• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

Center stand or not?

Illiya

Hello friends. I am about to purchase my first BMW, and would appreciate you telling me the advantages of a center stand. I have read here in the past my new bike would take up slightly less storage space in the garage, but can you tell me any other advantages? And you may think this is a dumb question, but what is the proper way to mount and dismount a bike with a center stand? Thank you for your replies.

Should be some interesting answers coming.

I will weigh in to start. The center stand is great for doing maintenance. On the center stand it does take up a little less space. Depending on the bike, you can also swing the bike fore and aft very easily. When I park the bike in my shop, I put it on the center stand and swing it 180 degrees to drive out.

As to the proper way of getting on the bike, I think there should be good opinions coming for this one. In a beginners motorcycle course, they taught my girlfriend to roll the bike off the center stand and onto the side stand. For me, I am big enough that I just climb on using the foot peg, get settled, and heave to off the stand. I'm not worried about breaking anything because it would give me a reason to drink beer and fix it.

A center stand makes maintenance related activities easier. Things such as lubricating a chain (if present), inspecting the wheels and tires, putting air in the tires, plugging a tubeless tire, checking the oil level, changing the oil and filter, changing final drive fluid (if present), changing transmission fluid, and some other tasks. I only use the center stands on our bikes when performing maintenance and when storing a bike in my shop. You can do everything you need to do without a center stand, but it is easier with one. After all, Harleys do not have a center stand. I normally push the bike off the center stand and mount the bike while on the side stand. On occasion I will rock the bike off the center stand while mounted. Some riders will ride off the center stand using engine power, but that never seemed like a good idea to me.

Height issue

In my opinion the only reason to not get a center stand is because you had to lower the bike a lot. Im going to get a F700GS (as soon as I make garage space) and even though I'm short I'm not getting the lowered suspension because it doesnt come with a center stand.

What bike are you looking at?

In my opinion the only reason to not get a center stand is because you had to lower the bike a lot. Im going to get a F700GS (as soon as I make garage space) and even though I'm short I'm not getting the lowered suspension because it doesnt come with a center stand.

What bike are you looking at?
Thank you for the responses. I am about to buy a G650 GS.

It gives you options. And should you ever need to get a flat wheel off on the side of the road, you will be SO HAPPY you have one.

If you intend to let somebody else do all of the maintenance on your motorcycle (including frequent chain cleaning and lubrication), and you intend to call a wrecker to have the bike towed every time anything at all (like a flat tire for instance) goes wrong, then you probably don't have a use for a centerstand. On the other hand, if the foregoing does not describe you, you will regret not having a centerstand.

On a G650GS a centerstand is worth its cost if for no other reason than lubricating the chain. (or if you have an automatic oiler, then for cleaning up the mess). :)

Center stands are great for all the reasons mentioned. Four caveats:

1. On anything but a flat, hard and very level surface, use the side stand with something to spread the weight under the side stand so it doesn't sink into hot asphalt, sand, wet grass, etc. LOTS of bikes have toppled off their center stands when conditions were not ideal. If that bike leans even a little to the right on the center stand, you may find gravity yanking it from your grasp when you take it off the center stand.

2. Put down the side stand EVERY TIME before you dismount the bike - even if you plan to use the center stand. When your right foot encounters that luggage you forgot about or your left foot slips, you will be glad that side stand keeps the bike from toppling on you. Also, leave the bike in 1st gear before you shut off the engine. Especially important if the bike if the bike is pointed even slightly downhill.

3. My usual method of taking the bike off the center stand has my left hand on the left grip and my right hand on the lift handle. Again, good to have the side stand down and the bike in gear. No runaways and the bike is secure as you mount it.

4. Getting the bike ONTO the center stand is something you should have demonstrated and then practice with a spotter. For many bikes, this is pretty easy once you know the technic. For others, not easy for even strong men.

Good question. Hope the answers help you to use the center stand for all the right reasons and in the right ways.

I swore off chains when the bike I had did not have a center stand. The aggravation of maintaining a chain without a center stand drove me to it. I have had 9 bikes since then without a chain. I have had two bikes without a center stand that had a sight glass to check the oil level. It is a pain without assistance. I bought an extendable mechanics mirror to check my oil. A center stand is also very helpful when washing the bike. The bike is level and you can turn the wheels to wash them (you can slide the front one). If a center stand is available, I would get it.

Yes to the centre stand

Excellent and definitive responses from Paul Glaves and BCKRider,my 2 cents worth.

I tried that with my 2013 RT. I couldn't do it. Am I missing something or is it brute strength?

Larry I have never tried that sort of swing on my heavy bike.I suppose it requires a careful application of forces in correct directions rather than brute force;ie,how to keep the centre stand from collapsing or the bike from tipping would require some practice and experience. I can imagine how it could be done(grease the floor??!!) but,not sure I want to try it!

Dieselyoda can probably tell you exactly how to do it.

I tried that with my 2013 RT. I couldn't do it. Am I missing something or is it brute strength?

When I've done it, I had to pull it to one side so a lot of the weight was on one side so it could pivot around and the lighter side could slide.

Dieselyoda can probably tell you exactly how to do it.

I don't think I can tell anybody exactly how to do it. I have an older Oilhead, easy. My Brick and Bricklet, easy. All my Airheads in the past, even easier.

The Brick and Oilhead are heavy.

For me, leave the steering unlocked, a little lift on the rear and walk with it.

I know that it isn't a very good explanation. I can also swing my bikes on the sidestand. That takes some coordination.

It might be one of those things where you need to find a rhythm.

BMW does offer a factory center stand for the lowered version of this bike as well as the normal height one.

I am pretty sure that if you order the lowered suspension they will take away the center stand as an option.

My 650GS is lowered (not factory) and I cannot get it on the center stand by myself due to that reason. I can get my 1100R on the center stand no problem.

I am pretty sure that if you order the lowered suspension they will take away the center stand as an option.

My 650GS is lowered (not factory) and I cannot get it on the center stand by myself due to that reason. I can get my 1100R on the center stand no problem.

BMW offers two distinctly different center stands for G650GS models: the "normal" stand for standard-height bikes, and a special shortened stand, intended for use with the lowered version of this bike. I had one.

When I took 2" out of the F800, I shortened the center and side-stand....not hard to do.
OM

Back