Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Interesting

Interesting

So, the sleep schedule is still a mess from DST changeover and then Saturday evening first Formula One race of the year from Melbourne started midnight in my time zone.

So this meant I was ready to watch a late nite movie Sunday night and found

The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo on FXXHD

I'd heard of it and the book author and setting was Swedish which is a plus for me.

During the showing a commercial for the BMW R nineT was quite interesting.

Same guy maybe from the print ads, going to a bar, the message "you'll be cool if you ride one of these."

Bit different message than the usual BMW "adventure" promise I'd say.

This was really late night, just before or after midnight depending on your time zone, and the rest of the ads attached to this movie were fairly nonconventional, too, maybe even one for phone sex. Sunday night.

To me very interesting from BMW.

But, hey, this is after all something of a "motorcycle movie," as the (very dark, very tattooed) heroine did lots of fairly frantic urban motorcycle riding in the flick.

So, in the S1000 subforum there's been a discussion of "demograpics." The mind boggles thinking of BMW's perhaps target market for the R nineT. Will they become MOA members?
    Kent Christensen
    '12 R1200RT, '02 R1100S

Fortis Fortuna Adiuvat Omega Man's Avatar
    Doesn't surprise me as the bikes sorta follow- generationally. The movie was real good in both Swedish and English.
    She was on this-

And some interesting background here- http://www.returnofthecaferacers.com...otorcycle.html

Even the F800GS feels a lot more "sporty" when I have all the bags off

OM
    "You can do good or you can do well. Sooner or later they make you choose." MI5
    Mod Squad
    2009 F800GS 1994 TW200

Quote Originally Posted by Omega Man View Post
    Doesn't surprise me as the bikes sorta follow- generationally. The movie was real good in both Swedish and English.
    She was on this-

And some interesting background here- http://www.returnofthecaferacers.com...otorcycle.html

Even the R 1100 RT feels a lot more "sporty" when I have all the bags off

OM
    Fixed it for ya!

When the hook of Stieg Larssen's writing was set, he quickly reeled me in. A tragedy that his life ended so soon.

We enjoyed the movies, in both languages.
    Rinty

Are there plans afoot to make the other two books in the series into films? The Swedish version made $90 million and the US version made $140 million, so it seems financially feasible.
    Kevin Huddy
    Silver City, Montana
    MOA# 24,790 Ambassador

http://www.rd400racer.com rd400racer's Avatar
    FWIW, watch the Swedish version of all 3 Dragon movies. The Americanized version is nowhere near as good. I did all 3 in a row and felt like somebody had taken a chunk out of me. Just brilliant.

And I feel your pain on the late night F1 broadcasts. I have to watch them live and this Asian loop of races wipes me out for the weekend (I watch qualifying live too). But this is setting up to be a cracking year in F1!
    http://www.rd400racer.com/

2001 Ducati Monster; 1996 R1100GS; 1985 RZ350; 1977 RD400

The sub-title version in English,of all 3 are available on "Netflix" DVD.........Very very good stuff. In fact, watching those we got into a lot of Norwegian, Danish, and Swedish movies with sub-titles. Most are excellent in their production value, plots, and writing twists..........God bless.......Dennis

Quote Originally Posted by akbeemer View Post
    Are there plans afoot to make the other two books in the series into films? The Swedish version made $90 million and the US version made $140 million, so it seems financially feasible.
    http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/new...l-whats-416621

http://www.empireonline.com/news/story.asp?NID=38138
    Rinty

Is the commercial that started the thread???

Ich Fahre Nicht Zu Schnell, Ich Fliege Nur Niedrig
    Oklahoma Adventure Trail

Quote Originally Posted by lkchris View Post
    ....and the rest of the ads attached to this movie were fairly nonconventional, too, maybe even one for phone sex. .......
    So, did you get the number?....

Quote Originally Posted by lkchris View Post
    So, in the S1000 subforum there's been a discussion of "demograpics." The mind boggles thinking of BMW's perhaps target market for the R nineT. Will they become MOA members?
    Or should we ask, will current MOA members be interested in the R Nine T?

Yes!!!!

OK it's not as practical as my R1200R but I really dig the R Nine T!

BH

the commcerical

...That being said (my previous post) I do not like the commercial as it certainly seems to be pandering to some demographic. Seeing how this bike is somehow giving a nod to its heritage I'd love to see a commercial that gives us a glimpse of the progression terminating with the retro homage of the R Nine T. That's not really the same thing as this Ferrari-Shell commercial, but you get the idea...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1_kwxzU4wL4

BH

Doesn't Wunderlich or someone make a $4,000 kit that makes an oilhead resemble an R90/S.

Anything BMW can do to counter the milquetoast image associated with Gold Wings, HDs, V-Stroms, Teneres, etc., is fine with me. They keep their cars as far from Lexus as they can. They are way, way, way in front and should say so. No guilt.
    Kent Christensen
    '12 R1200RT, '02 R1100S

Interesting time to post that commercial.

Here's my take.

They will probably pull in a younger customer with the R Nine T. That ad was placed with the viewing demographic in mind, for sure.

At the local show, there were a lot of younger riders, as well as a lot of established BMW riders, checking out that bike. That said, I don't think they'd become BMW MOA members. It's just not what typical younger folks do, i.e. join older, established organizations.

On a side note, I've only read the first Steig Larsson book, but saw both the American and Swedish versions of "The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo" on successive nights. Frankly, I liked them both. They were both just different takes on the same story. That's what movies made from books do; they're rarely completely accurate, and often disappoint. I wasn't disappointed by either of the versions of the movie. They just told the story a bit differently. Reading the book first was a huge advantage.
    -----------------------------------------
    Brad D. - Member #105766
    '77 R100RS - Black Beauty (big pipe, baby!)
    '94 R1100RS - Sylvia