• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

New Clutch Friction Plate Thickness?

rkildu

Does anyone know what the new OEM BMW Clutch Friction Plate thickness is? Specifically for an 1150RT.

Thanks
Rod

Factory manual lists most everything but the thickness when new. I don't think there is much more than 5.5mm there on a new one. If you have a friendly dealer maybe they will measure one from stock for you?

Technical Data 21 Clutch R 1150 RT

Type Single dry plate with high-leverage pressure plate
Clutch plate dia. mm (in) 165 (6.4960)
Wear limit mm (in) 4.8 (0.1890)
(Measured with caliper tips pressed by hand against rivets of clutch plate)
Operation hydraulic
Piston dia.
Master cylinder mm (in) 13 (0.5118)
Slave cylinder mm (in) 24 (0.9449)
Hydraulic fluid, clutch-release circuit DOT 4 brake fluid

Thanks folks, I guess I'm in good shape with 6.2.

I know I have plenty of wear left and both the xmission and clutch splines are perfect. I'm just trying to Guesstimate my rate of wear.
It's a 2003 R1150RT with 85K. Unfortunately I have very little maintenance history on it.

Rod

Thanks folks, I guess I'm in good shape with 6.2.

I know I have plenty of wear left and both the xmission and clutch splines are perfect. I'm just trying to Guesstimate my rate of wear.
It's a 2003 R1150RT with 85K. Unfortunately I have very little maintenance history on it.

Rod

Suspect it might not be original with that mileage and little wear.
Just sayin'

"Suspect it might not be original with that mileage and little wear.
Just sayin' "

Yes, That's my theory also, I'm guessing it got new transmission splines and clutch not too many miles back. Everything just looks way to good! It did have a notchie drive shaft front u-joint too. I got a good, low mileage used one from Beemer Boneyard to replace it. I had to get a leaking pinion seal on the final drive fixed too.

FYI, my spare Trans was original replaced by PO at 80k, splines perfect disk at 5.8mm.
Current Trans with 96k (2 yrs ago) splines perfect, not sure about the disk, it's still going. It now has at least 114k on it.
I'm rebuilding the spare and will install with new disk. Coming soon!

FYI, my spare Trans was original replaced by PO at 80k, splines perfect disk at 5.8mm.
Current Trans with 96k (2 yrs ago) splines perfect, not sure about the disk, it's still going. It now has at least 114k on it.
I'm rebuilding the spare and will install with new disk. Coming soon!

Well, that is certainly interesting. So now I'm not sure about mine, maybe it is original? The one thing I do know now is it's current condition. So I guess I will just put it back together and go riding knowing that my drive train is in very good shape. I will monitor and check it again in a few years.

Thanks
Rod

Back