/is no circlip. Friction is all that holds them in. Once they start to seep the oil between the rubber and the engine case lubricates them pretty well and they can get pushed out by crankcase pressure. Big mess!

With the circlip they leak but don't pop out = little mess. :)

There were always a few complaints from those who used inappropriate solvents near or on those plastic windows and fogged them. I've not tried to evaluate the solvent resistance of BMWs sight windows but my training as a chemist would cause me to avoid more aggressive items like acetone, mek, some chlorinated solvents, etc. And not worry about stuff like paint thinner, naptha, hexane, etc.
Anybody got a solvent table or specific knowledge of what plastic is used?
(Glass of course will resist all solvents one is likely to run into in a shop. Only very concentrated hot bases, HF and similar aggressive stuff are able to eat glass but you won't be using those near your bike)

All the new ones are made out of glass. You would be extremely lucky to still find a plastic version.
Unfortunate, there are very few people around that have managed to install them without braking. Considering how easy they are to break now, without special tools, if a BMW dealer is reasonably close, I would get a quote and get them to install it.
Then if he breaks one or two, it's not your problem.

All the new ones are made out of glass. You would be extremely lucky to still find a plastic version.
Unfortunate, there are very few people around that have managed to install them without braking. Considering how easy they are to break now, without special tools, if a BMW dealer is reasonably close, I would get a quote and get them to install it.
Then if he breaks one or two, it's not your problem.

Wish I had read that earlier. Although the new one is made out of glass, it doesn't really matter as I have not been able to get the old one out. I tried the hot soldering iron trick and then threaded a screw into it, but it just broke up the plastic and the seal didn't budge. I also invested in a seal puller to no avail along with a 30mm socket that looks like I won't be able to use!! Those that have theirs "blow" out should count their blessings. The nearest dealer to me is in Charleston, SC (about 150 miles from Statesboro, GA) so that is one of the reasons for trying to do it myself. I spent most of today going to Savannah to buy a wheel chock and installing it on my utility trailer. I called the dealer in Charleston and he is is to call me back and let me know when he might be able to work me in. If I would have received the recall notice a couple of days earlier I am pretty sure I would have scheduled a visit for both items. Right now I just want to be able to ride my bike again! Once I get a date to take it in I will have to recruit some strong backs to help me push the bike up onto the trailer. What a PIA! I have never heard of a problem like this on any other make of bike. I really like the bike, but stuff like this makes me second guess my decision to buy one.

Bob Sherwood
Statesboro, GA

Back